News: Tank asked for 20 million, Cowboys matched that now Tank asking for 22.5M

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Tank asked for 20 million the cowboys did match that amount he asked for wednesday by 20 or 20.5 millon, then tank went up on his demands should he get 22.5 now and wont have surgery till cowboys sign him to a contract what should be done, i tried to put this down as a poll question but couldnt find poll question option

1. Sign Tank only to the agreed amount first 20 million which cowboys matched
2. Meet tank and his agent halfway, with 21.5 million but tank has to have surgery now as showing good faith
3. Trade tank for holding cowboys up for a number 1 and number 3 and a number 2 in 2020
4. Tank deserves only the 22.5 million and no more pay him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tank asked for 20 million the cowboys did match that amount he asked for wednesday by 20 or 20.5 millon, then tank went up on his demands should he get 22.5 now and wont have surgery till cowboys sign him to a contract what should be done, i tried to put this down as a poll question but couldnt find poll question option

2. Meet tank and his agent halfway, with 21.5 million but tank has to have surgery now as showing good faith
3. Trade tank for holding cowboys up for a number 1 and number 3 and a number 2 in 2020

I'll need to see proof of where "Tank asked for $20 million".

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Meeting Tank halfway is the best option going forward.

Trading him requires a lot to happen. He will have to first sign the tag, then the Cowboys would need to find a trade partner willing to pay him what he wants (bum shoulder and all) and give up a high draft pick or two in the process.

If you're realistically wanting to trade Tank, an AFC team flush with cap space and draft picks are the best options. The Colts have $61 million of cap space and a high second round pick (34) that they got from the Jets last year.

The Raiders are another option, though they'd be tight against the cap if they took on D-Law. They of course have three 1st round picks. Maybe they'd give us the 27 pick back from the Cooper trade if we give them Lawrence? Now I'm just dreaming.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No way Tank should get $22.5 million per year. I’m surprised they offered him 20. That’s QB money. Wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t play this year.

Nick Foles' contract averages $22 million per year. Kirk Cousins is averaging $28 million. Jimmy Garapolo $27.5 million. And that's not even guys that I would consider at the top tier of their position. I mean, Alex Smith is making $23.5 million. I'd much rather have Tank at DE than Smith at QB.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Nick Foles' contract averages $22 million per year. Kirk Cousins is averaging $28 million. Jimmy Garapolo $27.5 million. And that's not even guys that I would consider at the top tier of their position. I mean, Alex Smith is making $23.5 million. I'd much rather have Tank at DE than Smith at QB.

Only 9 QB’s made more than $22.5 million last year.

The top 6 highest paid QB’s last year all failed to make the playoffs. You can’t tie that much money up in one player and expect to be successful. And you certainly can’t do it for a DE.

https://www.ibtimes.com/highest-paid-nfl-quarterbacks-top-10-salaries-2018-football-season-2709158

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No 4-3 DEs make more than 18m...... except DLaw at 20.5m

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

That "low ball" $20 million offer would have made Tank the highest paid DE and 3rd highest paid defender in the NFL. Now he's wanting, according to reports from $22.5 - $23.1 million a year. He's wanting to be paid like the best defender in the NFL, without any of the accomplishments. Mack and Donald have 7 1st team All-Pros and 3 DPOYs between them, Tank has one 2nd team AP, 2 years ago.

slick325

Reaction score
I'll need to see proof of where "Tank asked for $20 million".

I will say this though Stash, if a team is willing to franchise you for $20.5MM for a single season, wouldn't that be the floor when talking AAV?

Maybe I'm wrong but don't think I am. The Cowboys set his value by tagging him or even "threatening" to tag him. They asked him to prove he wasn't a fluke and they will reward him, so of course he believes they will do so.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Bull****. Show the proof where he asked for 20 this offseason.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Only 9 QB’s made more than $22.5 million last year.

The top 6 highest paid QB’s last year all failed to make the playoffs. You can’t tie that much money up in one player and expect to be successful. And you certainly can’t do it for a DE.

https://www.ibtimes.com/highest-paid-nfl-quarterbacks-top-10-salaries-2018-football-season-2709158

We are not talking about last year. Salaries go up every year whether we like it or not. $22.5 million won't even be a starting point for franchise QBs anymore. We have to live in the reality of the game. The reality is that Khalil Mack got $23.5 million per year, so Lawrence is going to be somewhere between that and what Trey Flowers (who is not considered to be quite on Lawrence's level got).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say this though Stash, if a team is willing to franchise you for $20.5MM for a single season, wouldn't that be the floor when talking AAV?

Maybe I'm wrong but don't think I am. The Cowboys set his value by tagging him or even "threatening" to tag him. They asked him to prove he wasn't a fluke and they will reward him, so of course he believes they will do so.

Absolutely. He's got zero incentive to sign for less money than the tag would pay him.

This talk of "Tank asking for $20 million" is someone misunderstanding the facts, or a fabrication. He hasn't changed his asking price. It's always been north of there.