Surprised by fan reactions (re: contracts)

erod

Reaction score
Yeh what a great message to send the rest of the players and free agents in the future. Just because you can do something doesn't make it smart.

The NFL pays kickers more than running backs. That's because they don't value running backs and they're a dime a dozen.

Obviously, Zeke is a special back, but in most offenses, he's an unnecessary luxury not worth paying.

Jerry almost got the commissioner fired in his support for Zeke. And now this. Zeke is a never-ending pain in the butt, always in the middle of some kind of trouble. Never a quiet day. Jerry is pissed.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Do you guys understand the NFL just legalized gambling, meaning their revenue is going to shoot up and the new CBA is going to be negotiated in 2020, meaning the salary cap is obviously going to go up as well.

And most disputes are about guaranteed money more than anything else?

And Jerry Jones just bought a 250 million dollar yacht and bought one of the largest US based energy companies within the last year, meaning the guy is clearly getting paid major money...

I mean you can have disagreements with Zeke and the other guys contracts, but man this worship of the Jones family is comical.. this guy paid Jason Garrett, what like 5 million a year for sucking..
This should be stickied. :hammer::yourock:

erod

Reaction score
Don’t you think Dak deserves some of the fan’s fury for wanting $40 million a year? At least Zeke is one of the very best at his position so he is justified for wanting to be paid like one of the best. Dak is rated at below average to average and he is wanting to be paid like the top QB in the league. Why no mention of Dak’s greed? Yes, when a player wants twice his value, it is pure greed with no consideration for the team.

Dak is here. Zeke is not.

Whatever Dak is asking for is not as important right now as the fact he's here.

Zeke was offered Leveon Bell money, and the Cowboys aren't obligated to offer him anything. He gladly took all that up-front money, and now he wants new up-front money two years early.

The fan base is turning on Zeke. Jerry can just let him rot.

khiladi

Reaction score
The NFL pays kickers more than running backs. That's because they don't value running backs and they're a dime a dozen.

Obviously, Zeke is a special back, but in most offenses, he's an unnecessary luxury not worth paying.

Jerry almost got the commissioner fired in his support for Zeke. And now this. Zeke is a never-ending pain in the butt, always in the middle of some kind of trouble. Never a quiet day. Jerry is pissed.

Goodell’s job was never threatened. Kraft is his biggest backer and the reason Goodell gets paid major bucks in the first place.

Jerry wanted to reduce the NFL office budget, including plenty of the employees, not just Goodell and the fight also included Goodell’s bloated salary. Jerry wanted the decisions of Goodell’s salary to be made by ALL the owners, not just six and he succeeded as well in the contract, because Goodell gets 4 million a year now and the rest is incentives, which could value it up to 200 million total.

It was Goodell using Zeke in the negotiations. Jerry wasn’t going to budge on the overall NFL budget matter.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Dak is here. Zeke is not.

Whatever Dak is asking for is not as important right now as the fact he's here.

Zeke was offered Leveon Bell money, and the Cowboys aren't obligated to offer him anything. He gladly took all that up-front money, and now he wants new up-front money two years early.

The fan base is turning on Zeke. Jerry can just let him rot.
You don't know what zeke was offered. Leveon bell $$ doesn't mean anything. You don't know the wording in the contract. The length, the amount of guaranteed money. No1 knows.

JustChip

Reaction score
Do you even know what Zeke has been paid? He signed a 4 year, $24,956,341 contract, including a $16,350,066 signing bonus, $24,506,340 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,239,085. During the 2019 offseason, the Cowboys activated the 5th year option in his contract allowing him an addition $9,000,000. He doesn't sound very under paid to me. He is actually one of the highest paid RBs in the league, especially under a rookie contract... it's quite generous under the current CBA rules.
:hammer:

JustChip

Reaction score
But, just like that team ran thru Emmitt, this team runs through Zeke. I think the 1993 team could have won without Emmitt had they changed their gameplan and let Troy air it out. I don't think Dak is capable of doing that so unless Pollard is stellar, the Cowboys will struggle without Zeke.
Emmitt’s holdout, it the end to it, essentially hinged on 1 play. A 2nd and Goal play in the south end-zone with less than a minute left in game 2 at home against Buffalo. Aikman was picked off at the goal line trying to hit the TE for the win. They dropped to 0-2 and Jimmy went on is post-game rant and Emmitt was signed quickly after. The holdout probably lasts at least another week if that’s a TD instead of an INT.

Batman1980

Reaction score

I am as well. He also already went through all this crap before with Dez Bryant. Zeke who, indeed.

erod

Reaction score
You don't know what zeke was offered. Leveon bell $$ doesn't mean anything. You don't know the wording in the contract. The length, the amount of guaranteed money. No1 knows.
I know this. The Cowboys own his butt for 4 years. They aren't obligated to do anything right now.

Stephen said that Bell set the new market and would pay him that. The agent won't return calls.

Zeke got his huge up-front money, and now that he's reached that year that the team already paid for, he wants a new deal. The Cowboys offered to sweeten it for him two years early, and he's a no-show.

Unlike Dak and Cooper, who showed up, it's always something with Zeke. He's such an energy drain.

Lawrence went around his agent to get his deal done. Jaylon recognizes the opportunities of playing for this team long-term and being a true member of a team. Zeke only cares about Zeke.

There is no bigger fan of Zeke than me as a player. He's the best player on the team. I love running backs in general. I want him here.

But for once in a rare instance, I support Jerry fully here. He's totally in the right.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I know this. The Cowboys own his butt for 4 years. They aren't obligated to do anything right now.

Stephen said that Bell set the new market and would pay him that. The agent won't return calls.

Zeke got his huge up-front money, and now that he's reached that year that the team already paid for, he wants a new deal. The Cowboys offered to sweeten it for him two years early, and he's a no-show.

Unlike Dak and Cooper, who showed up, it's always something with Zeke. He's such an energy drain.

Lawrence went around his agent to get his deal done. Jaylon recognizes the opportunities of playing for this team long-term and being a true member of a team. Zeke only cares about Zeke.

There is no bigger fan of Zeke than me as a player. He's the best player on the team. I love running backs in general. I want him here.

But for once in a rare instance, I support Jerry fully here. He's totally in the right.
Stephen also said "We saw what Gurley got paid, and that’s probably where it starts, and we’ll go from there.”
So now he's surprised and upset that Zeke and his agent are looking at the Gurley deal as the floor? I think Zeke and his agent made a bad decision to hold out now, but when the owner and idiot son start making statements like that publicly, what did he think his agent would do?

VACowboy

Reaction score
Zeke is way under paid.
What's your point? Any good player on his first contract is "underpaid." How many of them start playing contract hardball with two years left on their rookie deals?

I think Zeke is getting horrible advice.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah.

looking at the base for 2019.

Zeke is ranked 433rd.

Adam Vineteri is making more $$$ than Zeke in 2019.

A kicker.

Makes more than Zeke.

A 46 year old kicker.

I am not disputing your basic statement that Zeke is way down the list of ALL NFL players in terms of his contract.

The issue is that base salary is a meaning less method to compare players.

You need to use contract average, NOT base salary.

Zeke is still 301 when using contract average.

The reason that using base salary is meaningless for comparison:

Base salaries vary by year and don't include the signing bonus.

Example
  • Signing Bonus: 16M
  • Year 1 base salary: 5M
  • Year 2 base salary: 3M
  • Year 3 base salary: 7M
  • Year 4 base salary: 1M
The total contract value is 32M.

The average is 8M (32M / 4 years).

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Fans are siding with themselves. They care more about the salary cap than they do about the players.

If there wasn't a cap they'd support the players because Jerry has plenty of cash and they want the players on the field.

Of course. But the cap is there. I don't care more about the salary cap. I wish every one of them will be signed. Dallas needs them all.

Course, the players who are ACTUALLY in line to get extensions this season, not next season, are there. There's only one who isn't , and day by day, HE is becoming more expendable.

Players don't care about us, why should be really care about the players? They come and go. Signing one to a huge deal which he really doesn't deserve, while possibly hemorrhaging the salary cap for next season is stupid and THAT player shows he doesn't care about the team or the fans. So, why should the fans care about him?

I am a Dallas Fan because of the Dallas Cowboys. Not because of Dak, Zeke, Coop, Smith, etc....

VACowboy

Reaction score
Do you guys understand the NFL just legalized gambling, meaning their revenue is going to shoot up and the new CBA is going to be negotiated in 2020, meaning the salary cap is obviously going to go up as well.

Yes, the salary cap is going to go up, as it does almost every year. What do you expect to change? Unless the new CBA addresses the issue more salary cap just means more money for the players at the top of the food chain.

And Jerry Jones just bought a 250 million dollar yacht and bought one of the largest US based energy companies within the last year, meaning the guy is clearly getting paid major money...

What does Jerry's net worth have to do with anything? He can't spend a dime more than any other owner on player salaries.

I mean you can have disagreements with Zeke and the other guys contracts, but man this worship of the Jones family is comical.. this guy paid Jason Garrett, what like 5 million a year for sucking..

Apples and oranges. There is no salary cap for coaches. Minimizing player contracts is about maximizing talent on the team, not money in Jerry's pocket. It costs Jerry just as much to build a bad team as it does a good one and he makes more money when the team wins.

What's comical is people excusing Zeke for "just doing business" while bashing Jerry for doing the same thing. Everyone involved benefits big-time from winning, especially winning deep into January, and the fact that most players would rather get all the contract they can than be satisfied with a mil or two less so the team can be better blows my mind.