Twitter: TE Lucas might make the team afterall

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sounds like they made have to find a way to keep him..........initially anyway. Not sure what injuries the other TE's are dealing with but maybe they can us the IR-return destination on one.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Not TE's in general, but the all purpose TE that performs at a high level as both a blocker and receiver is.
Not that the TE positional player is becoming a rarity, but its the importance of the TE position at the NFL level, in todays game.
The days of the Antonio Gates and Anthony Gonzalez are becoming a thing of the past.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Not that the TE positional player is becoming a rarity, but its the importance of the TE position at the NFL level, in todays game.
The days of the Antonio Gates and Anthony Gonzalez are becoming a thing of the past.
Neither of those guys were good blockers.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Looks like Noah Brown might make the team is more like it

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Lucas has the look of a guy that could be something if you had a year to invest in him. He’s a guy no one ever heard of and looked 10 times better on day one than Rico after he’d been here for three years. I have the same feeling about him as I did with Amendola. He had shown enough to project that with just a little time and improvement, he was going to be a damn good player. That’s how I feel about Lucas. You can just see the athleticism and catching ability and project that he could become a very good TE.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not sure about that. Last year George Kittle set the NFL record for receiving yards by a TE in a season, and the guys he passed were Travis Kelce, who is still playing, and Gronkowski, who just retired. All 3 of those guys were the best receivers on their team. As was Zach Ertz with the Eagles. In addition, Eric Ebron was tied with Devonte Adams for the 2nd most receiving TDs in the NFL last year at 13.

conner01

Reaction score
I need more sampling but damn, he looks smooth and poises to me........as if he belongs. Again, not a lot to go one but I'm finding a way to keep him if I'm Garrett. Hell, he damn near did more in three quarters than Rico in three years.
Makes you wonder why he never made any of the 8-9 teams he’s been on

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair, Schultz is looking like a pretty big whiff. I thought TE was one of their biggest needs going into the draft.

Schultz was the last pick in the 4th round, so even if they missed on him it isn't really that big a whiff. But, it's pretty premature to call him a whiff at all. It's not a stretch to think he could end up as a decent backup who can catch a few passes and block well, and if he can do that he will have done okay for an end of the 4th round pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lucas has the look of a guy that could be something if you had a year to invest in him. He’s a guy no one ever heard of and looked 10 times better on day one than Rico after he’d been here for three years. I have the same feeling about him as I did with Amendola. He had shown enough to project that with just a little time and improvement, he was going to be a damn good player. That’s how I feel about Lucas. You can just see the athleticism and catching ability and project that he could become a very good TE.
He has been on practice squads and training camps for 5 years. This is his 6th year and 9th team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Makes you wonder why he never made any of the 8-9 teams he’s been on

It's a weird thing. He apparently has been good enough to get a look for 6 years, but not good enough to make a 53 man roster. I believe he was a WR coming out of college, and then bulked up to become a TE, so maybe the "tweener" status hurt him for a few years as he made the transition.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lucas, looks like a receiver on the field. He can smoothly run intermediate and deep routes. The other TE's seem to lumber down the field. His blocking is on par with the rest (non-existent).