Twitter: Tank just got a big dose of motivation

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does any player need to be snubbed to finally get the motivation to do their job?

I wouldn't say "finally", as if he hasn't been motivated before. Lawrence looked pretty damn motivated to me last season.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well, I guess I stand corrected.

That must mean:

1. DLaw hasn’t given his best effort yet because he apparently has more to give if motivated properly. (e.g. Being left off a list)

2. Garrett’s message of effort and fight haven’t been enough for get DLaws best effort.

Maybe other players need to be left off a list to get motivation and the team will win something.
Motivation is like anything else... different strokes for different folks. What motivates you may not motivate me and vice versa.

nobody

Reaction score
I wouldn't say "finally", as if he hasn't been motivated before. Lawrence looked pretty damn motivated to me last season.

It's true that he did good last season, but a lot of players only seem motivated by contract years or by things other people say rather than strive to be the best they can be. I'm not saying that he's one, but why even publicly feel the need to announce it? Just put in on your locker and let your play do the talking.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's true that he did good last season, but a lot of players only seem motivated by contract years or by things other people say rather than strive to be the best they can be. I'm not saying that he's one, but why even publicly feel the need to announce it? Just put in on your locker and let your play do the talking.

I personally think any motivation anyone gets from those things is short lived and doesn't carry through a season, and that if a person doesn't have the motivation to begin with it can't be artificially created in a way that can be sustained. I think the kind of drive to be elite is either there or not.

My belief is also that the contract year phenomenon is largely overstated. I understand why it seems to be significant, which is because it really stands out when someone plays to a level that elevates his status in a contract year, but far and away the majority of the time t doesn't work that way, but people don't really notice that because it doesn't stand out, so it is easily forgotten or not noticed to begin with.

nobody

Reaction score
I personally think any motivation anyone gets from those things is short lived and doesn't carry through a season, and that if a person doesn't have the motivation to begin with it can't be artificially created in a way that can be sustained. I think the kind of drive to be elite is either there or not.

My belief is also that the contract year phenomenon is largely overstated. I understand why it seems to be significant, which is because it really stands out when someone plays to a level that elevates his status in a contract year, but far and away the majority of the time t doesn't work that way, but people don't really notice that because it doesn't stand out, so it is easily forgotten or not noticed to begin with.

Fair enough, but there are plenty of players that are okay, then contract time comes up and they elevate their game. They then get paid and their production drops off again. It happens too often to be "overstated" in my opinion. Now, I get that sometimes the after-payday production drop is just because of a player's age taking a toll, but that's not often the case.