Reaction score
More grades:

Larger image of the graphic
O7yf71I.png

Good one shortie. Now we know.... the rest of the story

tyke1doe

Reaction score

NFL.com - A

Amari Cooper showed what he could become when teaming with Dak Prescott last year. Yes, Dallas gave up a first-round pick to get him, but let's remember -- he's just 24 years old, not a veteran who will be in his 30s before too long. If the team can't sign him to a long-term deal, then the grade gets adjusted downward, but I don't see that happening.

Replacing David Irving just got easier with Hill bringing his quick get-off to Dallas. McGovern could play guard or center, depending on the health of veteran pivot Travis Frederick. Pollard's versatility as a runner, receiver, and kick returner made him a solid fourth-round pick. The two Jacksons from Miami are great values. Michael Jackson is a big corner who could take over for Byron Jones if he departs in free agency after the 2019 season, and Joe Jackson is an underrated power rusher. Weber gives the Cowboys another former Buckeye RB -- he will take pressure off of Zeke.

Mel Kiper - B-

Defensive tackle Trysten Hill was a reach at No. 58, but I see why Marinelli might like him. He has a great motor and some physical traits, but you wonder why he didn't produce consistently in the AAC. I had a fourth-round grade on him. I would have gone safety with Taylor Rapp, Juan Thornhill and Nasir Adderley still on the board. There was good value with my second-ranked guard Connor McGovern at No. 90, and he could be insurance for Travis Frederick at center, too. The ESPN draft projection system thought highly of him.

Dallas took two running backs on Day 3 -- Tony Pollard (No. 128) and Mike Weber (No. 218) -- and there was a quiet need for someone to spell Ezekiel Elliott. Jalen Jelks (No. 241) flashed top-50 talent but never put it all together. He has measurables that make the seventh round a steal.

To not get a safety until the sixth round made me scratch my head a little bit -- that was such a glaring need. Let me ask you: Did Dallas get any immediate starters here? Cooper doesn't count. Hill is an enigmatic player, and Pollard is more of a luxury pick. I do like taking McGovern and making sure the offensive line stays a strength of the team.

Sporting News - D

The Cowboys started late in the draft because of the Amari Cooper trade. They didn't yield great defensive returns and selected too much for depth early before diving into their true needs later. Jerry Jones and his scouting staff fell well short of their past best efforts.

You have to wonder if these writers truly know what the Cowboys needs are.
NFL.com has it right with respect to the selection of Pollard and Weber. The former gives us more versatility on offense (which we're going to need even if Dak continues to improve but ESPECIALLY if he doesn't) and the latter was a late round pick who can give Zeke "Take Me Out After a Long Run" Elliott a spell.
Second, Mel asks did Dallas get any immediate starters? Whut? We were picking late, which means we have a pretty solid team. All the immediate starters were taken in the first round and at the top tier of the first round. No one we would have picked at our regular spot would have started for us. Not a wide receiver, not a running back, not a quarterback, not a cornerback, not a safety, not a linebacker and possibly not even a defensive lineman or offensive lineman.
So this draft was basically for players who can work into the rotation and for future depth.
But here's what I'm betting.
Hill will get significant playing time by the end of the year.
McGovern will fit into the offensive line rotation, and I'm predicting by the end of the year he's starting for someone because of injuries and doing a yeoman's job too.
Pollard will get his touches on special teams and as a third down back almost immediately but definitely he'll be worked into the running back rotation and maybe even as a slot receiver by the fourth game.
Watch Michael Jackson to get moved to safety.
Those four will get considerable playing time, IMO - as good as you can expect with the talent on this team.