Tampa has released Gerald McCoy

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We currently have our starting DEs in Lawrence and Quinn, with some depth in Charlton, Armstrong, Hyder, Joe Jackson, and some question marks in Gregory (weed) and Crawford (fighting). The position is solidified and the only real problems I can see are an injury to a starter causing a liability because of unproven or suspended depth players.

DT is a little bit different. We have some guys who have the potential to be starters, but none of them are as proven as Lawrence and Quinn are at DE. McCoy would give us a proven starter. But who knows, maybe Trysten Hill will be a better DT as a rookie. Getting McCoy on a 1-year deal, similar to the Quinn deal, would give us a year to figure out what we have in some of our young DTs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
O
I think people really overrate our defense. We were pretty good in the redzone, but points and yards per drive were just a hair better than league average. Sacks and TOs, league average. Passer Rating Allowed? Not even top 20.

Defense had their moments, don't get me wrong. NO game was great. But, I think a lot of people overrate them because of just how terrible our defense has been previously.

It's actually kind of impressive they were still league average in sacks with Lawrence playing with a torn shoulder, Gregory just walking onto the team again, and I cant say for certain, but probably one of the worst interior pass rushing groups in the league. I mean, they were pretty awful.

Hill was a good choice, considering the options. But, given this roster, the timing of contracts, and the cap space, I think it'd be borderline negligent to not sign McCoy if he's looking for 10-11mill or less.

If you really want to keep Crawford for some reason, Collins is a FA next year anyway, let him go since it's fairly redundant, and release Hurns. I like Collins, but his body hates him, and I think Covington could fill his role anyway, he was pretty decent pass rushing shaded as a 3-tech in Houston on rotational snaps. That's $7million, we can live with a 3-4million hit for a substantial upgrade, and a legitimate pass rusher inside. Possibly a pretty formidable group if Hill isn't terrible. They even get to keep Crawford if they really want him.

Makes sense to me.

I think the defense was impressive considering:

DLine
DE DLaw was the only full time starter on defense at the same position in both 2017 and 2018 (played with a shoulder injury).

DT M.Collins was a returning starter at DT but only had 9 starts in 2018 due to injury issues.

DT/DE Crawford had started at RDE in 2017 and at DT in some other years but he was not a full-time starter at either DE (7 starts) or DT (8 starts) in 2018.

DT Woods was the starting 1-tech (many thought he was just a camp body type prior to training camp).

DT Irving flaked out.

DT Datone Jones Placed on IR.

DE Gregory played a majority of the pass rushing snaps at RDE after a long hiatus from football.

DE Taco started 7 games but was benched for attitude issues.

DT Caraun Reid played 70% of snaps in one game, 52% in another and was 1 of the 4 game-day DTs for 10 games despite being signed, cut and re-signed in 2018.

DT Daniel Ross Was 1 of the 4 game-day DTs for 13 games despite being cut multiple times in the Canadian Football League.

Secondary
CB Awuzie ended 2017 as the starting LCB and started there in 2018 but he only had 6 total starts in 2017.

DB Woods 1st time starting at Safety (played more Nickel CB than Safety in 2017).

DB Byron Jones first year as starting CB (as a full time starter).

DB Heath played SS after playing most of 2017 and previously at FS.

CB Brown 1st year as full time slot CB.

Linebackers
LB Vander Esch Rookie multi-game starter.

LB Jaylon 1st year as full time starter.

LB Lee Projected starter only played 7 regular season games.

LB Joe Thomas Projected top veteran backup missed 6 games due to injury.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
O

I think the defense was impressive considering:

DLine
DE DLaw was the only full time starter on defense at the same position in both 2017 and 2018 (played with a shoulder injury).

DT M.Collins was a returning starter at DT but only had 9 starts in 2018 due to injury issues.

DT/DE Crawford had started at RDE in 2017 and at DT in some other years but he was not a full-time starter at either DE (7 starts) or DT (8 starts) in 2018.

DT Woods was the starting 1-tech (many thought he was just a camp body type prior to training camp).

DT Irving flaked out.

DT Datone Jones Placed on IR.

DE Gregory played a majority of the pass rushing snaps at RDE after a long hiatus from football.

DE Taco started 7 games but was benched for attitude issues.

DT Caraun Reid played 70% of snaps in one game, 52% in another and was 1 of the 4 game-day DTs for 10 games despite being signed, cut and re-signed in 2018.

DT Daniel Ross Was 1 of the 4 game-day DTs for 13 games despite being cut multiple times in the Canadian Football League.

Secondary
CB Awuzie ended 2017 as the starting LCB and started there in 2018 but he only had 6 total starts in 2017.

DB Woods 1st time starting at Safety (played more Nickel CB than Safety in 2017).

DB Byron Jones first year as starting CB (as a full time starter).

DB Heath played SS after playing most of 2017 and previously at FS.

CB Brown 1st year as full time slot CB.

Linebackers
LB Vander Esch Rookie multi-game starter.

LB Jaylon 1st year as full time starter.

LB Lee Projected starter only played 7 regular season games.

LB Joe Thomas Projected top veteran backup missed 6 games due to injury.
With all due respect, that list looks like something Garrett would come up with.

The D last year were relatively healthy, Joe Thomas being out hardly mattered...and we did have

nice surprises that Vandy and Smith played so well and to a lesser extent Woods.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Well if the Cowboys dont talk yo him i would cone to believe he will be a Colt

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all due respect, that list looks like something Garrett would come up with.

The D last year were relatively healthy, Joe Thomas being out hardly mattered...and we did have

nice surprises that Vandy and Smith played so well and to a lesser extent Woods.

Having literally 1 player that was a full time starter at the same position in both 2017 and 2018 represents extensive changes and extensive dependence on new/young players.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Having literally 1 player that was a full time starter at the same position in both 2017 and 2018 represents extensive changes and extensive dependence on new/young players.
Cmon now the way you framing it....

Craw has been around long enough and has played both positions plenty, same with Wilson, Jones is a CB and it showed in his S play.

Did Brown all of a sudden forget to play CB...No he just move to the inside and had a nice bounce back season.

The play of Smith is why we drafted him - they knew he wouldn't do much the first couple of seasons.

And some of the young guy plays well - that's what's supposed to happen.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
In what? Money? Sure not production
giphy.gif

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Crawfords cap hit this year is 10.1 tho. I'd be happy to spend that cap hit this year on a hands down better player.
It doesn't work that way...... 3m of it is a Team Cap Hit..... it counts no matter what

So 7m for 5+ sacks and 60% snaps and 20+ TFLs and QB pressures is a bargain.... replace that for less than 7m
Plus WE DRAFTED THILL and still have MCollins

McCoy is not that good any more

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It doesn't work that way...... 3m of it is a Team Cap Hit..... it counts no matter what

So 7m for 5+ sacks and 60% snaps and 20+ TFLs and QB pressures is a bargain.... replace that for less than 7m
Plus WE DRAFTED THILL and still have MCollins

McCoy is not that good any more
I've learned not to argue with my dude Night.
He calls me chachi...