Super Bowl or Bust. How long does Mike get?

Them

Reaction score
...He has a 5 year contract...unless he completely stinks it up...he'll get his 5 years...of course I want a SB this season....but that's me!...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only head coach Jerry fired after only 2 seasons was Chan Gailey and he later said it was one of his biggest mistakes not giving him more time.

So for anybody paying attention, that means Big Mike will get at least 3 seasons.
Could be but pending the results I wouldn’t etched that in stone.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Well, the fanatics thinks winning a Superbowl is easy. If McCarthy can't win a SB within 3 yrs or less, get another.
Amazing.
If he gets us in the NFCCG in the next 2 or 3 years I'll be ecstatic. lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not at all. I was proud to have supported him. He was the best puppet. A product of our dysfunctional organization.

No, failure isn’t 85-67. Was their disappointment and heartbreak ? Sure. Did he fall short of our goals ? Yes.

And you look foolish doing it. LOL

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And you look foolish doing it. LOL
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

You obviously have still not learned about me and my stance on issues. I have a history of taking on the controversial and unpopular subjects with great pride and relentless effort.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Could be but pending the results I wouldn’t etched that in stone.
If JJ actually let’s MM coach then we will see improvement. I still think if he is given enough power to control the players there will be some upset faces by the players. The lifestyle they are accustomed to has now ended. There will be resistance at first. Remember the movie Christmas vacation when the old aunt and uncle showed up and Chevy chance was holding that package and said she wrapped her cat. The box was jumping all over while he was holding it. Lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If JJ actually let’s MM coach then we will see improvement. I still think if he is given enough power to control the players there will be some upset faces by the players. The lifestyle they are accustomed to has now ended. There will be resistance at first. Remember the movie Christmas vacation when the old aunt and uncle showed up and Chevy chance was holding that package and said she wrapped her cat. The box was jumping all over while he was holding it. Lol.
It always comes down to results. If we’d of broken thru in one of those divisional rounds Jason would have been embraced by all as best HC of this era. That’s often the fine line between success and failure.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It always comes down to results. If we’d of broken thru in one of those divisional rounds Jason would have been embraced by all as best HC of this era. That’s often the fine line between success and failure.
Problem is that JG hit his ceiling as a HC. No matter what control he had over the team when you get to the playoffs most of the teams are of fairly equal talent and that’s where coaching comes into play. Situational stuff and in game adjustments. JG lacked there. I think clear control of the players helps with discipline. The team taking on the attitude and personality of the HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Problem is that JG hit his ceiling as a HC. No matter what control he had over the team when you get to the playoffs most of the teams are of fairly equal talent and that’s where coaching comes into play. Situational stuff and in game adjustments. JG lacked there. I think clear control of the players helps with discipline. The team taking on the attitude and personality of the HC.
I’d agree in playoffs Elite coaching is more important but so is Elite talent. It still came down to a couple plays determining the results. And often the difference between success and failure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

You obviously have still not learned about me and my stance on issues. I have a history of taking on the controversial and unpopular subjects with great pride and relentless effort.

"I have a history of taking controversial and unpopular subject"

Translation: You have a history of getting it all wrong

"With Pride and relentless effort"

Translation: You usually go down with the ship

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I’d agree in playoffs Elite coaching is more important but so is Elite talent. It still came down to a couple plays determining the results. And often the difference between success and failure.
For sure talent is indeed key but when players have to win despite the lack of coaching it makes it hard even for the elite players. I think things will change now. If we make the playoffs we have a coach that knows how to put these elite players where they need to be. Dak has the heart but needs that footwork to improve to get more accurate.

Gorgon

Reaction score
My over /under is 2 years.

If we haven’t made a Super Bowl in 2 years he’s toast.

If we miss playoffs again could be one and done.

A coach friend had a good point yesterday---a lifetime Bears fan. When Mike DItka came in as coach, he said,
"Our goal is a Super Bowl."
When Bill Walsh came into San Francisco, he said, "I want all of you to forget about a Super Bowl. Our goal is nothing less than a dynasty."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"I have a history of taking controversial and unpopular subject"

Translation: You have a history of getting it all wrong

"With Pride and relentless effort"

Translation: You usually go down with the ship
I appreciate your comments and keeping this thread on the front page.

I’ve never claimed to get it right all of the time. You really should get around the forum more. You’d see how much I call out Jason. You just seem to center around the issues I defend him on.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For sure talent is indeed key but when players have to win despite the lack of coaching it makes it hard even for the elite players. I think things will change now. If we make the playoffs we have a coach that knows how to put these elite players where they need to be. Dak has the heart but needs that footwork to improve to get more accurate.
I’d argued for much of this generation we’ve been a talent dependent franchise. And I’m not sure we still don’t have a HC who fits that mold.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I appreciate your comments and keeping this thread on the front page.

I’ve never claimed to get it right all of the time. You really should get around the forum more. You’d see how much I call out Jason. You just seem to center around the issues I defend him on.

No point now, your hero got booted for his failures.