Surprised by fan reactions (re: contracts)

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
When you're "out for self" like EzE, he could give two she-its about the fans.
He cares more about the fans than jerry. At least wants to go out on the field and produce for his team. Jerry is a used car salesman that just looks at us like money and not fans. Get real.

erod

Reaction score
Over the years I’ve discovered that fans are extremely critical of everything our front office does. Either critical or cynical. The fans on this site are especially tough on the Jones family due to the long drought of success.

So when I’m reading such positive things about the front office’s stand regarding team contracts, I’m actually more than a little surprised.

To the players: when the fans start siding with the owner over your contract demands, you are in big trouble. That is rare air, maybe moreso in Dallas. When you start to lose the fans, you are in trouble. Time to talk to your agents and find a compromise. Get a fair contract signed, young guys.
It's becoming painfully more obvious by the minute just how in the wrong Zeke is on this.

erod

Reaction score
He cares more about the fans than jerry. At least wants to go out on the field and produce for his team. Jerry is a used car salesman that just looks at us like money and not fans. Get real.
This summarizes the situation perfectly.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm feeling that way more and more. I'm sick of trying to defend and justify his behaviors (real and accused). He hasn't gone one off season without some sort of controversy. Right now, he is acting like a spoiled brat. Now, if he had a clean record, I might be more sympathetic to his cause. He's a great player, he's our best offensive player, and he's taken quite a load for the team.

But he keeps getting into trouble. Jerry took on the Commissioner of the NFL because of him....at great personal cost (financially...and to his reputation). If Zeke truly wants Jerry to pay him as much as Gurley, then I suggest he come back this season, play his butt off, and have NO ISSUES at all off the field. Then, maybe Jerry will feel a little more comfortable compensating him like the best RB in the NFL.
You know you don't have to right? You could just watch, listen, and read while these people work out their business. It's way more fun watching all of you stress out about things you have no control over and frankly aren't really our business. Don't worry about bank accounts if they're not yours.

Sydla

Reaction score
This summarizes the situation perfectly.

I think his premise is wrong right from the start. I don't believe Jerry will cave, especially now that the agent and Zeke took their little pot shot at him a few days ago with the whole "disrespected" play.

Zeke will be back when he agrees to a deal that makes Jerry happy, not the other way around.

Swanny

Reaction score
Doubt it. Fans only care about the team. Not the players. Once a player's skill declines it's get rid of them. Zeke's easy to dislike. But there was the same lets get rid of him with Lawrence too. It will be the same with Dak and Cooper if they don't take team friendly deals.
Yeah you're right. As fans should only care about the team.

BigD49

Reaction score
Jerry has about 18 days to get Zeke his new contract.

Or we start losing football games.
If those 18 days pass and there's no contract and Zeke doesn't show up, there is a good chance we will lose football games we might not have if we had Zeke...there is a 100% chance Zeke will lose millions

BigD49

Reaction score
Find another team that will pay them, the fans are a necessary evil and they know they'll turn on them like a pack of rabid dogs should they stumble. They could care less about the fans, the TV contract pays their salaries.

The problem with fans is that we are new to this market pricing for players. We were used to they got paid based on how they ranked at their position and that has changed, especially with QB's. And Prescott isn't the first, he's just the first above the 30M threshold, which will become the 40M one very soon.
If one more person says players shouldn't care about fans because they get paid by the TV contract o_O who tf do you think makes the TV contracts worth so much?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are going to do that then you need to consider Zeke is still on his rookie contract. These players with higher average salaries played through their rookie contract, waiting their turn for a bigger payday and Zeke should be no exception. For that reason, it's not an apples to apples comparison, what you are suggesting. In another year Zeke could be with that higher-paid tier of players too but now he will sit out and delay that pay raise.

It does not matter if you are comparing rookie contracts to other rookie contracts or all contracts to each other, you need to look a contract average, not base salary.

Base salaries vary by year and don't include the signing bonus.

Example
  • Signing Bonus: 16M
  • Year 1 base salary: 5M
  • Year 2 base salary: 3M
  • Year 3 base salary: 7M
  • Year 4 base salary: 1M
The total contract value is 32M.

The average is 8M (32M / 4 years).

fansince68

Reaction score
I'm feeling that way more and more. I'm sick of trying to defend and justify his behaviors (real and accused). He hasn't gone one off season without some sort of controversy. Right now, he is acting like a spoiled brat. Now, if he had a clean record, I might be more sympathetic to his cause. He's a great player, he's our best offensive player, and he's taken quite a load for the team.

But he keeps getting into trouble. Jerry took on the Commissioner of the NFL because of him....at great personal cost (financially...and to his reputation). If Zeke truly wants Jerry to pay him as much as Gurley, then I suggest he come back this season, play his butt off, and have NO ISSUES at all off the field. Then, maybe Jerry will feel a little more comfortable compensating him like the best RB in the NFL.
Did Jerry take on the commissioner for Zeke or because Zeke gives the team a better chance to win football games?

khiladi

Reaction score
Do you guys understand the NFL just legalized gambling, meaning their revenue is going to shoot up and the new CBA is going to be negotiated in 2020, meaning the salary cap is obviously going to go up as well.

And most disputes are about guaranteed money more than anything else?

And Jerry Jones just bought a 250 million dollar yacht and bought one of the largest US based energy companies within the last year, meaning the guy is clearly getting paid major money...

I mean you can have disagreements with Zeke and the other guys contracts, but man this worship of the Jones family is comical.. this guy paid Jason Garrett, what like 5 million a year for sucking..

HanD

Reaction score
Base salary is meaningless.

You need to look at average salary or total contract value.

that would conveniently not suit his 433rd paid base salary argument. it's twisting facts to try to justify something.

HanD

Reaction score
Nah.

looking at the base for 2019.

Zeke is ranked 433rd.

Adam Vineteri is making more $$$ than Zeke in 2019.

A kicker.

Makes more than Zeke.

A 46 year old kicker.

right....ignore all the money he got before even lacing up cleats....that's smart.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Do you guys understand the NFL just legalized gambling, meaning their revenue is going to shoot up and the new CBA is going to be negotiated in 2020, meaning the salary cap is obviously going to go up as well.

And Jerry Jones just bought a 250 million dollar yacht and bought one of the largest US based energy companies within the last year, meaning the guy is clearly getting paid major money...

I mean you can have disagreements with Zeke and the other guys contracts, but man this worship of the Jones family is comical.. this guy paid Jason Garrett, what like 5 million a year for sucking..
I don't agree with you often but this is on point.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Not to mention the salary cap itself is a fake construct created by the owners.

HanD

Reaction score
I think his premise is wrong right from the start. I don't believe Jerry will cave, especially now that the agent and Zeke took their little pot shot at him a few days ago with the whole "disrespected" play.

Zeke will be back when he agrees to a deal that makes Jerry happy, not the other way around.

it really did sound to me like jerry was ticked off and serious in that press conf when he said he's earned the right. like he has been hurt by zeke cause he supported him and feels betrayed (rightfully so imo). going back to cabo and taking his joke so seriously might have flipped a switch in jerry.

JustChip

Reaction score
Don’t you think Dak deserves some of the fan’s fury for wanting $40 million a year? At least Zeke is one of the very best at his position so he is justified for wanting to be paid like one of the best. Dak is rated at below average to average and he is wanting to be paid like the top QB in the league. Why no mention of Dak’s greed? Yes, when a player wants twice his value, it is pure greed with no consideration for the team.
Your point is well made. The difference with the fans is Dak is in the last year of his contract and not holding out. He’s not been suspended for conduct and still had issues with such after that suspension. Oh, and he is only scheduled to make 15% of what Zeke is scheduled to make, not to mention Zeke having been paid. $16M bonus before ever stepping on an NFL field.

Bottom line for most fans, it’s not about whether Zeke deserves or is worth what he’s demanding. If Dak did what Zeke has done, the fan backlash would be just as great, actually greater, much greater.

JustChip

Reaction score
Over 50% of America live from paycheck to paycheck, do you really think anyone cares how little he is paid in comparison to multimillionaires?
And has already been paid close to $20M, most of which he was paid before stepping on an NFL field for the first time.