News: Surprised backup QB Cooper Rush given a tender?

SSoup

Reaction score
No reason to not give him a tender. Doesn’t mean he can’t be replaced still. Ideally they draft a mid-late round QB for a developmental guy.
$2M (if I'm not mistaken on the price tag) isn't much for a veteran backup. Tendering him makes it less likely someone (like Garrett's Giants) would poach him, but it's not so much that we'd be uncomfortable paying him that much. It's many millions less than proven veteran free agent QBs will cost on the open market. And if we draft a QB (or sign an undrafted one) who outshines him this summer, we can always cut bait and move on.

I'm a little surprised we'd bother bringing him back instead of simply planning to go get a backup type who has experience with McCarthy from Green Bay. That's one of the first moves lots of offensive coaches like to make in a new city, bringing in a QB they know just to add someone to the QB room who knows their stuff inside and out.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm rooting for the guy, he is one of the most cerebral QBs in the NFL and he anticipates throws really well. Kitna worked on his arm strength last year and he should have started the last 2 games in 2019 when Dak was hurt and totally ineffective. We've never got to see him play with the starters, who knows he might be a good fit for MM WCO.

conner01

Reaction score
With wanting to get Prescott and Cooper signed and possible also getting Quinn there will be zero cap space so I very seriously doubt the Cowboys will go out and sign any vet QB. With all the actual needs I also seriously doubt the Cowboys will use any to the top 4 draft picks on a QB.
We could very easily sign a vey
They aren’t gonna pay 10 mil for a vet but they have the money
They may be more confident in rush than I am
I think he’s a waste of a roster spot but I wouldn’t use a draft pick this year on a QB

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-likely-tender-te-blake-jarwin-qb-cooper-rush

I was stunned to learn that Cowboys gave backup QB Cooper Rush a tender. So this is how much McCarthy-Kellen-Mussehemier group think that highly of da Coop ?

it doesn't mean anything in terms of dollars nor compensation picks with Rush, but I thought it was a typo error when I first read that news ticker.

was this more about liking a familiar face in a familiar system with some of the current coaches I wonder.

the jarwin move I could more understand as if some team swoops him up, it's practically leaves us with zero creditable TE help, going into this offseason FA/NFL draft.

"The restricted free-agent tenders are not guaranteed, and the Cowboys could look to free agency or the draft for a backup competition with Rush and Thorson."

I'd say it's merely a formality at this point.

Putting that tag on him doesn't mean you have to pay him. It may just buy you time to find a better alternative.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys will bring someone to compete. There is no way they go into camp with only 2 QB.

quickccc

Reaction score
White fell victim to the 'Garrett effect', where the longer backup quarterbacks are here, the worse they get.

Rush bounced back and showed decent improvement in this last preseason, at one while i thought the problem could be Kellen Moore when he had the one year stint as QB coach, but
while Dak and Rush showed improvement, Mike White simply did not, he looked no different than he walked in as a rookie. No improvement and thus he was bounced from the team altogether.
they did not even think enough of him to place him on the practice squad.

quickccc

Reaction score
First it's Nussmeier not Mussehemier. Second what does making a couple of very low cost tender offers have to do with what they think about Cooper?

You need to find something real to whine about.

LOL... no more than you whining over a typo "M " over an 'N" ... now that's finding sumthin' to whine about. :muttley:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush bounced back and showed decent improvement in this last preseason, at one while i thought the problem could be Kellen Moore when he had the one year stint as QB coach, but
while Dak and Rush showed improvement, Mike White simply did not, he looked no different than he walked in as a rookie. No improvement and thus he was bounced from the team altogether.
they did not even think enough of him to place him on the practice squad.

If by "improvement" for Rush you mean not playing himself off the team? Sure.

But he's gone from having an awesome preseason as a rookie to barely clinging to a roster spot. Being better than the abysmal Mike White who got progressively worse does not instill confidence. And "we don't know because he hasn't played" in reference to Rush doesn't either.

I'd gladly pay $1 or $2 million more for an established backup.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish Dak would sit out w/he's hurt for Rush to take over. This way we can see the excuses the Dak haters have on Rush" performance. It WILL happen. Karma never misses a beat!

quickccc

Reaction score
Mike White was a huge fail. He was one of Kellen Moore's pet projects.

and I've always got the feeling that the team wanted to bring more of a physical tool, stronger more powerful push down the field, driving the ball into tight passing lanes
rather than Noodle-Rush lobbying and loafing passes in spots.

If Rush has to be preoccupied with side stepping the initial rush, then that play immediately becomes dead, but last year preseason '19, he wasn't forcing and making the
stupid careless decisions and ball handling he had the preseason year before. Despite struggling some in camp according to the reports, he played 2019 preseason similar to his
impressive rookie year.

And backups tend to have the bigger flaws, but a definite weak arm where everything has to be going for him(perfect protection, run game, field position, etc) to have a decent game
and still zero game experience doesn't bring me comfort the next time Dak is having shoulder discomfort and issues, and needs a few games to recover while backup QB is
counted on to step up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no, he hasn't always performed well in preseason, as Rush was just dreadful a couple years ago in the preseason in 2018.

If Mike White was anything near close to the word decent, he would be on the team instead of Rush.
Cooper did turned it around by bouncing back to having a decent preseason last year in 2019.
That's true - he didn't look particularly good in the 2018 preseason. He did look good last year and in 2017 though. Still, it's hard to know what to think from preseason anyway because playing time with and against 1st teamers is limited. All we can do is hope the Cowboys are right about him.

quickccc

Reaction score
That's true - he didn't look particularly good in the 2018 preseason. He did look good last year and in 2017 though. Still, it's hard to know what to think from preseason anyway because playing time with and against 1st teamers is limited. All we can do is hope the Cowboys are right about him.

and I don't think there hasn't been any starting QB that has been spared from injury or missing a game in the last 20 years of the NFL. (mahomes, brady,rodgers, brees, Wilson, wentz, etc)
with the way concussions, shoulder separations, broken fingers, sprained ankles/knees go about with QBs, we just cannot take Dak's durability for granted.

Hate to say it much less think it, but as incredibly durable as Dak has been during his early NFL career, it's only a matter of time before we will need to depend upon that backup QB to
sub and perform while Dak is out. The closet we've came for being concerned about Dak missing a game for 1st time in his career was this past year vs 2nd game Philly.
- and we could tell his shoulder was really hampering and limiting him despite his gutty toughness to try to play through the pain and discomfort.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As sparse as Rush's legit action has been, there's likely room for doubt as to what he's actually worth. He's pretty accurate as long as a pass rush doesn't rattle him unduly. After all, he isn't the most agile guy around when it comes to avoiding a sack. He should be seeing significantly more reps this year in TC to determine his actual value to the team -- tender or no tender. I'll be looking forward to seeing him in TC this year. I'm betting most of us feel the same or at least, probably should. ;)

75boyz

Reaction score
And the “we like our guys” philosophy continues, sigh.

Yep. I still struggle with the part about keeping a one year OC after firing every other single coaching staff member in order to support a PR marketing campaign of a hands off approach and allowing the HC to do his job narrative.
But then that little Garrett over Wade scenario plays out in my mind and it's kinda hard to not see this happening again if all things were to go south during this upcoming season. Jerry would still have his guy lurking in the background just in case...
Just from a historical conspiracy theory perspective of course.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
We could very easily sign a vey
They aren’t gonna pay 10 mil for a vet but they have the money
They may be more confident in rush than I am
I think he’s a waste of a roster spot but I wouldn’t use a draft pick this year on a QB

I think you need anew adding machine and readd because wasn't Prescott, Cooper and Quinn are signed and the rookie allotment there won't be anything left of the available cap space.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
LOL... no more than you whining over a typo "M " over an 'N" ... now that's finding sumthin' to whine about. :muttley:

If it was just the "n" instead of you "m" I wouldn't have even brought the spelling up but it still has slipped by you that you also added an "h" and pretty much messed up everything past the "uss".

Also it was to show you how foolish your comments were by doing it right back at you.