Twitter: Tank And Quinn

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I just don't think stats are good indicators for this team given how poor their competition has been.

That's not fair. There's just a lot of bad teams in this league. The whole parity thing seems to be out the window this year.

I was looking at the projections for the NFL Draft order in 2020 - So. Many. Bad. Teams. Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers, Broncos, Commanders, Giants, Falcons, Bucs... Even the Lions, who everyone here seems to think could beat the Cowboys, are 2-3-1.

So, week to week, yeah you are going to play a lot of bad teams. It's part of the deal. You're not really going to know how good this team is until they get to the playoffs. But as Bill Parcells used to say, you are what your record says, and I'd make the same argument for stats. The other "elite" teams are playing lots of bad teams too.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They've played the same quality of schedule as most of the league.
With current strength of schedule rankings the Dallas cowboys have the 2nd easiest schedule in the whole league,,, The Patsy's have the easiest! They might actually do the undefeated thing this year

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
With current strength of schedule rankings the Dallas cowboys have the 2nd easiest schedule in the whole league,,, The Patsy's have the easiest! They might actually do the undefeated thing this year
Sure. But everyone's schedule is easy.

Good teams should beat Miami the same as they should beat the Giants or whoever. Degrees of easy is pretty irrelevant.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Respek

EHhUHKVX4AAU10T.jpg:large

Ughhhhhh, I see a bunch of little people. No offense to little people!

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sure. But everyone's schedule is easy.

Good teams should beat Miami the same as they should beat the Giants or whoever. Degrees of easy is pretty irrelevant.

I don't think your binary view of all this applies to something as exacting as statistics... degrees of difficulty matter

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think your binary view of all this applies to something as exacting as statistics... degrees of difficulty matter
Not in this case.

If you are an 11-5 team, or fathom yourself to be, there is no difference in playing a 0-16 or 5-11 team. If Team A has opponent record of 0-100 and Team B has an opponent record of 20-80...there's a big difference in win percentage but not really a difference in quality, because both teams are still going to win every game. That's how the NFL is right now. The difference between the Dolphins and, idk, Buccaneers, is entirely negligible. That group makes up more than half of the league, so yes, everyone's schedule is easy.

Not even looking at record, how many teams in the AFC are actually good? By my count, it's 3.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not in this case.

If you are an 11-5 team, or fathom yourself to be, there is no difference in playing a 0-16 or 5-11 team. If Team A has opponent record of 0-100 and Team B has an opponent record of 20-80...there's a big difference in win percentage but not really a difference in quality, because both teams are still going to win every game. That's how the NFL is right now. The difference between the Dolphins and, idk, Buccaneers, is entirely negligible. That group makes up more than half of

If you are an 11-5 team, or fathom yourself to be, there is no difference in playing a 0-16 or 5-11 team. If Team A has opponent record of 0-100 and Team B has an opponent record of 20-80...there's a big difference in win percentage but not really a difference in quality, because both teams are still going to win every game. That's how the NFL is right now. The difference between the Dolphins and, idk, Buccaneers, is entirely negligible. That group makes up more than half of the league, so yes, everyone's schedule is easy.

Not even looking at record, how many teams in the AFC are actually good? By my count, it's 3.

Yeah, I think we're just talking past each other, so,,,

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I think we're just talking past each other, so,,,
Yea, you want nuance but there isn't any needed. Crappy teams are crappy. For good teams, SOS doesn't matter when their opponents all crappy. The Cowboys have played against 2 actual good teams, that isn't true for the majority of the league.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yea, you want nuance but there isn't any needed. Crappy teams are crappy. For good teams, SOS doesn't matter when their opponents all crappy. The Cowboys have played against 2 actual good teams, that isn't true for the majority of the league.

Nonsense

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Go ahead and prove me wrong then.

You said the Cowboys stats don't matter because they've played an easy schedule. They've played the Saints and Packers, and Lane Johnson is one of the best RTs in the NFL, even if the Eagles aren't good. Go look at other teams with at least 4 wins and tell me how their records aren't inflated by playing bad teams. Looking real quick:

Patriots - 1
Bills - 0
Chiefs - 1
Texans - 1
Colts - 2
Ravens - 1

Cowboys - 0
49ers - 1
Seahawks - 1
Rams - 2
Packers - 2
Vikings - 0
Panthers - 1

Nobody is just out there racking up wins against good teams, especially not to the point where you discredit DL performance because of schedule lol.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Is anyone against signing Quinn to a short term contract after this year? I don’t really know how much cost should be a concern when we’re talking about a premium position

jrumann59

Reaction score
The Cowboys have played 2 of the 4 best teams in the NFC. Bad teams are bad, there's no difference between playing Miami and, like Pittsburgh.

Most good teams in the NFL have played, almost exclusively, against bad teams. Go look at NE and SF's schedules. The Lions and Vikings haven't beaten anybody.

Across the league, teams have played the majority of their schedule against bad teams, because most teams are bad.
I did an analysis of this a couple of years back and the difference between winning % of opponents against winning teams and losing teams at the end of the season is like .533 for losing teams and .519 for winning teams. I think I used the Patriots perfect season and Miami who was 1-15 that year. The Dolphins opponents had a record of 111-97 with a total of 6 above 500 teams and 5 teams under 500 and two 8-8 teams. The Pats opponents had a combine record of 108-100 with a total of 7 opponents having records above 500, 5 opponents with records under 500, and 1 team at 8-8. So using 2007 where we had one team go 16-0 and one go 1-15, there was less than 0.020 in winning percentage separating their opponents win/loss percentage.