Ren

Reaction score
TE a priority

Fasano, Bennett,.. :bang2:

We never learn do we?

Jenky

Reaction score
Hostile;4526315 said:
I prefer DeCastro. That's no secret. But I'm going to be shocked if we don't move up to grab Barron.

You really think it's a move up for only Barron? I think realistically, Dallas could get Cox if they get that pick from Miami.

morasp

Reaction score
JBell523;4526268 said:
Our 3rd rounders since 2001:

'01: Willie Blade
'02: Derek Ross
'03: Jason Witten
'04: Stephen Peterman
'05: none
'06: Jason Hatcher
'07: James Marten
'08: none
'09: Jason Williams, Robert Brewster
'10: none
'11: Demarco Murray

I'm ok with giving up a 3rd if that's what it takes to secure Barron or Cox.

I guess the flip side would be how did the picks do that we got for the thirds in 05 and 08?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we like him, need him, and think he'll be gone, we should-and probably will- trade up. That's the 'being aggressive' everyone likes to talk about.

As for the media reports, of course there's plenty of speculation. We're the Dallas Cowboys. But even in a possible trade up scenario, with better sources on the board than we've had previously, we still don't know who the target really could be. I think that's awesome.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jenky;4526325 said:
You really think it's a move up for only Barron? I think realistically, Dallas could get Cox if they get that pick from Miami.

I think part of the appeal in moving up to #11 to snag Barron is that KC's asking price will be dirt cheap. Cowboys might give up their 3rd, but they'll get some other picks back in return or swap out picks to make a little less than a 3rd. If the Cowboys really aren't in love with anyone in the 81st pick range, the price is even more negligible.

Meanwhile, the compensation needed to move up for Cox could be too significant.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
SDogo;4525734 said:
Cox is in another atmosphere as far as the Cowboys are concerned from what I'm told, if he gets past St. Louis (which Ironically may be where Dallas needs to go to get him and my gut tells me the Cowboys have explored this) then I expect things to heat up.
As much as I hate spending picks to move up for anything other than a franchise QB, I could actually see it for Cox...but not a CB that we could get later on.

CashMan

Reaction score
Jenky;4526325 said:

I really think Miami is targeting a QB, I doubt they will trade.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Stay put and take Gilmore or Kirkpatrick at 14...

Hate trade up scenarios...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;4526355 said:
Stay put and take Gilmore or Kirkpatrick at 14...

Hate trade up scenarios...

Don't know how we can justify taking a 4th CB this early, although it would be good insurance and could allow us to let Jenkins walk after the season, it doesn't help us immediately.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jenky;4526325 said:
I really do.

johnnyd

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4526345 said:
As much as I hate spending picks to move up for anything other than a franchise QB, I could actually see it for Cox...but not a CB that we could get later on.

i agree especially if the alternative is Brockers who i would only want in a trade down.

Jenky

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4526344 said:
I think part of the appeal in moving up to #11 to snag Barron is that KC's asking price will be dirt cheap. Cowboys might give up their 3rd, but they'll get some other picks back in return or swap out picks to make a little less than a 3rd. If the Cowboys really aren't in love with anyone in the 81st pick range, the price is even more negligible.

Meanwhile, the compensation needed to move up for Cox could be too significant.

I see the Bills wanting Kalil and if they don't get him, I can't trust them not to take Barron @ 10.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4526364 said:
Don't know how we can justify taking a 4th CB this early, although it would be good insurance and could allow us to let Jenkins walk after the season, it doesn't help us immediately.

Because Jenkins is gonna get big dollars in FA if he is healthy and Claiborne will have the friendly rookie contract.

Plus he is a stud.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Food for thought...and I love Barron..at 14

Recent safeties drafted in top 10: Eric Berry (5), LaRon Landry (6), Michael Huff (7), Donte Whitner (8), Sean Taylor (5)...2 are on other teams now. No real busts but take of it what you will.

Jenky

Reaction score
CashMan;4526347 said:
I really think Miami is targeting a QB, I doubt they will trade.

Even if so, Tannehill will probably drop to 14. I don't see Carolina, Buffalo, KC, Seattle and Arizona taking QBs.

Don't get me wrong. 3 of those teams could take a QB if he's there, but is not like they are dying for one either.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jenky;4526371 said:
I see the Bills wanting Kalil and if they don't get him, I can't trust them not to take Barron @ 10.

There is a Buffalo beat writer who covers the Bills who has predicted the last 4 Bills first round picks (which is hard to do, because they don't follow conventional wisdom). He said said today that he hears the Bills will take Kuechly if he's there at 10. He would be the perfect chase MLB in Wanstedt's 4-3, like Zach Thomas was in Miami or Ken Norton was in Dallas. Norm said he heard the same thing yesterday from a source.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4526364 said:

BPA, yes Jenk may walk, we could use an upgrade, or we can always trade down...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
HoustonFrog;4526380 said:
Food for thought...and I love Barron..at 14

Recent safeties drafted in top 10: Eric Berry (5), LaRon Landry (6), Michael Huff (7), Donte Whitner (8), Sean Taylor (5)...2 are on other teams now. No real busts but take of it what you will.

Exactly. More busts than game changers. Taylor is the only one I'd take that high, and I don't think Barron is nearly the freaky athlete that Taylor was.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Barron will be there at 14! Teams are trying to get Dallas to take the bait, and I'm afraid that Jerry will fall for it.

None of the teams ahead of us need a safety......all have proven, young talented, and in some cases Pro Bowlers.

Jags- they have bigger needs than a safety at 7
Dolphins- they too have bigger needs than safety, principally QB
Panthers- will go DL
Bills- they have a pro bowler in Byrd.... a late rounder that did good. They need a LT.
Chiefs- they drafted Berry recently and paired him with another rookie, they don't need another early round safety.
Seahawks- they have two young pro-bowl safeties, Thomas and Chancelor
Cardinals- Adrian Wilson, they too have bigger needs than a safety

With the 14th pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Mark Barron from the University of Alabama.

I still have hope that DeCastro is the name.

Dallas has to many holes to try to fill without trading away picks. We are not a Mark Barron or Fletcher Cox, or even a Claiborne away from a championship.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
CATCH17;4526373 said:
Because Jenkins is gonna get big dollars in FA if he is healthy and Claiborne will have the friendly rookie contract.

Plus he is a stud.

CowboyFan74;4526395 said:
BPA, yes Jenk may walk, we could use an upgrade, or we can always trade down...

Well the main deal here is he would ride the pine all year, and not help us this year.

While we do need to draft at least 1 CB, if we draft a 1st rounder at that position, we are giving up on guys that could help us this year.