Tank and Dez contract situation similar

Little Jr

Reaction score
Tank has not fell off the map with his production nor is he a distraction in the locker room.
At the time we signed Dez, which is what the OP is talking about, Dez had not fallen off in production. In fact, he was coming off his best season .

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
they facts remain if the don't work out a long term deal before the 5 of march they will tag him and then he will sit out

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These guys don't want to hear any facts. They just want to try to silence any criticism of him. Probably have posters of him over their beds so they can day dream about how "dreamy" he is.

Nobody is more fixated on him than you.

It's ironic that you'd accuse anyone else.

conner01

Reaction score
I can't wait to win the Capspace Bowl!!!
We have a bunch of GM’s here who could thrive in the capspace bowl
I’ve seen so far let Dak, Dlaw, Jones, Zeke all walk
Then they will be wanting to add 10 free agents who cost nearly as much with much less production

ItzKelz

Reaction score
At the time we signed Dez, which is what the OP is talking about, Dez had not fallen off in production. In fact, he was coming off his best season .
If that was his point.....no player in history has fallen off the map before signing a big contract.

Little Jr

Reaction score
If that was his point.....no player in history has fallen off the map before signing a big contract.
He made his point clear as to how tank contract talks amongst fans are the same as Dez. You made the comment that tank has not fallen off the map and isn't a locker room distraction, comparing him to Dez as if that's where the 2 are different. Locker room distraction is a valid point, but fallen off the map in production wasn't since Dez just had his best year.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He made his point clear as to how tank contract talks amongst fans are the same as Dez. You made the comment that tank has not fallen off the map and isn't a locker room distraction, comparing him to Dez as if that's where the 2 are different. Locker room distraction is a valid point, but fallen off the map in production wasn't since Dez just had his best year.
My point was based on getting rid of Dez and or Tank

Little Jr

Reaction score
My point was based on getting rid of Dez and or Tank
That's 2 totally different situations. Dez has already got his pay day when we let him go. The OP is about Dez and what "we" were saying when he was up for a contract in 2015 and what "we" are saying now about tank, its lot of the same thing's.

Hadenough

Reaction score
8 sacks from the 5th game on of 2018. 4 sacks after the 8th game.
5 sacks from the 5th game on of 2018, including 2 playoff games. 4 sacks after the 8th game.

Faded after the first quarter of both seasons, which is particularly a problem for the playoffs, where Lawrence was blanked on sacked.

5 sacks in the last 14 games.

Others have posted similar dropoffs in other stats.

He hasn't fallen off the map, but his numbers were inflated by the first 3 games of 2017, coming off a season when he did absolutely nothing, and was likely blocked with that expectation. He got huge numbers in those games, and not so much since.

3 games, 6.5 sacks, 6 TFL, 10 QB hits. 3 sacks, 2 TFL, 6 hits in the final of those three. Once teams saw that he could play, and gave him the kind of attention you get when you can play, he's been good but not great, and trending down.

Repeat: 5 sacks in the last 14 games.
I think if the Cowboys would get ahead in more games he could be rotated out more until the playoffs. The Cowboys have fallen behind early and then Garretts motto of playing harder to get better instead scheming has hurt many a good player.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Lawrence needs help and is starting to get it from Gregory but if Dallas doesnt bring in a massive DT to clog the middle up and take up double teams that tells me they dont care about getting better and there is no sense in signing Lawrence. Its like putting together a puzzle and your missing pieces.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez was given a huge contract and never lived up to it b/c ____________(fill in excuse). Tank has been super productive particularly when playing 100% and is also good against the run. He is easily a top 10 DE in this league and should be paid accordingly. Dez had fallen off the production map and wasn't even a top 30 WR when he got cut...........add the sideline outbursts and locker room antics and I don't see the comparison.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
That's 2 totally different situations. Dez has already got his pay day when we let him go. The OP is about Dez and what "we" were saying when he was up for a contract in 2015 and what "we" are saying now about tank, its lot of the same thing's.
Tank got paid last season when he was franchised.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think if the Cowboys would get ahead in more games he could be rotated out more until the playoffs. The Cowboys have fallen behind early and then Garretts motto of playing harder to get better instead scheming has hurt many a good player.

I do like increased rotation.
Rested players can play harder when they are in, while backups can play at 110% and develop while they do.

Creeper

Reaction score
Someone is going to pay Tank. Don't let resentment for his demands cloud your judgement. The Cowboys pass rush was pretty mediocre this last year. Without Tank it would be horrible. You cannot build a winning team by signing lesser players because they cost less money. Sometimes you have to take a chance. Tank is worth that chance, IMO. They are close to being a contender if they fill a few holes. But like the little girls sticking fingers in the holes in the dike, if you have more holes than fingers, you lose. Letting Tank go leaves a gaping hole. If Tank goes, who do you replace him with? Pay him and go fill the other holes so maybe we can win a NFC title, at least.

My fear is Jerry is thinking hesitating and Tank is getting angry. It would be a shame if Tank opted not to give the Cowboys a chance because he felt the Cowboys were disrespecting him. Its a business. Sit down and negotiate and see where both sides are at. No games.

The Cowboys got close with the offense in 2016 but then they let Leary go and the offensive line went down hill. The same thing will happen to the defense if they let Tank walk over money.

Questfor6

Reaction score
Lawrence earned his money, pay the man. Gregory/Taco/Armstrong/ & a draft pick are not my ideal situation headed to camp if we're gone.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I am seeing the same dynamic occur with Tanks contract that we saw with Dez. People kept arguing Dez was top 5, that we needed to "pay the man" and what would we do without him etc.

Tank isn't top 5 either and I see the same old tired excuses for letting Tank hold the team hostage. Tank is probably more mentally stable than Dez but otherwise it's eerily similar to Dez situation.

The team should not let the contract price get so high that there is no way that the player can justify the contract. The team can't be emotional about this. Set his true worth to our team and decide what the ceiling is and stick to it, or trade him.

How much better would this team be if we had opted to trade Dez for a first than paying him to sulk for 3 years?
Yes.

It's also like with DeMarco Murray.

When his price was up there at $7 mil+..

they let him go.

I likened Tank to DeMarcus Ware.

Another guy who played for us for a few years and then his back and shoulder had him missing games like 5-6 each year until we said No Mas.

And Ware was making like $8 mil at the time.

So I think anybody who thinks Tank is more valuable than those two guys at over twice the price at $17mil-$20mil..

is playing too much Fantasy Football.

I like him when he is playing right..

but for what he is asking..

I would think twice before I bent over backwards.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Lawrence earned his money, pay the man. Gregory/Taco/Armstrong/ & a draft pick are not my ideal situation headed to camp if we're gone.
You are forgetting Crawford.

Our $8mil swing tackle.

He is grossly over paid, too.

Tank reminds me of DeMarcus Ware.

Ware was injured a lot and they eventually let him go as he was making $8 mil/ yr.

Tank has been suspended a lot.

I would be concerned about both things going forward.

Verdict

Reaction score