Super Bowl contender and no backup

Diehardblues

Reaction score
we'll find out if he gets the call.
from what i saw in the pre-season...and how long he's been in this system...plus the talent around him...yes.
i think he is capable of navigating us thru the muck til Dak returns...IF that were to happen.
hopefully,#4 starts sun night.
The last minute signing of Grier certainly wouldn’t support they are confident with Cooper.

rambo2

Reaction score
And this was the big short coming that many complained about. Jerry really seems to have a dead spot in his brain for backup QB's.
He got Dalton last year and so far he has listened to his coaches about Rush.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same can be said about being a SB contender and not having a legit 1T

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Again, Will Grier can BALL. If Dak is out multiple weeks, i fully expect Grier to be the backup QB by next week or the week after. He has serious tools and arm talent as well as the ability to move around both inside and outside the pocket. Theres a reason why McClay, Stephen, Fat Mac, and Kellen & Co. went out and got him on the team prior to the season. Will he lead us to the promised land if Dak misses the whole season? No. But can he win a few games and keep us in the heat of things for a few weeks until Dak comes back? Most definitely, and 100% most definitely moreso than Cooper "The Floaty" Rush (a nod to every single one of his passes looking like they float in the air for 56 minutes)...
"

Reid1boys

Reaction score
packers- Jordan love a first round pick

Colt McCoy- serviceable backup who has plenty of starts in career

rams- wolford can’t say much on that one

chargers- chase daniel (eh but still take over rush)

ravens- Huntley not much to comment either

bengals- Brandon Allen cooper rush like

The cowboys always do this except when we had orton and dalton. And more than ever we did it this year with a QB coming off a devastating injury

Everyone of those guys are a big, fat nothing.
How many NFL passes in a reg season game has Jordon Love thrown? Want an idea of what he would look like? See niners and bears.

The rest of those teams are in basically the exact same boat the Cowboys are in. Only Chase Daniel has experience, but it makes no difference. Herbert goes down or Murray and their season is over.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How is it that we are finally a contender this year and we do not have a reliable backup QB?

Foles
Newton
Flacco (doubt eagles would have traded)

im sure I’m missing others as well.

I don’t believe either one of the Joneses thought we would be a Super Bowl contender this season. The prognostications for the Cowboys heading into the season weren’t real positive. I don’t think Jerry or Stephen thought we would be 5-1 at this point. They thought they were going to be good last season so they prepared with Andy Dalton as the backup. Jerry said on the radio not long ago that the team he has this season is the team he thought he was going to have last season.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
How is it that we are finally a contender this year and we do not have a reliable backup QB?

Foles
Newton

Foles is the only one there I’d be interested in. Flacco is done and Cam is a idiot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He got Dalton last year and so far he has listened to his coaches about Rush.

Dalton for one year was more of an outlier. Most of the time, he has developmental scrubs behind the starter.

Were his coaches telling him to have backup scrubs or was he telling them the salary cap wouldnt afford a real backup?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
you don't know if you have a capable back-up until he's called upon.

i'm not trading draft picks for foles.

if Dak can't go...lets find out if rush is capable.
with these weapons...he should be.

Example: 2016

Romo goes down. 90 seconds later, my brother texts me, ‘#^^*##}<€€%##}}|{#>€€><%^**+*%%% season over.’

Me: ‘No’

Big brothers are ALWAYS right.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Example: 2016

Romo goes down. 90 seconds later, my brother texts me, ‘#^^*##}<€€%##}}|{#>€€><%^**+*%%% season over.’

Me: ‘No’

Big brothers are ALWAYS right.
i don't know about ALWAYS.
but.
you don't know what you got...til you need it.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I heard Philip Rivers would come back to the right team. I would go ahead and sign him just in case.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trubisky is probably well suited for the Buffalo offense for a couple games.

I don't think Gabbert can run the TB offense any where as well as Brady can, and it isn't like they have a great running game to go through.

ANd McCoy, sure, can give a chance, but that offense runs through Murray as well.
Of course the backups aren't going to do as well as the starters. I don't think anyone expects that. It's just a matter of whether they can do well enough to give the team a chance.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Foles
Newton

Have you seen Foles and Cam? We absolutely have their level of talent as a backup. Nobody wants Foles or Cam to start, nobody.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I've never seen a sports community that had a weirder view (almost an obsession for some) on backup QB's than Cowboys fans. If Dak goes down, the season is over. Doesn't matter who the backup is.

rambo2

Reaction score
Dalton for one year was more of an outlier. Most of the time, he has developmental scrubs behind the starter.

Were his coaches telling him to have backup scrubs or was he telling them the salary cap wouldnt afford a real backup?
Many times they brought in what were known as real backups.