Swimming World Championships

Phoenix

Reaction score
Really enjoying watching the worlds from Budapest. Coverage on NBC Sports (Olympic Channel I think) so naturally you won't see any coverage of this on :espn:

Katie Ledecky is something else. Even though today she finished off the top step (Gold) for the first time ever at the Worlds...she tied for 2nd place in a race today. The USA squad is still doing quite well I think. The final event from today was a mixed relay - two women & two men squads. The USA morning squad in the prelims broke the world record. Then for the finals, the last race for today, the squad that the US rolled out was just astounding. All wold champions, gold medal winners, and several current world record holders in the swim type they were doing. They proceeded to shatter the world record again.

Anyways, kind of surprised at the almost complete lack of coverage of this world class sports event. I have been watching live on the internet from the nbcsports.com link on their page each day at 11:30 AM EST.

Rowdy Gaines is a fantastic commentator during the races by the way.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Congratulations to Chase Kalisz, new 200m IM gold medal USA champion.

The first new one in this event in 12 years, the only other two champions in all that time being only, oh,

Michael Phelps
Ryan Lochte.

USA dominance in this event continues!

Phoenix

Reaction score
First race of the day, Simone Manuel just gave the USA another gold medal. She is World Champion of the women's 100 meter freestyle - the first US woman champion in that event since 1998!! (Jenny Thompson)

Oh, and she set a new American Record in the event.

She was right next to the Swedish World Record holder and beat her by a hand tap!

Go USA!

Phoenix

Reaction score
Wow! USA woman swimmer Regan Smith just set the World Junior World Record (18 or younger) in a semi-final of the women's 200 backstsroke! She is only 15! She finished 2nd in the heat to World Record holder Hussa (the Iron Lady). Her raw emotion at seeing her time was phenomenal, very moving. She beat her previous best time by over a second.

Phoenix

Reaction score
And Caleb Dressel of the USA is channeling his inner Michael Phelps! First US men's Gold Medal in the 50 freestyle since 2007, and he set an American Record in doing it. 3rd fastest 50 Free time in history! This guy might win 7 Golds before tomorrow is finished (last day is tomorrow), swimming a total of 16 times....he is all over the place! He just did the 50 free and has 2 more swims today... Interesting that all three medalists from the last Worlds failed to make the final this year...

Phoenix

Reaction score
And 35 minutes later, Caleb Dressel in a super fast field wins gold again!! 100M Butterfly... 3rd man in history to break 50 seconds, and just swam the 2nd fastest time in history!!

Phoenix

Reaction score
Oh heck with it. The swimming is tape delayed on NBC, the results are already in, and WOW Caleb becomes the first person to win three golds in one day, Worlds OR Olympics... (Leah Smith got 3rd to Katie Ledecky, beating her own personal best by over three seconds)

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...medals-one-night-swimming-world-championships

Triple crown: Caeleb Dressel first in history to win three golds on one night at world championships
2:17 PM ET
  • ESPN.com news services

BUDAPEST, Hungary -- Caeleb Dressel has become the first swimmer to win three gold medals on a single night at the world championships.

America's newest star turned in a stunning performance, racing three times over the course of about two hours -- and winning every time.

Dressel, Kalisz earn titles for US at swim worlds
Caeleb Dressel's 100-meter freestyle win and Chase Kalisz's 200-meter individual medley title made for a banner day for the U.S. at the swimming world championships in Budapest, Hungary.

Earlier Saturday, Katie Ledecky cruised to a victory in the 800-meter freestyle for her fifth gold medal at the world championships.

Dressel started with a victory in the 50-meter freestyle, came back about a half-hour later to nearly break Michael Phelps' world record in the 100 butterfly and closed the night by leading off a world-record performance in the mixed 4x100 free relay.

That gave Dressel six gold medals in the championships, putting him in position to tie Phelps' record of seven golds at the 2007 worlds in Melbourne, Australia.

Dressel will close the meet Sunday night on the 4x100 medley relay team.

Ledecky wasn't seriously challenged but finished far off her world record with a time of 8 minutes, 12.68 seconds. She won gold at last year's Olympics in 8:04.79.

Phoenix

Reaction score
The USA has now won 5 of the 6 relay races so far, with 2 more to go tomorrow...

And oh by the way, the new American Swimming Super Hero Caleb Dressel is just 20 years old. He is already almost as fast as Phelps ever was...

Phoenix

Reaction score
As one of the only true sports fans here, not just the Cowboys, I can say that all of you fair weather Olympic fans will be BLOWN AWAY in three years by this USA team. Wow. They are so far above the rest of the world. And so deep.

I am so happy that I was able to see this team dominate. I guess I was the only one. But then again, I'm a true sports fan.

And, I am for TEAM USA.

Not so much the rest of you I guess. Oh wells..

diefree666

Reaction score
As one of the only true sports fans here, not just the Cowboys, I can say that all of you fair weather Olympic fans will be BLOWN AWAY in three years by this USA team. Wow. They are so far above the rest of the world. And so deep.

I am so happy that I was able to see this team dominate. I guess I was the only one. But then again, I'm a true sports fan.

And, I am for TEAM USA.

Not so much the rest of you I guess. Oh wells..

the point is a LOT can happen in 3 years and not all of it good.

Phoenix

Reaction score
And my point is that, despite being years past the "high tech suit" era, in which the athletes gained unfair advantage and set a slew of new world records, guess what just happened at THESE worlds in which said suits are banned?

ELEVEN world records.

SIX of those by AMERICANS.

A SLEW of Championship records and American records set, lost count.

These guys and gals are the finest athletes on the planet, with the possible exception of the top class tennis players.

<drops mic>