Image: Tank got an expensive toy

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In your OP, you suggested they sacrificed to do that. I'm saying they didn't sacrifice anything. They ALL got paid. They didnt sacrifice anything to actually win. And according to more than a few, Romo didn't even win. So how does buying a car that most people would if they could equate to him not being passionate about winning?

Maybe I didn't articulate my thoughts correctly, because we are on different pages.

I think to be a champion, sacrifice is mandatory. And a lot of sacrifice, at that. Sure, money is a byproduct of being a good player, but those players played for the glory and lore of a Super Bowl. Tank is the opposite - he may like to win, but his primary goal is/was money. Payday. Bags. Whatever the current coin phrase is.

Money is irrelevant to my argument - other than it being today's NFL player's driving force for playing. I don't care how players spend their money.

It's not about the money, it's about the desire to win.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think so? lol

I mean, assuming anything about these guys passion for the game when they've probably played since peewee is a little wacky to me.
I agree. Even if they eventually get caught up in the money, or as they get deeper into their careers the money becomes bigger than the game to them, they didn't devise a plan in their youth to get rich by getting to the NFL in the same way someone might plan investment strategies. A young kid can only push through with talent and passion - there always comes a point that they are surrounded by enough talent and competing against enough talent that they have to maintain passion or they will fall to the side along the way. Once they have made it - and the money - that may change, but they have to have the hunger to get there.

Last edited:

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You mean Irvin who was snorting blowing off hookers butt cracks in skeezy hotels?

What these guys do in their spare time is none of your business. Do you expect them to literally have no lives or business outside of the Dallas Cowboys? They're football players, but they're also people with lives, family, hobbies and pursuits off the field.

This is so stupid.
What's stupid is that you don't read beyond a picture.
Scroll through the thread to know my opinion before making yourself look like more of a fool.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You mean Irvin who was snorting blowing off hookers butt cracks in skeezy hotels?

What these guys do in their spare time is none of your business. Do you expect them to literally have no lives or business outside of the Dallas Cowboys? They're football players, but they're also people with lives, family, hobbies and pursuits off the field.

This is so stupid.

I get your point but candidly I get where Jwooten is coming from also.

I think more than anything it's the optics that bother people.
why the heck do these guys have to "tweet" and "instagram" everything these days? Guy has a nice car? Good for him. He's literally living the dream, at least in a financial sense. And speaking only for myself if someone is able to make crazy money playing sports, then good on them. I don't begrudge them that. You're worth what someone is willing to pay you. That's America. That's the way it works and good for them for realizing their dreams.

However from the fan's perspective--we're coming off two pretty embarassing losses back to back, 4 days apart with a pretty important game in Chicago tomorrow. If you're going to tweet out a photo to the world, how about something showing him and few teammates hitting a sled for a few extra reps after practice, or them in the weight room pushing themselves and showing that all the noise coming out of the locker room about "talks over" isn't just cheap talk?

I mean--right now, right this moment--probably not the best time to tweet Cowboy nation about the new Ferrari or Lambo or whatever it is that you just got. Why not just enjoy the toy without broadcasting it to the world? It seems that to some of these guys these days, making sure everyone knows they ahve nice stuff is more valuable than just having nice stuff.

And as Jwooten indicated and I tend to agree with him, all of that sometimes appears to play second fiddle to winning.
He's right. It didn't used to be that way. They got paid back in the day. But it didn't seem to be *the* focal point, at least not as much as it is now....

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I get your point but candidly I get where Jwooten is coming from also.

I think more than anything it's the optics that bother people.
why the heck do these guys have to "tweet" and "instagram" everything these days? Guy has a nice car? Good for him. He's literally living the dream, at least in a financial sense. And speaking only for myself if someone is able to make crazy money playing sports, then good on them. I don't begrudge them that. You're worth what someone is willing to pay you. That's America. That's the way it works and good for them for realizing their dreams.

However from the fan's perspective--we're coming off two pretty embarassing losses back to back, 4 days apart with a pretty important game in Chicago tomorrow. If you're going to tweet out a photo to the world, how about something showing him and few teammates hitting a sled for a few extra reps after practice, or them in the weight room pushing themselves and showing that all the noise coming out of the locker room about "talks over" isn't just cheap talk?

I mean--right now, right this moment--probably not the best time to tweet Cowboy nation about the new Ferrari or Lambo or whatever it is that you just got. Why not just enjoy the toy without broadcasting it to the world? It seems that to some of these guys these days, making sure everyone knows they ahve nice stuff is more valuable than just having nice stuff.

And as Jwooten indicated and I tend to agree with him, all of that sometimes appears to play second fiddle to winning.
He's right. It didn't used to be that way. They got paid back in the day. But it didn't seem to be *the* focal point, at least not as much as it is now....
:hammer: Well said. You say it was better than me! lol

superonyx

Reaction score
In what way did any of these players you named sacrifice anything? Aikman, Irvin, Romo..

IIRC, both Aikman and Irvin got paid max salaries during their era and Irvin was and still is known for flashy attire.

I think Romo made almost 200m with the Cowboys. He sacrificed some of his health, but not much else.

As for Tank...he got a nice toy. It's almost Christmas. Why not treat himself?
This car only cost him about 1.5 hours of game day salary.
Any car I buy on 1.5 hours of salary would come with batteries and a remote.
Good for him.

superonyx

Reaction score
Money was a supplement to their desire to win. These days, money is their main concern
You can't know that. You are projecting your anger on them.
You wouldnt be saying this if we were 11-2 right now.
Do players only deserve to drive the new car he most likely had to order in the summer on a week where we won?

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
I’ve no problem with people spending their money on nice things.

The insurance must be ridiculous on that thing, though.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can't know that. You are projecting your anger on them.
You wouldnt be saying this if we were 11-2 right now.
Do players only deserve to drive the new car he most likely had to order in the summer on a week where we won?

You have an established propensity to overlook/ignore reality and wander off in fairy land, so I'll just invite you to read the rest of this thread if you want to know how I feel.

Your questions will be answered there.

Good day to you, sir.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I’ve no problem with people spending their money on nice things.

The insurance must be ridiculous on that thing, though.
If you can afford the car then you don’t worry about the insurance or gas. I do wonder how much to get the oil changed or service. Should come with free service, guess you don’t have to worry about that either if you can buy the car.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Living up to what Bennett's rant was about - players being all about money and contracts, and not about winning/legacy.

I get it, football is just a job to most players; but it's sad to me that fans now care about team success more than actual members of that team.

It's good Lawrence got paid. He has more money than I'll make in my lifetime.

Some will disagree with me (the usual suspects who I should block just to avoid their annoyances), I expect it. That's cool. But I miss the players like Aikman, Irvin, Romo, etc who would sacrifice anything for the joy and glory of winning a Super Bowl.

Sometimes I wish I could stop caring about the Dallas Cowboys!

The colour is terrible.....

superonyx

Reaction score
I have to disagree…..name ONE player who got his "big payday" that played 1/3 as hard before he got it? I'll wait....And I'm not taking sides here, but back when this was truly about men getting on a fielf and beating the snot out of one another, glory going to the winner, those guys got paid per game played. And it was about 35 bucks a game. Yes I know, loooonng history, those days are done, the day of agents and million $$ contracts is the new thing. Bottom line is, if the NFL, MLB, NBA all just suddenly stopped tomorrow, the sun would still shine, working class stiffs would still head off to earn their pay checks and make the country grow and the world wouldn't come to a stand still....seems like priorities have been sorely misplaced. But hey, he got his payday, do with it as he will, no sweat off my brow....
You are making the common mistake of equating Entertainers to regular 9-5ers. Does it upset you that Tom Hanks makes $20m to pretend he is someone else for an hour and a half movie? He isnt even risking CTE, broken bones, multiple back surgeries ect.

Pro sports is just entertainment. Its not that serious. They are entertaining us and getting paid what people get paid who entertain large amounts of people.

Dre11

Reaction score
And it’s a yellow one. I don’t mind them spending there money. I just wish they would do it during offseason. But it’s not my money. They have a life and it’s a job to them. We as fans live for the season.

lol...do you stop spending money. you a t like these men have no life outside football