Surprised by fan reactions (re: contracts)

catiii

Reaction score
Well if you are to believe the press the QB wants $35-40MM per when Tom Friggin Brady just signed a 2 year extension at $21MM per. Also, you have Mr. Cabo holding out with 2 years left on his deal. When players/agents show such stupidity it is hard not to root for the FO.
:thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Spoiled fans.

The worst.

Zeke makes less than 433 players in the NFL.
I agree and to the poster of you are done with GREEDY SOB..lmao lets keep posting this because its not getting through

EMMITT SMITH THE PRIDE OF COWBOY COUNTRY HELD OUT "TWICE" IN 4YEARS "TWICE" yes very true he held out after the draft he felt slighted and didnt want 17th overall money, he threated to go back to college until they said no you are pro now, he eventually got the money he wanted, yes 3years into his pro career LIKE ZEKE HELD OUT "Again" after year 3 sound familiar..dont give me the 2yrs left BS he actually signed a 4yr deal and held out after 3 , gurley got his deal after 3 without a fight, the FO has created this situation and im not fauting them for it but many players after year 3 can ask and HAVE asked for new contracts.. Zeke has more then out performed HIS 4yr deal..the Cowboys used the 5th year as its their right but only because Zekes so good, they dont use the 5th yr option on every player and in fact have all the power to hamstring, keep leash on great players and from the Elite RB position they wont get big contracts after playing 5-6 years and its what teams have been doing to RBs of late use the 5th yr option a FT and than say goodbye.. they know this and the great ones say pay me now so you cant say im old and have too much mileage and wont play out the new deal.. its makes way too much sense to give Zeke a 2yr extension early and pay him for what hes don and can do 3-4 more years while the windows ope,,he chose NOT to be used u and spit out and like many Unions type strikes in the past , hes on strike and has every right to be..

so you hate ES?

you were done with him? this happens all over sports and while im usually not a fan of players holding out this is unique situation and has begun a new trend , Zeke wont be the last SB will not play out his rookie deal and will demand to be paid if the NYG dont decide to pay him early like the rams did with Gurley..

Like i said typically i dont side with a hold out but i see this the way Zeke sees it and i want him here but hes not getting any better time to do this but now..Id like to Keep Amari and Dak as well but in the grand scheme of things when Amari and Dak wont take top 5 money but what because they arent holding out you see that as positive? its not the same they know they have time and will have this contract and maybe another.. Zeke does not...

BTW Zeke arguable is the best player on the team, the most productive, the most used, hes done nothing but perform...so IMO hes really the only one that earned Market setting money.. trhe fact that hes RB means nothing to me nor him, even if he gets 15 he will be the 4th highest paid on the team. they hand JS 13 a year that BELL money and hes only started like 22 games and really hasn't come into his own yet, great emotional story.. same with Tank first 3years not so great finally came into his own got 20mil Dak wants 35-40 and is outside the top 10 at his position stats wise, Amari 17-20 and played what 10 games a DC? has a foot injury that seems like it can come and go, will never truly be healed..

Id be sitting back like Zeke going I got off the bus and from snap one in Preseason was playing at an elite level and will for few more years, so I shouldnt want 15 when the market is set and players on the team

those other players will get theirs without holding out and Zekes not risking injury by coming to TC and practice and hurting his only chance to get his big payday, one big contract.. its not the same...

the selfish ones IMO are Amari and Dak they were offered way beyond their pay grade deals and turned them down..

I hope all this gets worked out because the Cowboys need all these guys to make true run..

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Over the years I’ve discovered that fans are extremely critical of everything our front office does. Either critical or cynical. The fans on this site are especially tough on the Jones family due to the long drought of success.

So when I’m reading such positive things about the front office’s stand regarding team contracts, I’m actually more than a little surprised.

To the players: when the fans start siding with the owner over your contract demands, you are in big trouble. That is rare air, maybe moreso in Dallas. When you start to lose the fans, you are in trouble. Time to talk to your agents and find a compromise. Get a fair contract signed, young guys.
Climates have changed over the recent years. Hence the reason ppl siding with the owner. I mean the same ppl that get upset about players getting paid are the same ppl that shop at walmart who the owners literally bank on taking advantage of poor ppl and keep their employees poor.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Hello Zeke. Welcome to CZ. Now get your entitled self to camp and fulfill your contract.
His contract states after 3 years he can renegotiate. That's what he is doing. I blame the front office for taking a player 4 overall and not wanting to pay him after he goes all pro

GMO415

Reaction score
When you're "out for self" like EzE, he could give two she-its about the fans.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Over the years I’ve discovered that fans are extremely critical of everything our front office does. Either critical or cynical. The fans on this site are especially tough on the Jones family due to the long drought of success.

So when I’m reading such positive things about the front office’s stand regarding team contracts, I’m actually more than a little surprised.

To the players: when the fans start siding with the owner over your contract demands, you are in big trouble. That is rare air, maybe moreso in Dallas. When you start to lose the fans, you are in trouble. Time to talk to your agents and find a compromise. Get a fair contract signed, young guys.

I can tell you personally, that pretty much the last 4 years and especially the last 3 the FO have done nearly everything I would have done. Starting with cutting Dez. Only things I hated were the huge offer to Watkins, the Taco draft pick and not taking one of those safeties with our 2nd pick this year. Oh, also wouldnt have taken Zeke at 4, but it wasnt the worst decision at the time.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Base salary is meaningless.

You need to look at average salary or total contract value.

Nah.

looking at the base for 2019.

Zeke is ranked 433rd.

Adam Vineteri is making more $$$ than Zeke in 2019.

A kicker.

Makes more than Zeke.

A 46 year old kicker.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree and to the poster of you are done with GREEDY SOB..lmao lets keep posting this because its not getting through

EMMITT SMITH THE PRIDE OF COWBOY COUNTRY HELD OUT "TWICE" IN 4YEARS "TWICE" yes very true he held out after the draft he felt slighted and didnt want 17th overall money, he threated to go back to college until they said no you are pro now, he eventually got the money he wanted, yes 3years into his pro career LIKE ZEKE HELD OUT "Again" after year 3 sound familiar..dont give me the 2yrs left BS he actually signed a 4yr deal and held out after 3 , gurley got his deal after 3 without a fight, the FO has created this situation and im not fauting them for it but many players after year 3 can ask and HAVE asked for new contracts.. Zeke has more then out performed HIS 4yr deal..the Cowboys used the 5th year as its their right but only because Zekes so good, they dont use the 5th yr option on every player and in fact have all the power to hamstring, keep leash on great players and from the Elite RB position they wont get big contracts after playing 5-6 years and its what teams have been doing to RBs of late use the 5th yr option a FT and than say goodbye.. they know this and the great ones say pay me now so you cant say im old and have too much mileage and wont play out the new deal.. its makes way too much sense to give Zeke a 2yr extension early and pay him for what hes don and can do 3-4 more years while the windows ope,,he chose NOT to be used u and spit out and like many Unions type strikes in the past , hes on strike and has every right to be..

so you hate ES?

you were done with him? this happens all over sports and while im usually not a fan of players holding out this is unique situation and has begun a new trend , Zeke wont be the last SB will not play out his rookie deal and will demand to be paid if the NYG dont decide to pay him early like the rams did with Gurley..

Like i said typically i dont side with a hold out but i see this the way Zeke sees it and i want him here but hes not getting any better time to do this but now..Id like to Keep Amari and Dak as well but in the grand scheme of things when Amari and Dak wont take top 5 money but what because they arent holding out you see that as positive? its not the same they know they have time and will have this contract and maybe another.. Zeke does not...

BTW Zeke arguable is the best player on the team, the most productive, the most used, hes done nothing but perform...so IMO hes really the only one that earned Market setting money.. trhe fact that hes RB means nothing to me nor him, even if he gets 15 he will be the 4th highest paid on the team. they hand JS 13 a year that BELL money and hes only started like 22 games and really hasn't come into his own yet, great emotional story.. same with Tank first 3years not so great finally came into his own got 20mil Dak wants 35-40 and is outside the top 10 at his position stats wise, Amari 17-20 and played what 10 games a DC? has a foot injury that seems like it can come and go, will never truly be healed..

Id be sitting back like Zeke going I got off the bus and from snap one in Preseason was playing at an elite level and will for few more years, so I shouldnt want 15 when the market is set and players on the team

those other players will get theirs without holding out and Zekes not risking injury by coming to TC and practice and hurting his only chance to get his big payday, one big contract.. its not the same...

the selfish ones IMO are Amari and Dak they were offered way beyond their pay grade deals and turned them down..

I hope all this gets worked out because the Cowboys need all these guys to make true run..

There is one problem with this entire Emmitt Smith comparison you all want to make.

When Smith held out that first time, it was an uncapped league. So Jerry was simply trying to hold down his cost because he simply didn't want to pay more out of his own pocket.

The circumstances are entirely different nowadays. For starters, the league has shifted to a more pass oriented league than it was in the early 90s. The role of the TB has diminished some and you are seeing more teams build running games with middling resources put into the TB position.

Second, we now operate in a capped league so teams look for every opportunity to stretch the cap where they can. I think if we were in an uncapped league, most people wouldn't have any problems with Jerry paying Zeke $30MM a year. Because in that sense, it's not our money, so who cares what they pay? But because we operate in a capped league and the player in question plays a position that has seen a dimished role in today's NFL, people are more aware of the ramifications of paying Zeke whatever he wants.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nah.

looking at the base for 2019.

Zeke is ranked 433rd.

Adam Vineteri is making more $$$ than Zeke in 2019.

A kicker.

Makes more than Zeke.

A 46 year old kicker.

Looking at the base is idiotic.

Tom Brady's base for 2019 ($1,750M) ranks him like 500th in the league this year. Man, he should freaking hold out!

catiii

Reaction score
When Emmitt held out, the Cowboys started 0-2.

Out of curiosity, what do you think that says about Jimmy Johnson and the team that they couldn't win without Emmitt? Oh wait... I forgot a bunch of question marks ???????????????????????????????????????????
Can you say coincidence? You're making a point on a coincidence that proves nothing.
If we're going your route, then let's give him whatever he wants and pay the other guys minimum wage - the minimum wage the proletariat get working in most jobs in America now since they aren't important. Or better yet, fire the rest of the team and carry our two primadonnas Dac and Zeke and have a 2 man squad.
SMH--------

aikemirv

Reaction score
And I don't care what anyone says, this team is nowhere close to that team. The big difference was the Cowboys were coming off a SB season and this team hasn't won anything thus far.
But, just like that team ran thru Emmitt, this team runs through Zeke. I think the 1993 team could have won without Emmitt had they changed their gameplan and let Troy air it out. I don't think Dak is capable of doing that so unless Pollard is stellar, the Cowboys will struggle without Zeke.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Spoiled fans.

The worst.

Zeke makes less than 433 players in the NFL.

Yep, he deserves a raise...and there is a right way and a wrong way to negotiate. Zeke and his agent have chosen to view themselves in a false narrative: Zeke is not even in the same ballpark as LeVeon Bell.

If Zeke had reported and been willing to sign for the market rate for RB's (see Leveon's $13 mil per year deal last year)-- he would already have a long term deal in place. Instead-- he has chosen to hold out when he HAS NO LEVERAGE and BREACH HIS CONTRACT with an owner and front office THAT HAS DONE BUT SUPPORT HIM.

Terrible, terrible negotiating tactics by Zeke and his team. Fans are spoiled. And Zeke is going about this negotiation the wrong way. These truths are not mutually exclusive.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Base salary is meaningless.

You need to look at average salary or total contract value.
If you are going to do that then you need to consider Zeke is still on his rookie contract. These players with higher average salaries played through their rookie contract, waiting their turn for a bigger payday and Zeke should be no exception. For that reason, it's not an apples to apples comparison, what you are suggesting. In another year Zeke could be with that higher-paid tier of players too but now he will sit out and delay that pay raise.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Can you say coincidence? You're making a point on a coincidence that proves nothing.
If we're going your route, then let's give him whatever he wants and pay the other guys minimum wage - the minimum wage the proletariat get working in most jobs in America now since they aren't important. Or better yet, fire the rest of the team and carry our two primadonnas Dac and Zeke and have a 2 man squad.
SMH--------

hahahaha, yea, lets do that because that's exactly what my question was.

Geez dude.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yep, he deserves a raise...and there is a right way and a wrong way to negotiate. Zeke and his agent have chosen to view themselves in a false narrative: Zeke is not even in the same ballpark as LeVeon Bell.

If Zeke had reported and been willing to sign for the market rate for RB's (see Leveon's $13 mil per year deal last year)-- he would already have a long term deal in place. Instead-- he has chosen to hold out when he HAS NO LEVERAGE and BREACH HIS CONTRACT with an owner and front office THAT HAS DONE BUT SUPPORT HIM.

Terrible, terrible negotiating tactics by Zeke and his team. Fans are spoiled. And Zeke is going about this negotiation the wrong way. These truths are not mutually exclusive.
:hammer::hammer::hammer: Exactly right!

boysfaninMI

Reaction score
I'm feeling that way more and more. I'm sick of trying to defend and justify his behaviors (real and accused). He hasn't gone one off season without some sort of controversy. Right now, he is acting like a spoiled brat. Now, if he had a clean record, I might be more sympathetic to his cause. He's a great player, he's our best offensive player, and he's taken quite a load for the team.

But he keeps getting into trouble. Jerry took on the Commissioner of the NFL because of him....at great personal cost (financially...and to his reputation). If Zeke truly wants Jerry to pay him as much as Gurley, then I suggest he come back this season, play his butt off, and have NO ISSUES at all off the field. Then, maybe Jerry will feel a little more comfortable compensating him like the best RB in the NFL.

It is what it is. He's a bonehead. But a TALENTED bonehead nonetheless.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He won't work under the old contract.
His base salary for 2019 is ranked 433rd in the NFL.
So simple.
433 current players made more than $25 million on their rookie contract? Can you post the link? I'm pretty sure that is not even close to accurate.
Zeke is listed as 21st under rookie contracts for total contract value.

The players above him were either drafted ahead of him (Goff...) or were drafted more recently.

Spotrac has an error in that Jake Matthews comes up when sorting by rookie contracts.

If all players are included (not just rookie contracts) then Zeke will be way down the list but that's true for all players on their rookie contracts.

Amari Cooper is farther down the list than Zeke and Cooper is not holding out.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There is one problem with this entire Emmitt Smith comparison you all want to make.

When Smith held out that first time, it was an uncapped league. So Jerry was simply trying to hold down his cost because he simply didn't want to pay more out of his own pocket.

The circumstances are entirely different nowadays. For starters, the league has shifted to a more pass oriented league than it was in the early 90s. The role of the TB has diminished some and you are seeing more teams build running games with middling resources put into the TB position.

Second, we now operate in a capped league so teams look for every opportunity to stretch the cap where they can. I think if we were in an uncapped league, most people wouldn't have any problems with Jerry paying Zeke $30MM a year. Because in that sense, it's not our money, so who cares what they pay? But because we operate in a capped league and the player in question plays a position that has seen a dimished role in today's NFL, people are more aware of the ramifications of paying Zeke whatever he wants.

he being called selfish and player in the same position on the same team did it TWICE..its exactly the same ES wanted to get paid held out twice to do so..

you want to save where you can you tell Dak and Amari wake the 30 and 17 or move on.. Zeke has earned 15..period..maybe JS should have taken 10, he truly hasn't done enough YET in my eatyes to get 35.5 guaranteed, 22 starts and quality games coming late but really all the Fans applauding him and saying hes the antithesis of Zeke is laughable, he got tons of cash and hasn't done anything close to zeke and he knows he got great deal and will most likely get another.. Zeke can Not and hes been chastised here far too long.. some of us loyal fans have to defends him while others rip him..
Im sorry Zeke earned his money go grab cap space buy being smarter with Dak and Aamri..