Survey of draft grades

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
CBS - B-

Best pick: I like second-round pick Trysten Hill, a defensive tackle from Central Florida. He is a quick, penetrating lineman who will make a deep unit even deeper. He has to be more focused.

Worst pick: I didn't love the pick of running back Tony Pollard in the fourth round. They had bigger needs.

The skinny: The Cowboys traded their first-round pick for Amari Cooper, and he is better than any of the receivers in this class. So they won that. Getting Hill and third-round guard Connor McGovern were nice picks. They had a decent haul.

NFL.com - A

Amari Cooper showed what he could become when teaming with Dak Prescott last year. Yes, Dallas gave up a first-round pick to get him, but let's remember -- he's just 24 years old, not a veteran who will be in his 30s before too long. If the team can't sign him to a long-term deal, then the grade gets adjusted downward, but I don't see that happening.

Replacing David Irving just got easier with Hill bringing his quick get-off to Dallas. McGovern could play guard or center, depending on the health of veteran pivot Travis Frederick. Pollard's versatility as a runner, receiver, and kick returner made him a solid fourth-round pick. The two Jacksons from Miami are great values. Michael Jackson is a big corner who could take over for Byron Jones if he departs in free agency after the 2019 season, and Joe Jackson is an underrated power rusher. Weber gives the Cowboys another former Buckeye RB -- he will take pressure off of Zeke.

Mel Kiper - B-

Defensive tackle Trysten Hill was a reach at No. 58, but I see why Marinelli might like him. He has a great motor and some physical traits, but you wonder why he didn't produce consistently in the AAC. I had a fourth-round grade on him. I would have gone safety with Taylor Rapp, Juan Thornhill and Nasir Adderley still on the board. There was good value with my second-ranked guard Connor McGovern at No. 90, and he could be insurance for Travis Frederick at center, too. The ESPN draft projection system thought highly of him.

Dallas took two running backs on Day 3 -- Tony Pollard (No. 128) and Mike Weber (No. 218) -- and there was a quiet need for someone to spell Ezekiel Elliott. Jalen Jelks (No. 241) flashed top-50 talent but never put it all together. He has measurables that make the seventh round a steal.

To not get a safety until the sixth round made me scratch my head a little bit -- that was such a glaring need. Let me ask you: Did Dallas get any immediate starters here? Cooper doesn't count. Hill is an enigmatic player, and Pollard is more of a luxury pick. I do like taking McGovern and making sure the offensive line stays a strength of the team.

Sporting News - D

The Cowboys started late in the draft because of the Amari Cooper trade. They didn't yield great defensive returns and selected too much for depth early before diving into their true needs later. Jerry Jones and his scouting staff fell well short of their past best efforts.

I see a lot of complaints about the Cowboys not drafting for need, particularly with S. Maybe they just weren't thrilled with what was available.

And maybe when they looked at needs, they looked beyond. 3T and LG/RT were *needs* for 2020 that we took care of. I think we're set at starters on the oline for the next 3 years. Big deal. Made possible because we followed our board instead of biting on the need du jour.

The more I learn about our picks, the more they grow on me. We went interior lines, then picked up DEs who dropped. Focus on the trenches. Follow your board. And I wanted some real RBs, and got some.

I'd like to improve at S, but we can still do that with free agents. And they should be better than last year just getting older, and adding Iloka.

Remember when all the whining was about the dline? I'm much happier whining over a S we didn't get, and I'm thrilled about the oline solidifying.

The oline is crazy now. I think we could have 2.
Tyron McGovern Frederick Martin Collins
Fleming SuaFilo Looney Redmond Williams - Except for Redmond, I see guys you can start.

DT - Quietly, we've gotten a lot bigger. Average is now 310, with skinny Crawford coming in for pass downs.
DE - A crazy pile of guys. And Gregory might even come back. How'd you like Lawrence, Quinn, and Gregory in rotation?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see a lot of complaints about the Cowboys not drafting for need, particularly with S. Maybe they just weren't thrilled with what was available.

And maybe when they looked at needs, they looked beyond. 3T and LG/RT were *needs* for 2020 that we took care of. I think we're set at starters on the oline for the next 3 years. Big deal. Made possible because we followed our board instead of biting on the need du jour.

The more I learn about our picks, the more they grow on me. We went interior lines, then picked up DEs who dropped. Focus on the trenches. Follow your board. And I wanted some real RBs, and got some.

I'd like to improve at S, but we can still do that with free agents. And they should be better than last year just getting older, and adding Iloka.

Remember when all the whining was about the dline? I'm much happier whining over a S we didn't get, and I'm thrilled about the oline solidifying.

The oline is crazy now. I think we could have 2.
Tyron McGovern Frederick Martin Collins
Fleming SuaFilo Looney Redmond Williams - Except for Redmond, I see guys you can start.

DT - Quietly, we've gotten a lot bigger. Average is now 310, with skinny Crawford coming in for pass downs.
DE - A crazy pile of guys. And Gregory might even come back. How'd you like Lawrence, Quinn, and Gregory in rotation?

I think we got mostly good value. Not sure its going to add up to more than wild card weekend glory, but we got some more guys. Kipers comment about Trystan not dominating the AAC is troubling........

My concern is that we do not seem to be adept at moving around the draft making deals. There don't seem to be draft targets. Every guy we want just happens to fall to our pick, or so the Jones boys want us to think. How many times can we back into a prospect like Dak before our luck runs dry?

I don't know any successful organizations that just sit there and pick the next guy on the list like we do. Heck, me and you could do that. I'm wondering if we do that more b/c we just don't have the relationships around the league to deal.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
When your first pick is at #58 and several teams have multiple picks before you even get to it, it's hardly surprising to see those teams getting higher grades from the talking heads. If they didn't, that would really be a story.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I really don’t get grading the draft now. I know why they do it clickbait but it is worthless. Grading the draft to is like grading a book report after the book is read but before the report is turned in. All these guys grading are grading based on their board not any team in the NFL. I see the Giants getting bashed obviously they had Jones as the top QB and couldn’t risk him not being there when they picked again. No one knows where the Commanders, Dolphins (still didn’t have Rosen) or Broncos had Jones any of those teams could of gotten him before the Giants and if you did your research and you think he is the best you don’t risk it with a position like QB. People bashed The Cowboys for Fred said he was a 3rd round pick could of got him in the second I bet he wouldn’t of lasted to the Cowboys 2nd round pick and he sure does play like a first in that instance the Cowboys board was right and media was wrong. 2 or 3 years from now we will get that completed book report turned in and then we can grade.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don’t get grading the draft now. I know why they do it clickbait but it is worthless. Grading the draft to is like grading a book report after the book is read but before the report is turned in. All these guys grading are grading based on their board not any team in the NFL. I see the Giants getting bashed obviously they had Jones as the top QB and couldn’t risk him not being there when they picked again. No one knows where the Commanders, Dolphins (still didn’t have Rosen) or Broncos had Jones any of those teams could of gotten him before the Giants and if you did your research and you think he is the best you don’t risk it with a position like QB. People bashed The Cowboys for Fred said he was a 3rd round pick could of got him in the second I bet he wouldn’t of lasted to the Cowboys 2nd round pick and he sure does play like a first in that instance the Cowboys board was right and media was wrong. 2 or 3 years from now we will get that completed book report turned in and then we can grade.

Would you agree that it is wasteful to draft a kid in round one whose most likely still going to be there in round 3? If you can understand that concept, you can understand the draft grades.

Carter

Reaction score
You have to Count Amari Cooper in this Draft. He is just 24...the same Age that Calvin Ridley is too who was the Top WR drafted last year.

So with Cooper i say its a B without its easily a D

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Would you agree that it is wasteful to draft a kid in round one whose most likely still going to be there in round 3? If you can understand that concept, you can understand the draft grades.
You can’t promise me a kid I draft in round one will be there in round 3. The media boards and the team boards are not the same. Just cause someone on some site says a guy is a 3rd rounder don’t mean several NFL teams don’t have a late first or second round grade on the kid.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t promise me a kid I draft in round one will be there in round 3. The media boards and the team boards are not the same. Just cause someone on some site says a guy is a 3rd rounder don’t mean several NFL teams don’t have a late first or second round grade on the kid.

Well, thats the debate isn't it. Kiper's got his list and Brugler's got his list and thats how draft grading is done. FYI: you know who was most shocked by freddie being drafted in round 1? Freddie.......... and his agent was a close second. http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cow...erick-wasnt-sure-if-he-was-a-first-round-pick

Part of being good at drafting is not just having your own board but knowing what the other teams are doing as well. We tend to leave a lot of meat on the bone come draft days b/c Dallas operates in its own bubble. Its getting better thanks in large part to breaking the draft up into multiple days so teams like Dallas don't really have to think fast.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think we got mostly good value. Not sure its going to add up to more than wild card weekend glory, but we got some more guys. Kipers comment about Trystan not dominating the AAC is troubling........

My concern is that we do not seem to be adept at moving around the draft making deals. There don't seem to be draft targets. Every guy we want just happens to fall to our pick, or so the Jones boys want us to think. How many times can we back into a prospect like Dak before our luck runs dry?

I don't know any successful organizations that just sit there and pick the next guy on the list like we do. Heck, me and you could do that. I'm wondering if we do that more b/c we just don't have the relationships around the league to deal.

When you move up, you're overpaying. Move down, you get a profit.

Are other teams trading up that much? How many trades in the entire draft?

For the most part, I'd rather be on the trade down end of the deals.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you move up, you're overpaying. Move down, you get a profit.

Are other teams trading up that much? How many trades in the entire draft?

For the most part, I'd rather be on the trade down end of the deals.

We don't even trade down.

Pretty sure KC doesn't regret trading up for Mahomes. You think they overpaid?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Well, thats the debate isn't it. Kiper's got his list and Brugler's got his list and thats how draft grading is done. FYI: you know who was most shocked by freddie being drafted in round 1? Freddie.......... and his agent was a close second. http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cow...erick-wasnt-sure-if-he-was-a-first-round-pick

Part of being good at drafting is not just having your own board but knowing what the other teams are doing as well. We tend to leave a lot of meat on the bone come draft days b/c Dallas operates in its own bubble. Its getting better thanks in large part to breaking the draft up into multiple days so teams like Dallas don't really have to think fast.

Yes a large part is guessing others boards like the Eagles last year jumping in front of the Cowboys for the TE. I think the Cowboys might of guessed right on a few board with Fred I think Baltimore even admitted they were going to grab Fred if Dallas didn’t. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and get your guy if you truly believe in him cause if you wait he may not be there.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Early grades are about value, and the Cowboys didn’t get much value with their picks and overdrafted at times. If Trystan Hill works out, no one is going to care where he was picked. Clearly, they think highly of him and he was their target, but the second round value wasn’t there.

Happens.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
CBS - B-

Best pick: I like second-round pick Trysten Hill, a defensive tackle from Central Florida. He is a quick, penetrating lineman who will make a deep unit even deeper. He has to be more focused.

Worst pick: I didn't love the pick of running back Tony Pollard in the fourth round. They had bigger needs.

The skinny: The Cowboys traded their first-round pick for Amari Cooper, and he is better than any of the receivers in this class. So they won that. Getting Hill and third-round guard Connor McGovern were nice picks. They had a decent haul.

NFL.com - A

Amari Cooper showed what he could become when teaming with Dak Prescott last year. Yes, Dallas gave up a first-round pick to get him, but let's remember -- he's just 24 years old, not a veteran who will be in his 30s before too long. If the team can't sign him to a long-term deal, then the grade gets adjusted downward, but I don't see that happening.

Replacing David Irving just got easier with Hill bringing his quick get-off to Dallas. McGovern could play guard or center, depending on the health of veteran pivot Travis Frederick. Pollard's versatility as a runner, receiver, and kick returner made him a solid fourth-round pick. The two Jacksons from Miami are great values. Michael Jackson is a big corner who could take over for Byron Jones if he departs in free agency after the 2019 season, and Joe Jackson is an underrated power rusher. Weber gives the Cowboys another former Buckeye RB -- he will take pressure off of Zeke.

Mel Kiper - B-

Defensive tackle Trysten Hill was a reach at No. 58, but I see why Marinelli might like him. He has a great motor and some physical traits, but you wonder why he didn't produce consistently in the AAC. I had a fourth-round grade on him. I would have gone safety with Taylor Rapp, Juan Thornhill and Nasir Adderley still on the board. There was good value with my second-ranked guard Connor McGovern at No. 90, and he could be insurance for Travis Frederick at center, too. The ESPN draft projection system thought highly of him.

Dallas took two running backs on Day 3 -- Tony Pollard (No. 128) and Mike Weber (No. 218) -- and there was a quiet need for someone to spell Ezekiel Elliott. Jalen Jelks (No. 241) flashed top-50 talent but never put it all together. He has measurables that make the seventh round a steal.

To not get a safety until the sixth round made me scratch my head a little bit -- that was such a glaring need. Let me ask you: Did Dallas get any immediate starters here? Cooper doesn't count. Hill is an enigmatic player, and Pollard is more of a luxury pick. I do like taking McGovern and making sure the offensive line stays a strength of the team.

Sporting News - D

The Cowboys started late in the draft because of the Amari Cooper trade. They didn't yield great defensive returns and selected too much for depth early before diving into their true needs later. Jerry Jones and his scouting staff fell well short of their past best efforts.
Was watching the ESPN draft grade show last night. Kiper gave the Bears a B+ and mentioned K. Mack in there draft. No mention of Cooper with the Cowboys. We all know grades are silly, but I like to watch to see how consistent they are with their evaluations. Not very much. Obvious the teams they like, they made a point to talk them up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes a large part is guessing others boards like the Eagles last year jumping in front of the Cowboys for the TE. I think the Cowboys might of guessed right on a few board with Fred I think Baltimore even admitted they were going to grab Fred if Dallas didn’t. Sometimes you just got to bite the bullet and get your guy if you truly believe in him cause if you wait he may not be there.

My issue with the Fredbeard draft pick at the time was that it was rare to draft a center in round 1 and the next center didn't go until round 4. Its just not a difference making position you traditionally spend a 1st round pick on.

Anyway, It seemed obvious at the time that Freddie would have been there for the Escobar pick. Can't find any info on Baltimore showing interest.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
My issue with the Fredbeard draft pick at the time was that it was rare to draft a center in round 1 and the next center didn't go until round 4. Its just not a difference making position you traditionally spend a 1st round pick on.

Anyway, It seemed obvious at the time that Freddie would have been there for the Escobar pick. Can't find any info on Baltimore showing interest.
I can’t find anything on Ravens either but I swear there was talk that they would of taken him or something. I hated the Escobar pick a lot more than I hated the Fred pick when it happened.

uvaballa

Reaction score
But draft grade is about more than the first pick. According most all draft gurus, the skins crushed it in most rounds.

Didn’t Snyder say he was leading most of the skins draft this year? If he really did that well JJ will lose his mind lol.