Tale of the tape: Jaylon Smith "Long Arm"

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
True true, but he was still at the helm. I've been on the fence with Rod just because he hasn't had ownership worth a ****, it's hard to evaluate him. He's had crap S, one good LB, another for a season in Ro, and some decent edge, namely in Tank and a little in Hardy. A little in Irving.

He hasn't been given much. It's hard to evaluate. I promise you Jerry and Co are not listening to Rod in the draft room on day one. I'd be shocked
It's been the same story for years, though. I hated the Rob Ryan hire, but he didn't have dog crap to work with, either. I think it is more on Garrett than anyone else. It is clear that Garrett has a voice in the draft room.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It's been the same story for years, though. I hated the Rob Ryan hire, but he didn't have dog crap to work with, either. I think it is more on Garrett than anyone else. It is clear that Garrett has a voice in the draft room.
I put it on Garrett (not draft, but game execution) and Jones for not giving the keys to McClay and Vidal and getting the **** out of the kitchen

And also hiring his humpty dumpty egg head, cueball son as next in line

817Gill

Reaction score
Dude we haven't won since '95.

"Fringe opinion." LOL

You oughta grab a share and have a Negroni, you're gonna have a heart murmur when you read a large contingent of the board's take on our disgusting ownership. Posters that are diehard, ride or die fans, that can't take him anymore. Fans that even supported him up till 2-3-4 years ago, even as recent.

Rod or any of our coaches have no voice, they've all been neutered by our egomaniacal owner that values a dollar over winning.

BTW, doesn't make you less of a fan. And no one here is saying we draft poorly. And go ahead and root for and like Jerry, that's your prerogative, but I sure as hell wont.

Everything I have ever read suggests the opposite, at least when it comes to Rod. He has been very vocal over the years about not drafting interior guys. Shariff Floyd comes to mind immediately.

I think he is just an old man with an outdated scheme who is too stubborn to change.
Haha now you believe me that it’s Rod who doesn’t care for 1techs? I have no idea why you spiraled into left field as I never mentioned Jerry or supported him once in my responses to you, I believe we were discussing the 1tech position.

If you’ve payed attention in this forum and fan opinion recently (past 3/4 years), you’ll see that people are starting to see Stephen and McClays changes and in how they run the FO. Jerry is merely a figure head and just puts the rubber stamp on whatever Stephen and McClay want to do. 2014 Martin over Manziel was the turning point.

The issues are less FO these days than they’ve been in a while, it’s the coaches who have to prove their in game ability and scheming

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Haha now you believe me that it’s Rod who doesn’t care for 1techs? I have no idea why you spiraled into left field as I never mentioned Jerry or supported him once in my responses to you, I believe we were discussing the 1tech position.

If you’ve payed attention in this forum and fan opinion recently (past 3/4 years), you’ll see that people are starting to see Stephen and McClays changes and in how they run the FO. Jerry is merely a figure head and just puts the rubber stamp on whatever Stephen and McClay want to do. 2014 Martin over Manziel was the turning point.

The issues are less FO these days than they’ve been in a while, it’s the coaches who have to prove their in game ability and scheming
I fundamentally disagree with you, with all due respect. And I don't want to derail this thread further. Good day, sir.

Verdict

Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen them break down the play where he dove in the complete opposite direction the RB was going at the goal line. I forget which game, was it the Falcons? Weirdest thing I've ever seen, like he was going after a ghost.

Glass half full kind of guy, eh?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Mr.V, you know you're my boi, and I will always respect you as a great poster, but he didn't improve as the season progressed, imo.

This is a common narrative here, that has been broken down, dissected, and proven false by people smarter than I will ever dream to be when it comes to football. I could also see it before my eyes.
You are 100% wrong about JSmith

It was night and day as the year went on and he trusted his knee

Now that the game has slowed he can next level and he can play all 3 LBs with strength

The idea he can't cover is laughable

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
We should tell our opponents our game plan so they can be sure to be ready to stop whatever we want to do. Maybe this isn't enough. Maybe we should send them the playbook and video clips to go with it!
Like I keep saying. Too much talk. I remember Rob Ryan had the defense so ready to confuse and abuse offenses. Only to get confused and abused

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jaylon did average last year. Exactly what you would expect from a rookie. Made some bad reads and over persued a few plays. Towards the end of the year he started moving better. This year should be big step up for him. If he can take it then the gamble pays off. Until it’s payday, how much will he want. Can we keep him after we rehabbed him or is another team gonna get him?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
You are 100% wrong about JSmith

It was night and day as the year went on and he trusted his knee

Now that the game has slowed he can next level and he can play all 3 LBs with strength

The idea he can't cover is laughable

If he improved so much, why was he taken off the field in the last quarter of the season? His snap count decreased significantly.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If he improved so much, why was he taken off the field in the last quarter of the season? His snap count decreased significantly.
He played better with limited snaps. I think they gave him to much to soon. He wasn’t as far along as he needed to be for that much playing time.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He played better with limited snaps. I think they gave him to much to soon. He wasn’t as far along as he needed to be for that much playing time.

So when he was at his best, he wasn't able to be a full time player. Got it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So when he was at his best, he wasn't able to be a full time player. Got it.
Who knows. This whole thing is a experiment. If he don’t step up big this year I think it maybe over. We will see. They say he is moving a lot better. I am pulling for him, seems like a good kid. But being a good kid don’t make you a dominate LB. lol

Batman1980

Reaction score

Combination of too many snaps to start, the wear and tear of an NFL season and his leg just not being healthy enough to play regularly.