Twitter: TE Lucas might make the team afterall

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys worked out a couple of guys since almost all of out TEs are nursing injuries.
According to Todd Archer at ESPN:
With Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz, Codey McElroy and Marcus Lucas battling injuries and Jason Witten not playing in Thursday's preseason finale against Tampa Bay, the Cowboys worked out tight ends Tyrone Swoopes and Zach Conque. Swoopes played quarterback at Texas and has been on and off Seattle's practice squad the last two years. Conque, who played quarterback at Stephen F. Austin, was most recently with the Colts.
My alma mater - SFASU!

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Bennett, Phillips, and hanna were all victims of the progress stopping witten. We finally began to develop our te's last year without witten. Hoping history does not repeat itself.
Yeah it’s been a real shame having a progress-stopping Hall of Fame tight end.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz absolutely had issues blocking last year. He came into the league expected to be a really good blocker. He really wasn't last year. He was thrown around and got no push in the run game. He did improve later in the season but he was not the blocker he was expected to be
At the point they needed him (after Swaim out) he was a good blocker.

Mr_437

Reaction score
If there was a main guy to benefit from Witten coming back is Shultz. Jarwin is a different animal, but Shultz can learn how to win by watching #82.

On topic, Marcus Love has showed up very well, and I think he'll be the first call if any injury occurred. I just see JG, KM n Dak rolling with only Witten, Jarwin n Shultz unless a TE4 comes available after cuts, they covet.

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score
At the point they needed him (after Swaim out) he was a good blocker.
Yeah, I tend to agree with that. Down the stretch he was better. He still needs to improve though and like I said it seemed to be a concerted effort from him and the team for him to improve so fingers crossed that he will be. I think it was more a case of a first year guy that just needed to build more strength and perhaps feel more comfortable in between the lines because I think (hope) he has it in him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not that the TE positional player is becoming a rarity, but its the importance of the TE position at the NFL level, in todays game.
The days of the Antonio Gates and Anthony Gonzalez are becoming a thing of the past.
I'd say those two guys are pretty much responsible for the way TEs are used today. It's the Jason Wittens of the world who are disappearing.

Evan Engram, OJ Howard, Zach Ertz, etc. are all largely a byproduct of what Gates and Gonzalez were able to do.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
no more TEs, simply go 4-5 wide all the time similar to Steelers and still run out of it.. its the modern way..one decent TE is all that needed, spread the D thin choose what you do in the holes it leaves...
I'd always keep an H-back who can block from the backfield and inline, though I agree that there's minimal need for a true TE.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd always keep an H-back who can block from the backfield and inline, though I agree that there's minimal need for a true TE.

I don't really understand that though because every team has blocking TE's that they don't throw to very often (some almost never), so if that blocking TE were also a capable receiver it stands to reason the dual threat would be a benefit.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz and Jarwin started coming around last year. Need more reps and coaching. Hopefully, Witten helps them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I tend to agree with that. Down the stretch he was better. He still needs to improve though and like I said it seemed to be a concerted effort from him and the team for him to improve so fingers crossed that he will be. I think it was more a case of a first year guy that just needed to build more strength and perhaps feel more comfortable in between the lines because I think (hope) he has it in him.
Yes, they were able to work him into the mix gradually which is the ideal process with rookies.

Prior to Swaim being out, Schultz played 5 games and averaged about 20% of the snaps.

After Swaim, Schultz played 6 games and averaged about 55% of the snaps.

I'm happy to know that you know the details of a down the roster player like Schultz. Most people don't.

superonyx

Reaction score
no more TEs, simply go 4-5 wide all the time similar to Steelers and still run out of it.. its the modern way..one decent TE is all that needed, spread the D thin choose what you do in the holes it leaves...
Sick of internet know it all's that think they know more than the nfl coaches. :lmao2::oldcouple::thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sick of internet know it all's that think they know more than the nfl coaches. :lmao2::oldcouple::thumbup:
what do you mean, I was being facetious we all know we dont have the QB or WRs to run that type of system.. :lmao::lmao2:

I guess your sarcasm meter is off Sheldon..:popcorn:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, they were able to work him into the mix gradually which is the ideal process with rookies.

Prior to Swaim being out, Schultz played 5 games and averaged about 20% of the snaps.

I'm happy to know that you know the details of a down the roster player like Schultz. Most people don't.
These are good stats to know. Thanks for the info guys. Gives me more appreciation of a player's value.

Jarntt

Reaction score

At the same time, with Rico as the other option Schultz would have been playing a lot of those snaps regardless of how he was playing after Swaim went out and with Jarwin not being much of a blocker even if Schultz didn't improve as the year went along he was at least better than Jarwin at blocking (and miles better than Rico). So while I agree with the premise, I don't think just the snap counts tell the whole story there, but again I do agree with you. I think it is also a reason that Noah Brown played as big of a role as he did last year once healthy. As we know he is a really good blocker for a WR and I think we used that in part because of the lack of options at TE. Of course we all knew every time Brown went in motion from out wide or the slot to the OTs hip it was going to be a run and so did the defense. But, let's hope Moore changes that.