Tale of the tape: Jaylon Smith "Long Arm"

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Raiders were playing the dude out of place at DE. The Cowboys have been wanting this guy as a DT since they coached him in the senior bowl... they just didn't have the good fortune of drafting him first. I'm glad the Raiders gave him up for Switzer and you will too once you see this dude in action.

Great to hear. I know little about him. Are you guessing with hope or have you actually studied this guy? Why would the Raiders play him out of position? Or is this some BS homer article you read?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Great to hear. I know little about him. Are you guessing with hope or have you actually studied this guy? Why would the Raiders play him out of position? Or is this some BS homer article you read?
I read all the scouting reports that year the Cowboys coached the senior bowl. That's how I so wanted Wentz to be a Cowboy and the Cowboys became familiar with Dak on the other team. They also became infatuated about Ward at DT. I became very intrigued with that guy every since then. I was disappointed to see the Raiders draft him and even more so when they pulled him out of his natural position resulting in his career not starting out right. Those coaches messed up with him.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
He was TERRIBLE last season lets hope he does better this season........these Jerry "Special Kids" projects rarely pan out ...right Mr. Gregory....?

:rolleyes::facepalm: Terrible? He had a slow start to the season which was due to his leg and brace, but later on he was moving laterally much better and made a number of plays. I can see him upping his game more this year as the brace is off and he is feeling much better.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Guys, Jaylon wasn't good last year. He flashed some lateral instincts, a couple times, but got dusted more often than not. He couldn't regain speed to the ball carrier after getting beat. He did flash instinct to get to the qb on blitz packages, to be fair.

He was also horrid in pass pro, tho.

He will not be a mike or wil if he doesn't progress. He is young, still has a high ceiling, and was on the field for the first time in a year and a half, but even as the season progressed, he either was stagnant in his development or outright regressed, losing his snaps to 2nd string players.

I have hope for him, but right now, it's just hope.

Our hopes for a strong LB core, imo, lie on LVE and Lee staying healthy.

When Hitch was out last hear, Smith was horrid as a starter at mike. At the end of the year, he was losing snaps to Wilson.

I have hope, but am very cautiously optimistic. I pray he emerges to that stud we saw at ND.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
:rolleyes::facepalm: Terrible? He had a slow start to the season which was due to his leg and brace, but later on he was moving laterally much better and made a number of plays. I can see him upping his game more this year as the brace is off and he is feeling much better.
Mr.V, you know you're my boi, and I will always respect you as a great poster, but he didn't improve as the season progressed, imo.

This is a common narrative here, that has been broken down, dissected, and proven false by people smarter than I will ever dream to be when it comes to football. I could also see it before my eyes.

Last edited:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

There was a stretch of games where he was one of the worst LBs in the league. The Rams specifically targeted him to much success. He only got better near the end of the year where he was only playing about 1/3 of the snaps.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
There was a stretch of games where he was one of the worst LBs in the league. The Rams specifically targeted him to much success. He only got better near the end of the year where he was only playing about 1/3 of the snaps.
He wasn't better. He was just playing less.

His flash plays happened throughout the year, and were few and far between. Most of his splash plays were on blitz packages, or when his ND instincts flashed on certain run plays

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I would love to see the one where you said something positive about anything. Yeah he made mistakes. He was 2 years removed from football.

He made too many mistakes after having a year of studying film with NFL head coaches.

I don't like stupid players, and he seems really stupid.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL. You bad, Matty. Give the kid another season, my man :)

I don't have any other choice. Sadly, if he stinks it up again, Jerry and his helping hand personality will probably keep Smith around longer than he should be.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
These Jaylon debates
He made too many mistakes after having a year of studying film with NFL head coaches.

I don't like stupid players, and he seems really stupid.

You could study to be a pilot to fly an air plane, but do you think you could actually jump in a plane and fly it after a couple of years studying?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I don't have any other choice. Sadly, if he stinks it up again, Jerry and his helping hand personality will probably keep Smith around longer than he should be.
Gotta give him more time, brother.

The same people that **** on RGregory's production, I say the same, he needs another season.

Still, the false narrative of his last (rookie) season needs to be pointed out. He didn't progress as the season worn on. Still, I have hope. But it will most likely be at the SAM unless he comes out of nowhere in TC/preseason

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You could study to be a pilot to fly an air plane, but do you think you could actually jump in a plane and fly it after a couple of years studying?

I think if I was studying to fly a plane, I'd understand all the controls and how to get it up off the ground. I'd have something to show for it.

Jaylon looked completely lost and wasn't good at diagnosing plays. You know who did come into the league and diagnose plays well? Sean Lee.

I like high football IQ linebackers over athletic ones.