News: Surprised backup QB Cooper Rush given a tender?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure where you've been but Prescott already rejected a contract that would pay him 34 mil a year. Maybe in your fantasy world players still do cheap early years but that went out several years ago when players caught on that when they had back loaded contracts they never saw the biggest parts of the contract. Now players want front loaded with guaranteed money to make sure they get all the money.

Please stop trying to be a GM.
A couple of questions:

1. Did either Prescott, his agent, or anyone with the Cowboys say Prescott rejected a contract that would pay him $34 million per year?
2. Even if Prescott did reject that, how do we know the annual salary figure was the problem rather than the length of the contract or the guaranteed amount?

kskboys

Reaction score
People said Brees was short and was accurate but didn't have a strong arm which is just what some are saying about Rush.
Not at all.

They said Brees had medium arm strength and was short, but accurate and knew how to play.

From the beginning, it was known that Brees could play.

From the beginning, it has been known that Rush knows how to play, but simply does not have the arm strength to be an NFL starter.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you've been but Prescott already rejected a contract that would pay him 34 mil a year. Maybe in your fantasy world players still do cheap early years but that went out several years ago when players caught on that when they had back loaded contracts they never saw the biggest parts of the contract. Now players want front loaded with guaranteed money to make sure they get all the money.

Please stop trying to be a GM.
It doesn’t matter if it 35 mil or 45 mil
The structure determines the amount of cap space used in any given year
The more signing bonus the less each years cap hit is because you can spread that over the life of the contract
Structure is what’s important
Take Zeke contract
His avg salary per year is 15 mil
But his cap hit last year was 6.3 mil
This year it’s 10.9 mil
And you can walk away from his deal in 2023 for a 6.7 dead money hit
Avg salaries mean very little
Structure is what’s important in a contract
The money the player actually gets and the cap hit is vastly different
Dak could get 100 million guaranteed and still have a low cap number in the early years

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
Not at all.

They said Brees had medium arm strength and was short, but accurate and knew how to play.

From the beginning, it has been known that Rush knows how to play, but simply does not have the arm strength to be an NFL starter.
Rush reminds me of Garrett and I don’t mean that in a bad way
Both are smart players who are not physically gifted
Garrett was a decent back up QB because he was smart
But he wasn’t a franchise QB because smart can only take you so far

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

1. Did either Prescott, his agent, or anyone with the Cowboys say Prescott rejected a contract that would pay him $34 million per year?
2. Even if Prescott did reject that, how do we know the annual salary figure was the problem rather than the length of the contract or the guaranteed amount?

It was widely publicized that Prescott turned down that offer back in Sept. Whatever the contract was you can be sure it wasn't a back loaded contract.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Not at all.

I guess we are remember two different things. Here's another thing. The second half of last season football people were questioning his arm strength saying he didn't have a big arm to start out with and now he looking like he's lost some arm strength. The implication when said that he didn't have a big arm was that in fact he had a weaker arm.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I guess we are remember two different things. Here's another thing. The second half of last season football people were questioning his arm strength saying he didn't have a big arm to start out with and now he looking like he's lost some arm strength. The implication when said that he didn't have a big arm was that in fact he had a weaker arm.

Brees never had the strongest arm, nor did he have the weakest arm. He was able to get the ball downfield in the brutal elements of Purdue, Indiana in college. Nowadays his arm is weaker, but still might be stronger than Cooper Rush's. Brees was near the bottom in yards per completion this season. The best I can find is that Brees has been clocked at 52 mph on a radar gun at some point in the past. Cooper was at 46 mph. That is very low. Working on mechanics can boost those numbers, but when you are starting that low you aren't ever going to have a strong arm. He will have to rely on anticipation and quick recognition to overcome his lack of functional arm strength.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-likely-tender-te-blake-jarwin-qb-cooper-rush

I was stunned to learn that Cowboys gave backup QB Cooper Rush a tender. So this is how much McCarthy-Kellen-Mussehemier group think that highly of da Coop ?

it doesn't mean anything in terms of dollars nor compensation picks with Rush, but I thought it was a typo error when I first read that news ticker.

was this more about liking a familiar face in a familiar system with some of the current coaches I wonder.

the jarwin move I could more understand as if some team swoops him up, it's practically leaves us with zero creditable TE help, going into this offseason FA/NFL draft.

Cooper Rush has been the #2 QB for 3 seasons and the only backup on the 53 for the past 2 seasons.

How could it possibly be a surprise that they tendered him...

Flamma

Reaction score
I never thought Rush was bad.

His rookie year everybody loved him.

Then his 2nd year he struggled and we never saw him after that.

How is anybody to know?

QBs have sophmore jinks like everybody else.

If the coaches thought he was that bad, they would have acrambled for help.

They did not.

So to hold on to him is interesting. Moore has to like him.

As they are keeping offensive continuity it makes sense.

He is going on 3 yrs in the offense.

And as noted, his cap hit is good.

Wasn't that the year the Cowboys were absolutely awful in preseason? I think we had backups on the OL while our opponents were using starters and White and Rush had like 1/10 of a second to throw? Not many QBs would look good in that situation.