Twitter: TE Lucas might make the team afterall

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a weird thing. He apparently has been good enough to get a look for 6 years, but not good enough to make a 53 man roster. I believe he was a WR coming out of college, and then bulked up to become a TE, so maybe the "tweener" status hurt him for a few years as he made the transition.
Yes he was about 218 pounds in pre-draft measurements and was a WR in college.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz is the best blocker of the TEs on the roster.

He is basically James Hanna.
I always thought Hanna was underutilized as a receiver. He caught passes in college, and with the Cowboys he did a good job as a receiver on the rare occasion he was targeted. Obviously Witten was going to get the bulk of the targets, but I thought Hanna could have supplemented the offense by catching 20-25 passes a year.

conner01

Reaction score
It's a weird thing. He apparently has been good enough to get a look for 6 years, but not good enough to make a 53 man roster. I believe he was a WR coming out of college, and then bulked up to become a TE, so maybe the "tweener" status hurt him for a few years as he made the transition.
I’m curious about his blocking
He seems to be able to run good routes and carch

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He has been on practice squads and training camps for 5 years. This is his 6th year and 9th team.

Wow, didn’t know that. Maybe that why he looks polished beyond what I thought was a 1st or 2nd year guy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m curious about his blocking
He seems to be able to run good routes and carch

I've wondered that too. My guess is that coming from a background as a WR it isn't his strong suit.

blueblood70

Reaction score
no more TEs, simply go 4-5 wide all the time similar to Steelers and still run out of it.. its the modern way..one decent TE is all that needed, spread the D thin choose what you do in the holes it leaves...

Beaker42

Reaction score
I need more sampling but damn, he looks smooth and poises to me........as if he belongs. Again, not a lot to go one but I'm finding a way to keep him if I'm Garrett. Hell, he damn near did more in three quarters than Rico in three years.
Think maybe it’s because they’ve been throwing to him and they didn’t to Rico? Hard to make a catch if it’s going somewhere else.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Fan favorite for a reason. Kid looks good. He looks better than Shultz.

If we kept him over Schultz, I wouldn't be upset about it. I don't have anything against Schultz, but Lucas has looked better as a receiver. And Schultz wasn't blocking that well this preseason from what I saw, which is supposed to be his strength.

Praxit

Reaction score
If we kept him over Schultz, I wouldn't be upset about it. I don't have anything against Schultz, but Lucas has looked better as a receiver. And Schultz wasn't blocking that well this preseason from what I saw, which is supposed to be his strength.
....yeah, usually when I see players they give off a sense of aura. Lucas has that natural synergy about him, the way he runs and catches. Schultz more on the stiffer side. Works harder to make it work. Theres more aspects to contend with like blocking and route running. Nonetheless, I would give Lucas a shot.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. Last year George Kittle set the NFL record for receiving yards by a TE in a season, and the guys he passed were Travis Kelce, who is still playing, and Gronkowski, who just retired. All 3 of those guys were the best receivers on their team. As was Zach Ertz with the Eagles. In addition, Eric Ebron was tied with Devonte Adams for the 2nd most receiving TDs in the NFL last year at 13.
There’s not one on every team, your right

cern

Reaction score
Bennett, Phillips, and hanna were all victims of the progress stopping witten. We finally began to develop our te's last year without witten. Hoping history does not repeat itself.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Schultz is the best blocker of the TEs on the roster.

He is basically James Hanna.
That is the hope but last year Schultz was not a very good blocker. Supposedly he worked on his technique and built up his strength to be better. We need him to be a better blocker or we will need to carry a 4th TE because Witten is no longer a good blocker and Jarwin was not very good at all last year. I don't think Lucas is known for his blocking either but I'm not sure. I thought McElroy was the one who was supposed to be a good blocker. If so and if he is healthy, don't be shocked if he surprises and makes the 53 and is active on game day. This Offense requires at least one good run blocking TE. It would be ironic after finally getting rid of the basketball player if we bring in a baseball player to replace him..

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That is the hope but last year Schultz was not a very good blocker. Supposedly he worked on his technique and built up his strength to be better. We need him to be a better blocker or we will need to carry a 4th TE because Witten is no longer a good blocker and Jarwin was not very good at all last year. I don't think Lucas is known for his blocking either but I'm not sure. I thought McElroy was the one who was supposed to be a good blocker. If so and if he is healthy, don't be shocked if he surprises and makes the 53 and is active on game day. This Offense requires at least one good run blocking TE. It would be ironic after finally getting rid of the basketball player if we bring in a baseball player to replace him..
You're getting McElroy and Schultz confused then. Schultz is the better blocker. McElroy is similar to Rico. Was a baseball player/athlete convert. He just has a little more experience at football then Rico did.

Jarntt

Reaction score
You're getting McElroy and Schultz confused then. Schultz is the better blocker. McElroy is similar to Rico. Was a baseball player/athlete convert. He just has a little more experience at football then Rico did.
No I'm not. Schultz was supposed to be a good blocker but really wasn't last year. I'm not sure why people think he was. Being a better blocker than Jarwin and Rico isn't all that hard. Swaim was the guy last year, when healthy, that did most of the blocking for us. Schultz worked on it a lot this offseason to get better. Hopefully he is indeed better or I think we will end up bringing in a 4th TE at some point that can block because this Offense needs it.

What I'm saying about McElroy is I thought I read somewhere he was supposed to be a good blocker. I only know what I've read and seen and what I have seen is almost nothing. If McElroy is not a good blocker I suspect we will scour the waiver wire for one UNLESS the team feels Schultz has improved enough. The thing about blocking TEs is that you can usually find one if you want.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't know where you got the idea that Schultz has issues as a blocker last season.

McElroy has no clue about blocking.

Lucas has some ability to block. Better than Jarwin or McElroy. I would need to see more to know how good.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I don't know where you got the idea that Schultz has issues as a blocker last season.

McElroy has no clue about blocking.

Lucas has some ability to block. Better than Jarwin or McElroy. I would need to see more to know how good.
Schultz absolutely had issues blocking last year. He came into the league expected to be a really good blocker. He really wasn't last year. He was thrown around and got no push in the run game. He did improve later in the season but he was not the blocker he was expected to be