Tank and Dez contract situation similar

Verdict

Reaction score
I am seeing the same dynamic occur with Tanks contract that we saw with Dez. People kept arguing Dez was top 5, that we needed to "pay the man" and what would we do without him etc.

Tank isn't top 5 either and I see the same old tired excuses for letting Tank hold the team hostage. Tank is probably more mentally stable than Dez but otherwise it's eerily similar to Dez situation.

The team should not let the contract price get so high that there is no way that the player can justify the contract. The team can't be emotional about this. Set his true worth to our team and decide what the ceiling is and stick to it, or trade him.

How much better would this team be if we had opted to trade Dez for a first than paying him to sulk for 3 years?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Pay The Man.
we waited for a War Daddy....we got and developed a War Daddy...now we need to pay him.
no way is he holding this team hostage...his contract expired....they knew it was coming.
Ive heard no insane demands from him....its time to pay him.
Whats the option w/out #90???....Taco???....I was for him being selected but to date has done nothing.....Dorance Armstrong???....I like the player but not enuff to part with DLaw.
There are DEs I like in the draft...Austin Bryant,Clemson...Maxx Crosby,E Michigan...but they ain't comin in here as a rookie...day1....and put up what DLaw has.
Pay The Man.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I am seeing the same dynamic occur with Tanks contract that we saw with Dez. People kept arguing Dez was top 5, that we needed to "pay the man" and what would we do without him etc.

Tank isn't top 5 either and I see the same old tired excuses for letting Tank hold the team hostage. Tank is probably more mentally stable than Dez but otherwise it's eerily similar to Dez situation.

The team should not let the contract price get so high that there is no way that the player can justify the contract. The team can't be emotional about this. Set his true worth to our team and decide what the ceiling is and stick to it, or trade him.

How much better would this team be if we had opted to trade Dez for a first than paying him to sulk for 3 years?
Tank has not fell off the map with his production nor is he a distraction in the locker room.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He was until he got injured.. Tank was the opposite, got injured first, had a successful surgery and appears to be a Top 10 pass rusher now...

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Also take it with a grain of salt but PFF had Lawrence ranked 1st among DEs.

What is the OP's premise based on that he isn't top 5? Hope and reams?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I kinda hope people here get their wish. Lose a top 5 corner and top 10 DE of 2018 because reasons. I just want to see the mental gymnastics people go through when our D declines greatly because we try to spread around production between the pothead and soft taco.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
If you don’t pay Lawrence, 12 teams will line up to take your place. Because his talent is worth the money.

Cap space isn’t always the best route when you cant possibly fill it with equal commodity.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I kinda hope people here get their wish. Lose a top 5 corner and top 10 DE of 2018 because reasons. I just want to see the mental gymnastics people go through when our D declines greatly because we try to spread around production between the pothead and soft taco.
I can't wait to win the Capspace Bowl!!!

cern

Reaction score
the only similarity I see is they both are/were seeking higher wages. dez's negotiations were vitriolic. not so with tank. their respective agents are totally different. dez went public and dissed the cowboys. tank does not behave like this. one way or the other, whether it be here or elsewhere, tank will get his money. and he seems to understand this.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
You couldn't even last 24 hours before starting not one, but two, different Lawrence threads where you criticize him.

LOL.

He started laying the framework for Tank to be his new whipping boy earlier in the season. That’s why we are now seeing his multiple threads by him about Tank.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tank has not fell off the map with his production nor is he a distraction in the locker room.

8 sacks from the 5th game on of 2018. 4 sacks after the 8th game.
5 sacks from the 5th game on of 2018, including 2 playoff games. 4 sacks after the 8th game.

Faded after the first quarter of both seasons, which is particularly a problem for the playoffs, where Lawrence was blanked on sacked.

5 sacks in the last 14 games.

Others have posted similar dropoffs in other stats.

He hasn't fallen off the map, but his numbers were inflated by the first 3 games of 2017, coming off a season when he did absolutely nothing, and was likely blocked with that expectation. He got huge numbers in those games, and not so much since.

3 games, 6.5 sacks, 6 TFL, 10 QB hits. 3 sacks, 2 TFL, 6 hits in the final of those three. Once teams saw that he could play, and gave him the kind of attention you get when you can play, he's been good but not great, and trending down.

Repeat: 5 sacks in the last 14 games.

Verdict

Reaction score
5 sacks from the 5th game on of 2018, including 2 playoff games. 4 sacks after the 8th game.

Faded after the first quarter of both seasons, which is particularly a problem for the playoffs, where Lawrence was blanked on sacked.

He hasn't fallen off the map, but his numbers were inflated by the first 3 games of 2017, coming off a season when he did absolutely nothing, and was likely blocked with that expectation. He got huge numbers in those games, and not so much since.

3 games, 6.5 sacks, 6 TFL, 10 QB hits. 3 sacks, 2 TFL, 6 hits in the final of those three. Once teams saw that he could play, and gave him the kind of attention you get when you can play, he's been good but not great, and trending down.

These guys don't want to hear any facts. They just want to try to silence any criticism of him. Probably have posters of him over their beds so they can day dream about how "dreamy" he is.

Verdict

Reaction score
the only similarity I see is they both are/were seeking higher wages. dez's negotiations were vitriolic. not so with tank. their respective agents are totally different. dez went public and dissed the cowboys. tank does not behave like this. one way or the other, whether it be here or elsewhere, tank will get his money. and he seems to understand this.

Whether Tank will get his money somewhere else or not, is not really relevant to this discussion. He probably would if he hits the open market but that has zero to do with what the Cowboys should do.

Hitchens got his money when he hit the open market, but should we have paid what it took to keep him? No. No. And a thousand times no.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
These guys don't want to hear any facts. They just want to try to silence any criticism of him. Probably have posters of him over their beds so they can day dream about how "dreamy" he is.
He is pretty handsome... except for the squid on his head.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Fallen off the map? No. Thats a fan reaching and not understanding all aspects of the position