Tampa Bay Superbowl defense roster Marinelli had

Verdict

Reaction score
That defensive line was NASTY.

They made being defensive coordinator a pretty easy job. Coaching defense isn’t nearly as hard when you can put CONSTANT pressure on the QB by just rushing 4 players.

Sapp, Booger and Rice were in QB’s faces all day long.

All 3 were hall of fame level players.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I believe that defense would have gotten smoked in today's NFL. These offenses weren't even born yet.

I don't believe that but I do agree that a lot of the dynamics in play today were not present then. Cap situation is a huge problem in today's game and continuity is almost out the window anymore.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Lol wasn't this actually Monte' Kiffin's defense, which was a byproduct of good drafting by Tony Dungy and company?

Don't give Marinelli credit for those monsters.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He's poor at choosing DL groceries too.

I don't know if this is accurate Verdict. I mean, I definitely understand why it might seem that way on the outside looking in but honestly, we don't know what his instructions are. I mean, I am certain that Marinelli wanted Aaron Donald when he was coming out but we were never going to spend the money to go get him. We really haven't spent money on the DT position in years and that's not just a Marinelli thing. In fact, I don't think it's ever been a Marinelli thing. I think the team brought Marinelli in because he had a reputation for getting more out of Medium Level Talent guys and if you look at it, he has. I mean, lets be honest here, which team in the Playoffs had a worse DT rotation, talent wise and draft investment wise, then did the Cowboys?

Maliek Collins third round pick
Antwaun Woods UFA
Caraun Reid fifth round pick
Daniel Ross UFA
David Irving UFA

He hasn't been given much to work with and yet, the results in comparison have been astonishing IMO.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't know if this is accurate Verdict. I mean, I definitely understand why it might seem that way on the outside looking in but honestly, we don't know what his instructions are. I mean, I am certain that Marinelli wanted Aaron Donald when he was coming out but we were never going to spend the money to go get him. We really haven't spent money on the DT position in years and that's not just a Marinelli thing. In fact, I don't think it's ever been a Marinelli thing. I think the team brought Marinelli in because he had a reputation for getting more out of Medium Level Talent guys and if you look at it, he has. I mean, lets be honest here, which team in the Playoffs had a worse DT rotation, talent wise and draft investment wise, then did the Cowboys?

Antwaun Woods UFA
Daniel Ross UFA
David Irving UFA

He hasn't been given much to work with and yet, the results in comparison have been astonishing IMO.

That's plausible. But let's look at the other side of the coin. He loved him some golden cock. I'm not sure why.

It has been widely reported that he does not want larger DTs because he wants them to be "rushmen".

He cheered like a giddy schoolgirl over Ivey who was a complete flop.

I guess it's conceivable that he wanted different players but made due with what he had. If so I guess that would make him the ultimate company man. But from his first days here he has repeatedly indicated that it's not important to draft a DT high and that he can get by with smaller more agile "quick twitch" players at DT.

At least some of the evidence is pointing in the direction I stated, although there is no way to be 100 percent sure.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I believe that defense would have gotten smoked in today's NFL. These offenses weren't even born yet.
NOT TRUE greatest show on turf, all the san fran west coast stuff, the Air Coreal offenses and many more..these are fads and trends and lot is reused years later etc..its myth that there weren't offenses that were creative heck even the Ravens brought back and offense that was used in another era and made it work.. the new coaches simply tweak it and only few can utilize it as you have to luck into a roster that can execute it..you act as if the 70s didnt have great passing attacks or lays that were creative, it happens in every decade..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think the goal was to field a good defense...it wasn’t to be Tampa Bays defense. The personnel and scheme wasn’t even the same.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's plausible. But let's look at the other side of the coin. He loved him some golden cock. I'm not sure why.

It has been widely reported that he does not want larger DTs because he wants them to be "rushmen".

He cheered like a giddy schoolgirl over Ivey who was a complete flop.

I guess it's conceivable that he wanted different players but made due with what he had. If so I guess that would make him the ultimate company man. But from his first days here he has repeatedly indicated that it's not important to draft a DT high and that he can get by with smaller more agile "quick twitch" players at DT.

At least some of the evidence is pointing in the direction I stated, although there is no way to be 100 percent sure.

It's absolutely true that he likes smaller, quicker DTs. That I would never argue but, those guys who are quicker and smaller and can dominate the game are very expensive indeed. I think it's reasonable to say that Marinelli would like to have a guy like that but I'm sure he knows that they are not in the cards. I mean, if you were hired for a job and the company that hired you told you that your job would be to keep down costs and get results, would you go in and ask for a bunch of new expensive equipment? That's just how it goes right? I suspect Marnielli accepted the job and all that goes along with it, including working with the talent level we've seen for years.

However, having said this, we are in a position that we've never been in, since the time that Jerry has owned this team. The LBs that we have now are better then at any time Jerry has owned the team. You can not allow them to be attacked by opposing Offensive Lines the way they were against Indy an LA. We have to now consider the idea of changing our perspective, in terms of what we might pay for. We need to get bigger and stronger in the Defensive interior. It's like buying a nice vehicle. If you spend the money to do that, you spend the money to upgrade your insurance from Liability to Comprehensive. You spend the money to use the recommended synthetic oil rather then the regular 10W 40. To me, this is where our head needs to be now. The question is, will there be a change at DC and if so, will they recognize the need for upgraded talent at DT and will Jerry listen?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I don't believe that but I do agree that a lot of the dynamics in play today were not present then. Cap situation is a huge problem in today's game and continuity is almost out the window anymore.

Look, things were basic back then offensively and defensivly. It was easy for ABC to go up against 123. Now you have ABC has to go up against 681, or 123 has to go up against

Even rods defense could win in that era.
NOT TRUE greatest show on turf, all the san fran west coast stuff, the Air Coreal offenses and many more..these are fads and trends and lot is reused years later etc..its myth that there weren't offenses that were creative heck even the Ravens brought back and offense that was used in another era and made it work.. the new coaches simply tweak it and only few can utilize it as you have to luck into a roster that can execute it..you act as if the 70s didnt have great passing attacks or lays that were creative, it happens in every decade..

I dont believe it. It's a new time. Simple as that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Look, things were basic back then offensively and defensivly. It was easy for ABC to go up against 123. Now you have ABC has to go up against 681, or 123 has to go up against

Game is not that much more complicated then it was then. Is it different? Yes but a lot of that is because we have gotten away from a lot of the things that simplified the Offenses. That's actually starting to change again, IMO, but it's here nor there. The game is not that tough. The Rams didn't do anything on Offense that was not a variation of stuff we've already seen before. They pretty much ran basic stuff with a lot of motion. They ran right up the middle and it worked. It's not that complex. People like to think it's way different but it's not that different.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Why does no one ever talk about the Bears D under Marinelli?

That defense was crazy. Don't even get me started on how underrated Tillman was, probably one of the only guys in the last 15 years that could man up on Calvin Johnson.

Just sayin', it was a lot more recent and relevant. And yeah, they had some big fat fatties at DT, and good production from the 3tech. Melton was good, forget who else.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Game is not that much more complicated then it was then. Is it different? Yes but a lot of that is because we have gotten away from a lot of the things that simplified the Offenses. That's actually starting to change again, IMO, but it's here nor there. The game is not that tough. The Rams didn't do anything on Offense that was not a variation of stuff we've already seen before. They pretty much ran basic stuff with a lot of motion. They ran right up the middle and it worked. It's not that complex. People like to think it's way different but it's not that different.

If it was that simple then we would have adjusted to it!

75boyz

Reaction score
If we are going to build ourself as a defense first team in the mold of Tampa Bay than we need a roster like Tampa Bay.....I dont know how you expect Marinelli to accomplish what he did in Tampa Bay without the right players...

Tampa Bay had TWO pro bowl DT's and a hall of fame Safety...our two weak points

DE Simeon Rice 1st / 3rd pick / 1996
DE Greg Spires 3rd / 83rd pick / 1998
LDT Warren Sapp* 1st / 12th pick / 1995
DT Booger” McFarland 1st / 15th pick / 1999
MLB Shelton Quarles*
LB Derrick Brooks* 1st / 28th pick / 1995
LB Alshermond Singleton 4th / 128th pick / 1997
LCB Brian Kelly 2nd / 45th pick / 1998
RCB Ronde Barber 3rd / 66th pick / 1997
SS John Lynch* 3rd / 82nd pick / 1993
S Dexter Jackson 4th / 113th pick / 1999

Defensive tackles and a REAL safety is what we are missing
Yep, top to bottom far superior but this and the 2000 Raven defense are next best defenses to the 85 Bears.

Unless you want to go back to the 70s Steelers, Boys and Vikings

Sapp is generational to whom none can compare with his girth, quickness, strength and athleticism. One of a kind. Best 3T
I believe Marinelli also had Randle at Minnesota as another HOF 3T
Who was the guy that he brought over from Chicago and gave us a couple of decent to really good years, Henry Melton?
And our other 3T guy who left for Washington had a couple of really nice years
for us before leaving

In my honest opinion, I just don't think Crawford or Collins are as good as these 3 technique guys I've mentioned...

And yes, a big slobber knocker one technique would be icing on the cake.
So Yep, I agree...

Last edited:

Mobinvans

Reaction score

Antwaun Woods UFA
Daniel Ross UFA
David Irving UFA

Yea bunch of nobody's really...what do people expect

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Antwaun Woods UFA
Daniel Ross UFA
David Irving UFA

Yep, cant expect stellar results when you do your shopping at K-mart, why is this so hard to comprehend?

kskboys

Reaction score
Not everyone. I have liked our defense but I have also questioned if it was for real. I have been calling on Dallas to spend draft picks on the DL, like they did the OL, for a couple of years. And who doesn't think Jeff Heath is a liability. I watched some of the film of that game again and of course, Heath is either late recognizing the play or he takes a poor angle to the ball.
Everyone keeps calling it a poor angle. That is not what is happening. Heath lacks the agility to turn and go. He's like a semi when trying to turn. Takes 40 acres.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Marinelli won with those guys but now rolls with small size LBs. It's like Jerry and Garrett hired him because he also doesn't like to take notes