1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Super Bowl or Bust. How long does Mike get?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Diehardblues, Jan 6, 2020.

1. sunalsorises

sunalsorises Well-Known Member

759 Messages
    1,259 Likes Received
    Of course not but it is funny to spoof on considering some outlets tried to make it look that way. Besides, football is supposed to be fun.

2. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,555 Messages
    3,685 Likes Received
    For me it depends on if the team is improving each year. If we continue to improve and get farther every year, I would expect a SB within 3 years. If we go 8 - 8 in his first season I will give him a pass. If we go 8-8 again in his second season and he is making multiple repeated mistakes I will likely be calling for his head after season two. If we start a yo-yo pattern of playoffs followed by no playoffs then I will call for his head. I expect we will go farther than we have in decades next season. I predict a Superbowl appearance but I will not be mad if we do not make it after a single season. McCarthy has proven he is a good capable coach. There will be none of this learning as he goes or Jerry having to "train" him. I expect he will be light years better than the failed experiment he is replacing and the best part is Jerry will be able to make honest assessments after each season instead of the rose colored glasses assessments he made for his failed pet project.

lonestar2288 likes this.
  3. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

5,208 Messages
    5,680 Likes Received
    I agree but I'm looking at this as if McCarthy can make the Cowboys relevant every year he will stick around. Even though we say this team is built to win now they still aren't as good as the chiefs or Ravens

PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,205 Messages
    102,696 Likes Received
    10 years. If he hasn't shown anything by then he probably never will.

But I would do a coaching search then with the backup plan of retaining him if nobody wows me.

PA Cowboy Fan and Diehardblues like this.
  5. Haimerej

Haimerej Well-Known Member

2,080 Messages
    2,710 Likes Received
    Who really thinks Mike McCarthy will be the first HC to win a Super Bowl with 2 different franchises?

Diehardblues likes this.
  6. LovinItAll

LovinItAll Well-Known Member

597 Messages
    655 Likes Received
    I think the expectations of the HC SHOULD be the same as the expectations I had for Garrett, to wit:

- Win the division
    - Get to AT LEAST the divisional round and be competitive in that round whether we advance or not

By realistic NFL standards/statistics, making the divisional round is a very successful season. Making the NFC title game is exceptional. Making the Super Bowl is phenomenal. Winning the SB is historic.

My point is that it is statistically unusual for teams to reach the Super Bowl unless their hometown is Foxboro (over the past 10 years, anyway). Further, many coaches who I would consider great are currently watching the playoffs from home. Our sport is fickle and we play with a funny shaped ball that bounces funny. All teams need some good bounces to make the SB.

7. LovinItAll

LovinItAll Well-Known Member

597 Messages
    655 Likes Received
    If he doesn't take us to the playoffs within his first two years, he's gone. Jones made it clear yesterday: he expects results immediately. and I guarantee you that means he expects to see his team in the playoffs next year. If his (and many others) assessment of our talent is correct, we should see the post season next year, not year 3. That was the whole point of hiring McCarthy and not a college coach.

zeke21 likes this.
  8. zeke21

zeke21 Well-Known Member

660 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    I give him 3 years to make a conference final.
    5 years to make the superbowl IF we have made conference final/won divisions/looked competent whilst doing so

I recognise that it takes a lot of luck sometimes to make superbowls and they are hard to get in the modern era.. so I don't think that successful coaching purely comes down to that.. but I think he has to show real progress within 3 years.. like we have to be tough to beat EVERY week, EVERY season, EVERY phase. If we have a legitimate football team that isn't garbage stats or showboats.. but a team that is playing 10 win+ seasons repeatedly and really matching it with the top teams (not beating up on the Giants) then I will be happy. Hopefully if we are doing those things that will also translate to playoffs wins and superbowls etc.

9. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

9,069 Messages
    8,073 Likes Received
    How many good coaches have coached multiple teams and won one Super Bowl, much less two?

More often, coaches with that kind of success stay with their team until they decide to retire.

Diehardblues likes this.
  10. rnr_honeybadger

rnr_honeybadger Well-Known Member

3,937 Messages
    4,992 Likes Received
    I think this year proved that this isn't really the case. Yes on paper we have talent but putting that talent together is an entirely different thing.

11. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

29,230 Messages
    17,172 Likes Received
    Our team decisions aren’t determined by what you or I think. It’s based on what comes out of Jerry and Stephens mouth and how thats perceived by fans, media and analysts which the over riding message which was hyped was this was a very talented team ready to make a deeper run in the playoffs.

12. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

5,641 Messages
    6,585 Likes Received
    who cares? we already wasted 10 trying to train a guy who wasn't much of an x and o coach. I'm just glad the clapping clown is gone.

13. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

4,116 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    Sounds good to me. Hopefully that happens. I am not holding my breath though.

14. Diehardblues

29,230 Messages
    17,172 Likes Received
    The answer is none. Zero, zilch, notta. Never been done. No HC has EVER repeated with another franchise.

And that list includes HOFamers and some of the games greats like Lombardi, Shula , Weebanks, Stram, Parcells , Ditka and soon to be Vermeil. That’s just off the top of my head.

15. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

27,581 Messages
    17,992 Likes Received
    Arent you the one that stared this thread claiming that its SB or bust for McCarthy? Then you must think that this roster is SB caliber. And that would also fly in the face of the horrible job your hero Garrett did then at 8-8 with the same roster.

16. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

19,500 Messages
    36,441 Likes Received
    We'll have people calling for McCarthy's head if the Cowboys lose their first preseason game.

17. Captain-Crash

Captain-Crash Well-Known Member

5,641 Messages
    6,585 Likes Received
    yeah, let's hope he does bad so we can say, "I hope you're happy Garrett is gone" which nobody in their right mind is ever going to say.

18. Diehardblues

29,230 Messages
    17,172 Likes Received
    You really struggle grasping my intents.

19. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

9,069 Messages
    8,073 Likes Received
    You misunderstood what I said. Most SB winning coaches don't go somewhere else.

20. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

27,581 Messages
    17,992 Likes Received
    Nope, just not buying your silly excuse for why you supported Garrett. You thought Garrett was a good coach...........PERIOD.