Tank Lawrence ranked 51 in sacks this season

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me guess, the excuse makers and defenders are on this. It's not about sacks but pressures, he's made Quinn better who is stealing his sacks, etc, etc.

Do you really think they paid him 21m a year not be a sack happy fool? They're follow the ball people and that includes the sacks and picks on the D side and this team is not good at either.

The difference is I do not blame Lawrence, I've watched him and there's no drop off from what he did to get that contract. He's the best player on a mediocre D. Why single him out? How have the LB's performed and the secondary? The Cowboys got themselves in a situation where they had to make him the highest paid 4/3 DE in NFL history. All he and his agent did was play the hardball version of the game, same as Elliott.

I would like to see Lawrence with a different D coaching staff.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Let me guess, the excuse makers and defenders are on this. It's not about sacks but pressures, he's made Quinn better who is stealing his sacks, etc, etc.

Do you really think they paid him 21m a year not be a sack happy fool? They're follow the ball people and that includes the sacks and picks on the D side and this team is not good at either.

The difference is I do not blame Lawrence, I've watched him and there's no drop off from what he did to get that contract. He's the best player on a mediocre D. Why single him out? How have the LB's performed and the secondary? The Cowboys got themselves in a situation where they had to make him the highest paid 4/3 DE in NFL history. All he and his agent did was play the hardball version of the game, same as Elliott.

Clowney will be getting a similar contract to Lawrence and he isn't a "sack happy fool" - understand football. If you're elite against the run and good against the pass, you're going to get a big contract.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Interesting to see some in here give Tank benefit of the doubt but blast Zeke on his contract and performance. No skin in this game here myself but it is interesting to read.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Interesting to see some in here give Tank benefit of the doubt but blast Zeke on his contract and performance. No skin in this game here myself but it is interesting to read.

Zeke has been consistently on the decline for a few years now - now he's at a point where he's not at the top level at anything. That's why Zeke is not getting the benefit of the doubt.

Plus he's a RB.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Lmaooooo.

he’s been double teamed more than any player not named JJ Watt this season. 27% of the time.

he’s also won his pass rush battles at a higher rate than all but 5 players in the league, despite the constant double teams.

are people really forgetting he’s an elite run defender? He was the best in the league by a large margin last year among players who even registered close to the same number of sacks he did.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lawrence gets paid for sacks. He's not getting the job done. That's really the bottom line. I mean, when you get paid, you know the expectations are going to be high. You deliver at a level below those expectations and you better expect to hear about it.

Noclaf

Reaction score
Lmaooooo.

he’s been double teamed more than any player not named JJ Watt this season. 27% of the time.

he’s also won his pass rush battles at a higher rate than all but 5 players in the league, despite the constant double teams.

are people really forgetting he’s an elite run defender? He was the best in the league by a large margin last year among players who even registered close to the same number of sacks he did.
There run defence sucks, so far all he has been is a mouth.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Lawrence gets paid for sacks. He's not getting the job done. That's really the bottom line. I mean, when you get paid, you know the expectations are going to be high. You deliver at a level below those expectations and you better expect to hear about it.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

mattjames2010

Reaction score

He gets paid more than just for sacks. You don’t give someone that much money if they are trash at run defense...

Elite DEs have to be all-around players now. Lawrence is great at nearly everything, which is why offenses focus on him

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Anyone think it's because of a lack of effort? I don't. Tank looks like he's playing hard.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He gets paid more than just for sacks. You don’t give someone that much money if they are trash at run defense...

Elite DEs have to be all-around players now. Lawrence is great at nearly everything, which is why offenses focus on him

Yeah, we pretty much did. Run Stoppers don't make that kind of money so yes, we did pay him for sacks. You can dress it up if you wish but end of day, it won't matter. This is the deal. Fans expect production and that means sacks. If you were correct in your statement, this thread wouldn't be here but it is and it's because he isn't producing sacks. But if you want to talk about the run, that's fine too. I mean, if he were producing sacks, nobody would even be bringing up the run but because he's not, we are talking about it now. That's fine, he's not in the top 10 in tackles either. He's not in the top 10 for DLs, he's not even in the top 10 at DE in tackles. So basically, he's not producing there either, as you might expect a player of his stature to produce.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Right, right, so I guess Khalil Mack is an absolute bust with his paltry 6.5 sacks.