Talkin Cowboys vs. The Break

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It’s The Break for me, and it’s not close.

Hekma Harrison is a goof who has no business being there. Laughs like an idiot through every episode. And Stanback says ‘right?’ every other word. I can’t listen to that crap.

But The Break was better while Ambar Garcia was out. She barely contributes during the shows and when she’s asked questions she “doesn’t know” because she freely admits she hasn’t paid attention. She doesn’t deserve the job.

But I think the rest of the staffs are professionals and good at their jobs.

100% on Hekma. Dude is just a cackle box the entire show.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
A lot of us listen to the various podcasts put out from the team’s media department. It seems two primary shows are Talkin Cowboys (w/Hekma Harrison, Isaiah Stanback, Kyle Youmins, Spagnola, Broaddus, etc.) and The Break (w/Nick Eatman, Dave Helman, Derrick Eagleton, Ambar Garcia, etc.).

The question is, which one you prefer and why?
I don’t know why but for some reason I stick with The Break. I really don’t like Nick, Dave, Amber, and Derricks opinions. It amazes me that they all cover the team and are clueless about how talented the young guys are. I guess I enjoy Ambers face and Bucky Brooks team breakdown.

heir

Reaction score
Does anyone watch the Players Lounge? Did you notice how quickly the Britt Johnson experiment lasted? She's a Cali-girl that claims to be a Cowboys fan but never really fit on that podcast.
It's the Break for me and it's not even close. I really do like the Player's Lounge though and it's quickly becoming my number 2. Very good chemistry on that show.

I don't like Talkin Cowboys very much. I can't stand Hekma. Stanbeck has some takes that I completely don't get, like last week he said the Cowboys should rotate Collins and Steele at LT. One play first half and the other in the second half. Kyle sounds professional but at times he has no idea what he is talking about. Rob is cool and knows his stuff but is kinda dull.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's the Break for me and it's not even close. I really do like the Player's Lounge though and it's quickly becoming my number 2. Very good chemistry on that show.

I don't like Talkin Cowboys very much. I can't stand Hekma. Stanbeck has some takes that I completely don't get, like last week he said the Cowboys should rotate Collins and Steele at LT. One play first half and the other in the second half. Kyle sounds professional but at times he has no idea what he is talking about. Rob is cool and knows his stuff but is kinda dull.
Hekma bothers me too and maybe it's small of me but, Kyle's lazy eye is distracting. He should wear his glasses more often.

goshan

Reaction score
My only media source is the Dallas Cowboys Weekly newspaper, signed by Tex Schramm, the greatest football man ever.

quickccc

Reaction score
A lot of us listen to the various podcasts put out from the team’s media department. It seems two primary shows are Talkin Cowboys (w/Hekma Harrison, Isaiah Stanback, Kyle Youmins, Spagnola, Broaddus, etc.) and The Break (w/Nick Eatman, Dave Helman, Derrick Eagleton, Ambar Garcia, etc.).

The question is, which one you prefer and why?

Some other Cowboys podcast shows were not brought up here, but when its' available I like listening in on "Players' Lounge " show with Newy Scruggs, Barry Church and Danny McCray,
I like listening in on certain ex-Cowboys players who have a fair amount of knowledge and observation views on Cowboys games, players, team opponents, situations, predictions and
calmly express and exchange views. There's a tone, discussion structure and pace that i like in that show.

With " Hanging with the Boyz," .. it feels like more the comical, lighter side of Cowboys football, that's how they choose that forum , so I find it hard to take it serious,
and never show listen (unless Broaddus is a special guest)

i guess I'll never get use to Nate Newton's radio demeanor ..... " Hey Man,..Hey Man, ......" i promise ya.." lol .. maybe that's Nate being Nate, and some viewers cling to it,
but it's annoying to me.
But If he's asked in on Special Edition, ..Cowboys Post game show.. it feels like he's instructed to bring a different, better Nate, not arguing down his co-hosts,
and getting more and quicker to the point in a short direction of words.
And i've never gotten over his comments on Hanging w/t Boyz show... " Fans don't know football, they only know as far as we tell 'em.... ."

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
It’s The Break for me, and it’s not close.

Hekma Harrison is a goof who has no business being there. Laughs like an idiot through every episode. And Stanback says ‘right?’ every other word. I can’t listen to that crap.

But The Break was better while Ambar Garcia was out. She barely contributes during the shows and when she’s asked questions she “doesn’t know” because she freely admits she hasn’t paid attention. She doesn’t deserve the job.

But I think the rest of the staffs are professionals and good at their jobs.

100%

I didn’t realize how much Amber negatively affects my enjoyment of the show until she was out for so long. It was soo good with just Derek, Nick, and Helman. Straight football all the time. I don’t always agree with their takes, but at least they seem as interested as I am just to talk football without too much sidebar.

Meanwhile every other show on Dallas.com has so much filler that I’m turned off to the point of being unable to listen to it.

The one other show I really like is their betting show Football 401k, even if you don’t bet, the football conversation is top notch. Love that show.

J-man

Reaction score
Whichever one doesn't have Micki Spags on it.

And if I'm watching on the net, whichever one has Amber on. :grin:

heir

Reaction score
Their new show Media Mash is really bad IMO. I cannot stand Steve Dennis and don't know why he is allowed to be on the radio.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
1. Players Lounge

2. Hangin w the Boys

3. Cowboys Break

4. Talkin Cowboys

The Break needs to kick Helman off the show. Hes awful.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Overall Talking Cowboys is better of the 2. My only issue is Stanback makes it seem like each opponent is the 85 Bears or the '07 Patriots. SMH

But The Break is valuable because Eatman has a direct line to the the front office(Stephen) and will subtly drop nuggets every now and then.
Stanback has awful takes

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
I listen to both. I’m a glutton for cowboys material.
I overly look forward to long My ride home and to work.

My favorite is hangin with the boys. Nate is the funniest guy of the bunch. His perspective is great too.

I listen locked on cowboys, HWYB, The Break, blogging the boys, and talkin boys.

Only episodes I really Don’t care for is when they do the fan call in days.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The Break for me! I look forward to it everyday. I just dig those guys and they seem to just be more direct/organized with their content and information. They flow well.

Sometimes I will check out Talkin' Cowboys, but overall it doesn't really do if for me. They just don't seem to all flow/mesh well. I liked it a lot better back in the day when it had Spags and Broadus on it. One thing that sucks is Talkin' Cowboys gets loaded on YouTube way earlier than The Break. Example: Today it has been on YouTube since about 9:30am. I'm still waiting for The Break to show up and it's 12:44pm here. It seems to be random too. I've seen The Break show up early and other times it's late afternoon (for whatever reason). I know it's on the Cowboys' app but I just seem to have better quality via YouTube.