Survey of draft grades

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sporting News at it again. I think they are like ESPN. You can't get hired unless you are a hater.
I seen ONE article that was somewhat positive from The Sporting News in the last 10 years.

Kiper has had nothing in the last 10 years also. Time for ESPN to move on from him as they did Berman.
If they like the Cowboys draft - Reputable opinion
If not - Hater

Got it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
What exactly are the graders grading? Some take need into account. Some take draft value into account. If Eli Manning gets hurt in camp, then QB Jones is an A+ for need. If Eli Manning plays well for the next two years, then Jones is a D for need. If Eli gets hurt and Jones stinks up the joint and can't play with the big dogs, then A+ for need, but an overall F. No one will ever know the 'value' of the pick because we don't know other teams' interest in him.

Hard to draft on 'value' when no one knows what the other teams' draft charts looked like. Teams should be drafting for anticipated long term need, not immediate need.
Nothing but guesses right now. There just is no data to grade on right now.
Basically, it comes down to can the draftees play or not? Can they stay healthy? And no on knows the answer until we see them play for 3 years.

Alexander

Reaction score
But draft grade is about more than the first pick. According most all draft gurus, the skins crushed it in most rounds.
If you go off of how players are valued in terms of common opinion, they certainly crushed it.

Common opinion and filling perceived need is really all about what these draft grades are all about.

Alexander

Reaction score
Basically, it comes down to can the draftees play or not? Can they stay healthy? And no on knows the answer until we see them play for 3 years.
So we have to give an INC to each draft pick within the past two years?

Okay. Everyone just cool it with the great pick prognosis for players like VanderEsch and the bust label for Charlton.

85Cowboy85

Reaction score
https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Dal
The entire value of the Cowboys picks coming into the draft when all the picks are summed together is 567.5.

The pick we traded for Oakland, by itself, is worth 680 points.

We traded half of the draft for Cooper. Of course this isn't going to be a great class because they don't have the assets. Odds that you get two starters out of this draft are slim.

If they get even one starter out of this they drafted pretty well.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
CBS - B-

Best pick: I like second-round pick Trysten Hill, a defensive tackle from Central Florida. He is a quick, penetrating lineman who will make a deep unit even deeper. He has to be more focused.

Worst pick: I didn't love the pick of running back Tony Pollard in the fourth round. They had bigger needs.

The skinny: The Cowboys traded their first-round pick for Amari Cooper, and he is better than any of the receivers in this class. So they won that. Getting Hill and third-round guard Connor McGovern were nice picks. They had a decent haul.

NFL.com - A

Amari Cooper showed what he could become when teaming with Dak Prescott last year. Yes, Dallas gave up a first-round pick to get him, but let's remember -- he's just 24 years old, not a veteran who will be in his 30s before too long. If the team can't sign him to a long-term deal, then the grade gets adjusted downward, but I don't see that happening.

Replacing David Irving just got easier with Hill bringing his quick get-off to Dallas. McGovern could play guard or center, depending on the health of veteran pivot Travis Frederick. Pollard's versatility as a runner, receiver, and kick returner made him a solid fourth-round pick. The two Jacksons from Miami are great values. Michael Jackson is a big corner who could take over for Byron Jones if he departs in free agency after the 2019 season, and Joe Jackson is an underrated power rusher. Weber gives the Cowboys another former Buckeye RB -- he will take pressure off of Zeke.

Mel Kiper - B-

Defensive tackle Trysten Hill was a reach at No. 58, but I see why Marinelli might like him. He has a great motor and some physical traits, but you wonder why he didn't produce consistently in the AAC. I had a fourth-round grade on him. I would have gone safety with Taylor Rapp, Juan Thornhill and Nasir Adderley still on the board. There was good value with my second-ranked guard Connor McGovern at No. 90, and he could be insurance for Travis Frederick at center, too. The ESPN draft projection system thought highly of him.

Dallas took two running backs on Day 3 -- Tony Pollard (No. 128) and Mike Weber (No. 218) -- and there was a quiet need for someone to spell Ezekiel Elliott. Jalen Jelks (No. 241) flashed top-50 talent but never put it all together. He has measurables that make the seventh round a steal.

To not get a safety until the sixth round made me scratch my head a little bit -- that was such a glaring need. Let me ask you: Did Dallas get any immediate starters here? Cooper doesn't count. Hill is an enigmatic player, and Pollard is more of a luxury pick. I do like taking McGovern and making sure the offensive line stays a strength of the team.

Sporting News - D

The Cowboys started late in the draft because of the Amari Cooper trade. They didn't yield great defensive returns and selected too much for depth early before diving into their true needs later. Jerry Jones and his scouting staff fell well short of their past best efforts.

So anywhere between an A and a D. Got it. :muttley:

The important thing is to only pay attention to the grades that match your own, so you can be "right" on message boards.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think when you factor in Amari, this draft can't be worse than a B, and that's coming from a guy who really didn't like any of our picks.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So we have to give an INC to each draft pick within the past two years?

Okay. Everyone just cool it with the great pick prognosis for players like VanderEsch and the bust label for Charlton.

Yeah, pretty much so. I would say incomplete. I would add that VanderEsch is trending way up while Charlton is trending way down. If Charlton gets 15 sacks this year, his grade goes from D to probably B+, maybe even A if you think the light went on and will continue to shine.

I just took some training in April. I got 10/20 on the first test. I did horrible. Instructor said some have to pick up their game. I was one of them. I made changes to improve my game. I got 20/20 on the next one. Another person got 15/15 on both. Which is better? Well, more data to go on and the picture is getting clearer. But, still incomplete and it depends. Do you value consistency or do you value max potential. Do you value improvement? Do you value minimum performance? I got 18/20 on the third test while the other person got 15/20. Now who gets the better grade.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think some of the ones that gave the Cowboys high draft grades took into consideration that the Cowboys 1st round pick was used on Amari Cooper. I personally think that's fair to do. The grade should simply be about what a team gets with it's draft picks.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Sporting News at it again. I think they are like ESPN. You can't get hired unless you are a hater.
I seen ONE article that was somewhat positive from The Sporting News in the last 10 years.

Kiper has had nothing in the last 10 years also. Time for ESPN to move on from him as they did Berman.

About 5 years overdue.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Imagine if teachers and professors graded before even looking at the work?
My English professor graded all my papers starting at C, because she did not like my opinions about discussions she started.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I really don’t like using Cooper as part of this draft grade. That was a move that made last years team better. Basically a move to save the season and compensate for the horrible decisions that left us in a dire position to make such a move. And I’m not sure we’ve added anyone in this draft who will put us over the top.

If we weren’t so concerned with saving last years bad decisions and what those results as a consequence might have meant then we might have been better served hanging on to Dez and using our 1st round pick this year for a DL since it was such a banner draft in that position especially losing Gregory and Irving.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But draft grade is about more than the first pick. According most all draft gurus, the skins crushed it in most rounds.
Could be but their 1st round picks potentially set them up for the next era.

Imagine if we had added such talent to our roster.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Imagine if teachers projected how their new students would do on current subject based on their prior classes and grades. That might be a more realistic comparison.

Or how a prospective new hire might do. Employers much like NFL franchises have to make decisions based on their prior history and interviews. We can certainly evaluate the prospects until their performances and results begin coming in.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More grades:

Larger image of the graphic
O7yf71I.png

So much for the 'outside of this board the Cowboys are getting some good grades for this draft!' cheer.

MikeT22

Reaction score

These are grades based on evaluations of performance to this point. The draft isn't an exact science but year in and year out the majority of the best players in the league are taken in the first and second rounds and so on than are taken in the 5th-7th rounds.
Therefore these rankings do actually mean something, even though there are always some exceptions. And therefore the grading based on the rankings isn't just grading based on a blank slate.