Tank/Cowboys past negotiations?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't care how well you play the run as a DE. If you get sacks in 4 out of 16 games that's not good enough.

He got sacks in 7 out of 16 - but "sacks" are often overrated - show me the pressures, the hits, combined with run stopping.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
When it mattered in the playoffs he couldn’t make an impact.

Look at how the rams shutdown Brady now that’s money well spent defensively at least

Rams have DTs that can collapse and instantly get into the QBs face. No one will disagree that we need DTs. However, it wasn't Lawrence getting dominated against the Rams.

Again, sack numbers can be misleading. I have no issue with Lawrence and his quality of play, he's a double digit sack guy when healthy and that is simply valuable in this league and you can't make an argument against it. What knocks Lawrence is his back and other injury related things.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He really made a difference in the biggest game of the season: 3 tackles, zero QB hits, and the Rams rushed for 273 yards.

....they weren't gashing us from his side. It was gaping holes through the middle.

Verdict

Reaction score
Doesn't matter.....as stated by another poster, I'm pretty sure Stephen had zero intention of giving him a long-term deal last year. In fact, DLaw pretty much implied he was promised a new deal if he followed certain criteria Stephen outlined ( I'm assuming, Pro Bowl, double-digit sacks, leadership and staying healthy). Remember his last statement to FO....."your move"

Hell, even Stephen says they are not that far apart. To hear that from him tells this deal is pretty much done already.

I just hope it's not a $20 plus million per year deal.

Verdict

Reaction score
D Law's value also comes in playing the run. You just don't see DE's with his speed on the edge and I'd venture to say he's one of the best run stopping DE's in the league.

Yes but you don't pay $20m per year for a run stopper with low amount of sacks.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Tank might have resigned last year for less than $17 million as long as it wasn't just a one year deal. Who knows, he may have taken $15-16 million/year had it been for a 4-5 year deal, but it will take much more than that now.

It really doesn't matter what we "could have" signed him for last year. He could hold out any time he felt like he was screwed. That seems to be the trend now days. . .

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Cap and contracts change year to year. Jones, Vernon, and Houston are all getting 17+ - Lawrence getting an extra 3 mil with this market wouldn't be too much of a shocker. The "not showing up" stuff, I would like to see more context to this - he can't constantly beat double teams. JJ Watt and Mack both played next to some really dang good players, Lawrence doesn't have that luxury.

....which is why looking at a DT like Rankins would be a huge benefit.

DLaw is not constantly double teamed. In fact he plas against the RT 1:1 a lot. Idk where people get this info from. Maybe it just fits their agenda.

DLaw plays nect to Collins who is pretty good. Not Watt like but he is no wash either. Irving when on the field is also good.

DLaw had 8 good games in 2017 then disappeared. The same thing can be said about 2018. Good start but after 7 or 8 games he essentially was a no show. He is a great run player and i like that in a LDE. But for that i dont pay him the money he likes to get.

Then came the Rams game. Where he totally disappeared. I want my best players to step up their game in important games. He couldnt. Great players are able to step up their game because when competition gets better they have the talent to compete with other greats. Good players disapear. Like DLaw. He was double teamed this game alot by TEs, WRs and/or RBs. They didnt even need the RT for him most of the time.

A player who had and still has some serious back concerns and now seems to have a torn labrum, which btw is a very serious injury wont get a longterm contract from me.

And a player who plays good but is nothing really special wont get paid special money.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what we "could have" signed him for last year. He could hold out any time he felt like he was screwed. That seems to be the trend now days. . .

To me it really is ridiculous how those players act. They hold out because they get FTed. They get 17mil+ per year and still arent satisfied.

They argue about security for them and their family. Come on 10+ mils is enough security for you your children and theirs. This is not about security. This is called pure greed.

I would cut every single one of those players for that arrogant behaviour. In the end you are someone for amusement of others. Get your head straight. You dont do nothing for humanity. How about some humbleness?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Trade him to the Browns for Ogbah and their 2nd rd pick. They have tons of cap space and Dlaw with Myles Garrett Makes a great combo.

We get Ogbah(A guy we liked in the draft) a 2nd rd pick and get to avoid paying this guy 20 mil a year for 10 sacks.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He had sacks in 9 games this season and played with an injury.
He seems to play with an injury every year. He started strong as usual, but basically disappeared in the playoffs. Coaching Matters! Don’t over pay! Look what NE’s defense did vs the Rams 2nd ranked offense with 0 highly paid DE’s.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
He seems to play with an injury every year. He started strong as usual, but basically disappeared in the playoffs. Coaching Matters! Don’t over pay! Look what NE’s defense did vs the Rams 2nd ranked offense with 0 highly paid DE’s.
Definitely agree, but we are a talent-dependent organization. Even as soon as next year, we don't have the coaching to overcome the deficiencies this team currently has.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He really made a difference in the biggest game of the season: 3 tackles, zero QB hits, and the Rams rushed for 273 yards.

We'll maybe we should let the whole team walk, because nobody performed in that game.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Trade him to the Browns for Ogbah and their 2nd rd pick. They have tons of cap space and Dlaw with Myles Garrett Makes a great combo.

We get Ogbah(A guy we liked in the draft) a 2nd rd pick and get to avoid paying this guy 20 mil a year for 10 sacks.
:thumbdown:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
DLaw is not constantly double teamed. In fact he plas against the RT 1:1 a lot. Idk where people get this info from. Maybe it just fits their agenda.

DLaw plays nect to Collins who is pretty good. Not Watt like but he is no wash either. Irving when on the field is also good.

DLaw had 8 good games in 2017 then disappeared. The same thing can be said about 2018. Good start but after 7 or 8 games he essentially was a no show. He is a great run player and i like that in a LDE. But for that i dont pay him the money he likes to get.

Then came the Rams game. Where he totally disappeared. I want my best players to step up their game in important games. He couldnt. Great players are able to step up their game because when competition gets better they have the talent to compete with other greats. Good players disapear. Like DLaw. He was double teamed this game alot by TEs, WRs and/or RBs. They didnt even need the RT for him most of the time.

A player who had and still has some serious back concerns and now seems to have a torn labrum, which btw is a very serious injury wont get a longterm contract from me.

And a player who plays good but is nothing really special wont get paid special money.

Maliek Collins is "pretty good"? Talk about an agenda...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/maliek-collins/10701

You don't know what you're talking about, clearly. D-Law will be getting a large contract, and Vernon is also nothing "special" and is getting paid good money. JJ Watt is the only special player with that contract. Welcome to the passing league, pal. Pass rushers get paid the big bucks.

"only 8 good games and disappeared" - Back it up, boy. What are you basing this on? Sack stat? Boring counter. Do better.

Next.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He had sacks in 9 games this season and played with an injury.
injury is a weak excuse if it was that bad he wouldn't be cleared to play. His sacks were against Car, NYG, Sea (.5 sack), Det, Ten, ATL, Washington ( .5 sack end of the year against colt mccoy), and Tampa. So had half a sack against one competitve team all season. He doesn't show up against good teams.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Cap and contracts change year to year. Jones, Vernon, and Houston are all getting 17+ - Lawrence getting an extra 3 mil with this market wouldn't be too much of a shocker. The "not showing up" stuff, I would like to see more context to this - he can't constantly beat double teams. JJ Watt and Mack both played next to some really dang good players, Lawrence doesn't have that luxury.

....which is why looking at a DT like Rankins would be a huge benefit.
Jones is better than D Law, vernon bout to be a cap casualty and they overpaid, and houston had a 22.5 sack season when he got extended. This year houston had 9 sacks in 12 games with 5 forced fumbles with a garbage secondary behind him. I never said JJ Watt tho. Mack has countless videos of him killing double teams. So does aaron donald. Those are 20 million dollar d lineman. Y pay a guy 20 mil if he needs talent around him to get to the QB?