Tannenbaum: Dak's market has taken off like a rocket, he'll be highest-paid QB!

lk8701

Reaction score

Let's say Dak wins MVP but plays poorly in the playoffs and loses in the divisional round. Should the Cowboys extend him for big money? Mike Tannenbaum says he'll be the highest paid QB. I don't agree unless he gets it done in the playoffs. I would rather trade him for picks if he doesn't get it done.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak would have to be an absolute moron to hold the team hostage for his next contract. He will have collected over $175 million for his career and another $25-30 million in endorsements. He could play the rest of his career for free and be just fine. What he needs is a ring and the only way he gets it is that he makes concessions with his contract to enable the team to keep Lamb, Parsons, and the other great players around him. If he fails to do that and demands to be the highest paid QB for 5 minutes then I will stop rooting for him because it will mean he is not who I thought he was. I know he has an agent who will be pounding on him to hold the team up as will the NFLPA, but he needs to go full Tom Brady and tell both to kiss his bootay and sign a team friendly deal so he can go get some championships.

Gambit

Reaction score

Let's say Dak wins MVP but plays poorly in the playoffs and loses in the divisional round. Should the Cowboys extend him for big money? Mike Tannenbaum says he'll be the highest paid QB. I don't agree unless he gets it done in the playoffs. I would rather trade him for picks if he doesn't get it done.

No trade clause means you can not trade him, unless he agrees.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak would have to be an absolute moron to hold the team hostage for his next contract. He will have collected over $175 million for his career and another $25-30 million in endorsements. He could play the rest of his career for free and be just fine. What he needs is a ring and the only way he gets it is that he makes concessions with his contract to enable the team to keep Lamb, Parsons, and the other great players around him. If he fails to do that and demands to be the highest paid QB for 5 minutes then I will stop rooting for him because it will mean he is not who I thought he was. I know he has an agent who will be pounding on him to hold the team up as will the NFLPA, but he needs to go full Tom Brady and tell both to kiss his bootay and sign a team friendly deal so he can go get some championships.
Yeah, that's all fine and good and I agree with you, but you have to remember, this is Jerry's team and he an spawn will either cave in to Dak and his agents demands or they can say, see ya. Who do you think wins that fight?

Motorola

Reaction score

If he does poorly in the playoffs again...we should just trade him to a desperate team....and cash him in for an extra 2nd rounder while his value is as high as it will ever be. .
No trade clause means you can not trade him, unless he agrees.
Prescott is not waving his no trade clause because:
A) He wants to continue being the Dallas Cowboys Quarterback;
B) The Dallas Cowboys Owner\General Manager wants him to continue to be his team's QB.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He'd be a bigger moron to not get as much as possible, and Dallas would be stupid to quibble over a couple million dollars.

Negotiations should take 10 minutes.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Lol I just realized what he was suggesting lol
I don't really care if people say that they should move on from Dak

The problem is that nobody who says that will admit how crippling it would be to the roster. Good luck paying more cap dollars and having Trey Lance as your QB lol. If you want to move on from Dak, then you are rebuilding, and you should move on from everybody. There's no scenario in which they lose Dak and Baker Mayfield comes in and takes them to the Super bowl lol

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't really care if people say that they should move on from Dak

The problem is that nobody who says that will admit how crippling it would be to the roster. Good luck paying more cap dollars and having Trey Lance as your QB lol. If you want to move on from Dak, then you are rebuilding, and you should move on from everybody. There's no scenario in which they lose Dak and Baker Mayfield comes in and takes them to the Super bowl lol
Yeah, good luck if Dak can get as much money from the salary cap as he can, to hell with Parsons, CD and other players that the would need to keep when free agency hits the next. Sorry, Parsons, CD, etc, we can't pay you to keep you, we are paying Dak instead. Dak needs to help this team, the team is helping him out big time.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah, that's all fine and good and I agree with you, but you have to remember, this is Jerry's team and he an spawn will either cave in to Dak and his agents demands or they can say, see ya. Who do you think wins that fight?
No you missed my point. My statement was predicated on Dak taking a step back and looking at the big picture and telling his agent to go to hell with that whole "highest paid player" nonsense. Like I said it's only going to be for about 5 minutes anyway and if you handicap your own team in the process what was the point? If I'm in Dak's shoes I tell the agent that if he constructs a deal that causes this team to have to lose Parsons, Lamb, Bland, Lawrence or any of the other great players on this squad then he's fired. Let's re-up this thing at 40 million a year and keep the band together.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
This is what Ive been saying. He has banked already. Make some concessions for the team on this next deal...especially with Will McClay at helm draft wise.

LeBron has a pretty good argument on why the best players on sports teams shouldnt take discounts, though. He basically says these Org's will lie and manipulate you with "Look...so and so did it...you should too" ultimately decreasing the value of top athletes and he doesnt want to be a part of setting that precedent. Its something along those lines...I might have it it a little wrong. I read about it a few years ago and it made complete sense...basically top athletes should not take discounts and the reasoning was sound. Google it if its something interesting to any readers here.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He'd be a bigger moron to not get as much as possible, and Dallas would be stupid to quibble over a couple million dollars.

Negotiations should take 10 minutes.
I'm not talking about a couple million. I'm talking about 5-6 million a year. And a long term deal to minimize cap hits. Screw this "gotta be the highest paid" noise and the whole "short term deal so I can cash in again" crap too. He has enough money already to last 5 lifetimes.. If he cares more about all that other nonsense then to hell with him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No you missed my point. My statement was predicated on Dak taking a step back and looking at the big picture and telling his agent to go to hell with that whole "highest paid player" nonsense. Like I said it's only going to be for about 5 minutes anyway and if you handicap your own team in the process what was the point? If I'm in Dak's shoes I tell the agent that if he constructs a deal that causes this team to have to lose Parsons, Lamb, Bland, Lawrence or any of the other great players on this squad then he's fired. Let's re-up this thing at 40 million a year and keep the band together.
I got you...they are going to give him a new contract and I'm not really a pocket watcher on other people coins, the "no trade clause" is what I did not like when Dak first came on the team, but that is not a problem anymore because no team would want him at his price. I guess we will see what he demands. Win the SB...take all the cake you want.

JustChip

Reaction score
This is what Ive been saying. He has banked already. Make some concessions for the team on this next deal...especially with Will McClay at helm draft wise.

LeBron has a pretty good argument on why the best players on sports teams shouldnt take discounts, though. He basically says these Org's will lie and manipulate you with "Look...so and so did it...you should too" ultimately decreasing the value of top athletes and he doesnt want to be a part of setting that precedent. Its something along those lines...I might have it it a little wrong. I read about it a few years ago and it made complete sense...basically top athletes should not take discounts and the reasoning was sound. Google it if its something interesting to any readers here.
That’s the mantra of the MLBPA. A rising tide lifts all boats. If I remember right, the MLBPA has to approve all contracts.