Tag him and trade him

iamliko22

Reaction score
I don't think Dak really wants to be in Dallas anymore. I think he just wants the biggest check and he knows the biggest check will be somewhere else.... After getting another tagged one more year.

khiladi

Reaction score
No, keep Dalton and develop the other young guy, save the coin...that's all I got.

An off-season with a full off-season with a health OL is better than Dak. It’s no surprise Dallas wins started coming after the bye week and the offense was adjusted to get the ball out quickly. Dalton was among the top four QBs in quickest release time after the bye.

McCarthy is also WC, so it’s more input from him into the offense.

And so this like you said, via drafting a QB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Your idea is way worse than his on so many levels. Tag and keep him this year while you keep trying to sign him ? Lol.... he knows we won’t be able to afford to tag him for a third year so our only option is to back up the armored car and give him whatever he wants. And he also gets to be a free agent because we can’t tag him again. So he can name his price with us while he wheels and deals with any other team. And the Cowboys get extorted or lose him and get nothing for him. If they can’t reach a deal, tagging and trading him is the only non-stupid thing to do.
tl;dr

Your idea is to tank this year. Doesn't get any worse.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
tl;dr

Your idea is to tank this year. Doesn't get any worse.

nobody said anything about tanking. That’s the best you got ? Tell us some more about YOUR genius idea to tag him and have no leverage and get nothing for him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Ever see a NFL contract structured like that? There's a reason.

One is with an expiring contract there is leverage there on the part of the player if he continues to play well. Dak is likely to put more cash in his bank account over a 4 year period if he signs a three year deal now and then another three year deal in Year 4 than signing a longer 6-7-8 year deal.
I hear ya, but as I've said, a lot can happen in three years.

Who would have thought Wentz and Goff would be given away three years ago?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
nobody said anything about tanking. That’s the best you got ? Tell us some more about YOUR genius idea to tag him and have no leverage and get nothing for him.
Getting rid of Dak is tanking lol

kevm3

Reaction score
The FO botched this heavily. They took a bet and extended the RB before his deal was up, took care of the WR and took care of the LB but put the QB on a 'prove it' deal. Now, Dak is probably out of here. There is no real 'tag and trade' situation. Why would any team give up great assets for Dak when they can just wait next year for him to walk and not have to give up any picks or players?

Sydla

Reaction score

The massive flaw in his logic is this notion that somehow tagging him for $53 million is even an option. Or that magically after two failed offseasons of negotiations that suddenly they'll be able to compromise in the third offseason.............. next offseason Dak would dare them to tag him at $53 million. He'll have all the leverage in 2022.

If they don't get him signed this offseason, it is unlikely they ever will. And given that, it would make sense to explore your options other than just letting him walk next year for a 3rd round comp pick.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I understand. I didn’t say what I was thinking. I meant to say the average of the top QB’s. That was plural. And I knew it was the top 5. Just didn’t say it that way. Thanks

You're still not getting that the 140% refers to Prescott's 2021 salary not the average of the top 5 QB's.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They will slap the tag on him if no deal is reached before the tag deadline to own his rights.

But it's up to Dak to sign it to actually trade him.

They can't trade him unless/until he signs the tag?
Reference?

This is how I expect it to be, that you can't trade a guy *not* under contract, but I could never find explicit confirmation of it.

John813

Reaction score
They can't trade him unless/until he signs the tag?
Reference?

This is how I expect it to be, that you can't trade a guy *not* under contract, but I could never find explicit confirmation of it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...each-position-plus-more-to-know-on-both-tags/
Yes. Franchise and transition players can be traded. However, players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until signed. A franchise or transition player essentially has a de facto no-trade clause or veto power on being dealt.

mrcowboys40

Reaction score
if Dak is franchise and he signs it, i would trade him then give the jets a second round pick for Sam Darnold

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're still not getting that the 140% refers to Prescott's 2021 salary not the average of the top 5 QB's.
It’s actually 144% on the 3rd tag. I wasn’t sure since I dont believe anyone has ever been tagged for 3rd year. So I looked it up.

For a player to be franchise tagged two straight years, the team must pay 120 percent of the player's previous salary. If it's three straight years, the team must pay the player 144 percent of his previous salary.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-2020-values-rules/1nn0kl8x7hg5210kevqk2oim4w

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
First of all, as I have been saying for a while now, we have no idea what Dak really wants. If we were part of the negotiations we would have a sense if Dak is serious about signing a long term deal, of if he is just dragging us along to get the franchise tag and then hit free agency in 2022. I am sure Jerry and Stephen have a better sense of this. My personal feeling, based only on ignorance of the negotiations, is that Dak, or his agent, wants to hit free agency in 2022. This is something the Cowboys must avoid. If he hits free agency he is 95% gone. And if he plays on the franchise tag in 2021, then he is definitely hitting free agency in 2022.

If it seems Dak wants to make a deal, then by all means keep working until the deal is done. But of course there are parameters, like the money and the term of the contract, or as some have reported, Dak's desire to remove the option of using the franchise tag in the future. I have no problem doing a 3 year deal with Dak but not for $35 million or more. That is more money than Mahomes will get in 3 years. If Dak refuses to come down from, for the sake of argument, $40 million while insisting the deal be for 3 years, then Jerry would be an idiot to make that deal with Dak.

What if you feel Dak is not really negotiating in good faith? and he is just dragging it out until he plays on the tag? or that he wants ridiculous money now for the next 3 years then we go through this again in 2024? Do you really want this? Dak is a really good QB, but there has to be a limit to what the Cowboys will do to sign him.
If Dak wanted to make a deal he would no longer be associated with France,,, that the hell are you talking about.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It would be the best thing that’s happened to this franchise since 2016 if we got draft picks for Dak and avoided that deal.

Unless..

You like being mediocre.. If you like mediocrity then by all means sign Dak and let’s just forget about winning a championship and celebrate are consistent relevancy.

Once again you make a statement as if it is the only fact available. Move Dak or be crap.

Dallas has no leverage now. None.

They dropped the ball last season to sign this guy. It only made his value go up. The tag did not work in the favor of Dallas. At all.

Now with your scenario, Dallas will need to find a trade partner who will give draft picks for this player. Dak is coming off an injury. The team swears he is doing fine. I'm certain they know. But do the other teams believe them? Enough to give two firsts? Because the tag means putting a premium on him that, at this point, is buying damaged goods. And spreading the firsts out over two years solves nothing this year if you spend all your capital for a rookie this year. Defense be damned.

So what team has two first this season and are in a position to take the cap hit and pay him a ton of money? Because you will still need a QB and that will cost you nearly as much as Dak in draft stock. It's doubtful you can move up to get Lawrence. And even if that were possible, then what. How many years does it take for him to be productive?

Further, what residual cap hit stays with Dallas if this magical trade were to come to pass? And why wouldn't teams just wait out this train wreck made by Jerry and get Dak for no draft picks next season?

You have an offense that is coming together. Collins will be back, and the scuttle around the camp fire is Tyron is coming along nicely. How much of this offense are you willing to give up with a rookie QB? Or are you a Russell Wilson dreamer?

All the people who make these silly trade Dak threads always leave off what the other side of that trade will end up being. How did the team just waste the last year of Gallup with this trade? (I think you are advocating trading him as well.) How many years will you waste of Lamb's career?

And the common denominator of this farce is Jerry Jones. You continue stating the team will be mediocre if Dak stays because of money.

Do you really think if Jerry had a bucket of cap money to spend he can find a competent QB AND build a defense to be competitive?

Who's dreaming now?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It’s actually 144% on the 3rd tag. I wasn’t sure since I dont believe anyone has ever been tagged for 3rd year. So I looked it up.

For a player to be franchise tagged two straight years, the team must pay 120 percent of the player's previous salary. If it's three straight years, the team must pay the player 144 percent of his previous salary.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-2020-values-rules/1nn0kl8x7hg5210kevqk2oim4w

You are now saying EXACTLY what I've been saying. As you saw the 144% was not on the top five QB's but on Prescott's 2021 salary.

Flamma

Reaction score
They will slap the tag on him if no deal is reached before the tag deadline to own his rights.

But it's up to Dak to sign it to actually trade him. Last year he signed it on June 22nd. 2 months after the draft.

It would have to be a team that was willing to trade for him and a team Dak would want to go to.

So there will be some suitors but he does own leverage in where he could be traded to.

This is spot on. Dak has all of the leverage. He can sign the tag when he wants. He can pick and choose what team he is willing to be traded to. Or just choose to do nothing and play on the tag.

This is all stuff we don't know. Jerry needs to find out what Dak wants if he's tagged. Is he willing to be traded? If not, then you can't tag him.