Teacher Jailed After Brawl With Parent

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Link

Strange News - AP

MACON, Georgia - A teacher-parent brawl in front of 19 primary school pupils sent a mother to the emergency room and the teacher to jail.

Teacher Katrina Ann Rucker, 30, is charged with battery and cruelty to children for allegedly beating a parent who tried to retrieve her daughter's book bag, The Macon Telegraph newspaper reported Friday.

According to police interviews, parent Lurella Amica went to Bruce-Weir Elementary School Thursday morning to deliver a note to her 9-year-old daughter.

At the classroom door, the girl told her mother that Rucker had thrown her bag in the trash can, the report stated. Amica entered the classroom and tried to get the book bag, but Rucker grabbed for it and the two struggled, the report said.

After Amica wrestled the bag away, police say Rucker picked up a chair and hit her in the back, knocking Amica to the floor. Rucker then began punching Amica in the face and body.

During the fight, the girl was reportedly crying for her teacher to stop hitting her mother and ran up to them. Rucker then allegedly hit the child, pulled her hair and pushed her out of the way before starting to strike the mother again.

Rucker dragged Amica by the hair outside the classroom, according to the report.

"A school administrator and another teacher had to pull the teacher off the mother," Macon police spokeswoman Melanie Hofmann said.

In Rucker's account of the story, she said Amica hit her hand during the initial struggle, Hofmann said.

"The teacher said she was defending herself because she gets a shot in that hand and it hurt," Hofmann said.

Amica was in stable condition in the emergency room of The Medical Center of Central Georgia late Thursday night.

Rucker was placed on administrative leave.

Sylvia McGee, Bibb County's deputy superintendent, said school staff called the parent or guardian of each child in the class. Social workers counseled students, and only Amica's daughter left school early.

Principal Karen Konke sent letters to parents about the incident.

"Let me assure you the school is safe and that our students have been involved in appropriate instructional activities throughout the day," Konke wrote.​

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
things like this are so scary and sad to hear about. Parents like to think that when their children aren't home that they are safe at school. We don't expect our children not to be safe with a teacher.

Way back in the day...LOL My sixth grade teacher struck a classmate in the face w/ a fist, sending him over a students desk. We all ran out of the room screaming. He was excused for hitting Peter because he was having a bad day and had a headache. I've never forgotten that.

Maybe they should start having manditory teacher support groups on campus. A once a month meeting for teachers/Admin to discuss stress or issue resolutions that don't include punching a parent in front of a class..

To the teachers defense, that parent should have gotten the principle and taken care of it in that matter and not defy the teacher in front of the class. Though the teacher was wrong in what they were doing, they need to have some control in the classroom and not have parents in there disrupting class without an Administrator w/ them.

IMO

trickblue said:
Link

Strange News - AP

MACON, Georgia - A teacher-parent brawl in front of 19 primary school pupils sent a mother to the emergency room and the teacher to jail.

Teacher Katrina Ann Rucker, 30, is charged with battery and cruelty to children for allegedly beating a parent who tried to retrieve her daughter's book bag, The Macon Telegraph newspaper reported Friday.

According to police interviews, parent Lurella Amica went to Bruce-Weir Elementary School Thursday morning to deliver a note to her 9-year-old daughter.

At the classroom door, the girl told her mother that Rucker had thrown her bag in the trash can, the report stated. Amica entered the classroom and tried to get the book bag, but Rucker grabbed for it and the two struggled, the report said.

After Amica wrestled the bag away, police say Rucker picked up a chair and hit her in the back, knocking Amica to the floor. Rucker then began punching Amica in the face and body.

During the fight, the girl was reportedly crying for her teacher to stop hitting her mother and ran up to them. Rucker then allegedly hit the child, pulled her hair and pushed her out of the way before starting to strike the mother again.

Rucker dragged Amica by the hair outside the classroom, according to the report.

"A school administrator and another teacher had to pull the teacher off the mother," Macon police spokeswoman Melanie Hofmann said.

In Rucker's account of the story, she said Amica hit her hand during the initial struggle, Hofmann said.

"The teacher said she was defending herself because she gets a shot in that hand and it hurt," Hofmann said.

Amica was in stable condition in the emergency room of The Medical Center of Central Georgia late Thursday night.

Rucker was placed on administrative leave.

Sylvia McGee, Bibb County's deputy superintendent, said school staff called the parent or guardian of each child in the class. Social workers counseled students, and only Amica's daughter left school early.

Principal Karen Konke sent letters to parents about the incident.

"Let me assure you the school is safe and that our students have been involved in appropriate instructional activities throughout the day," Konke wrote.​

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
cat fight

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v194/dmxinsd/Stuff/strongbadtranceanim.gif

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
That is horrible.

It must leave a child psychologically scared for life to witness their parent getting beat like that.

Anyone remember the Hockey dad? Where the kid witnessed his dad get beat to death at the hockey rink in Massachussettes back in 2000 I think?

How awful . . .

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Midswat said:
That is horrible.

It must leave a child psychologically scared for life to witness their parent getting beat like that.

Anyone remember the Hockey dad? Where the kid witnessed his dad get beat to death at the hockey rink in Massachussettes back in 2000 I think?

How awful . . .

I remember that... it was all over the news for a week and so was the tape of the beating.

changed the way my sons little league dealt with unruley spectators

jamez25

Reaction score
nothing makes a hand feel better then using it on someone's skull.... :rolleyes:

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
To the teachers defense, that parent should have gotten the principle and taken care of it in that matter and not defy the teacher in front of the class. Though the teacher was wrong in what they were doing, they need to have some control in the classroom and not have parents in there disrupting class without an Administrator w/ them.

IMO

This "teacher" has no defense. If she would do this to a parent, Lord knows what she could/would do to the children when she thought that no one was looking.
I agree that a third party should've been brought in because some situations could esculate to bigger situations just like this one did. If to serve no other purpose, then at least a witness.
We have no idea of how it transpired. Did the mom walk in and demand the bag? Did the mom walk up to the trash and attempt to retrieve it without speaking? We don't have the answers and probably never will. But this "teacher" had absolutely no right to put her hands on the mother and damn well not the child.
If a teacher is having a "bad day", then by all means, call in sick.
She should be brought up on charges and dismissed from that school.
JMO.

trickblue

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
This "teacher" has no defense. If she would do this to a parent, Lord knows what she could/would do to the children when she thought that no one was looking.
I agree that a third party should've been brought in because some situations could esculate to bigger situations just like this one did. If to serve no other purpose, then at least a witness.
We have no idea of how it transpired. Did the mom walk in and demand the bag? Did the mom walk up to the trash and attempt to retrieve it without speaking? We don't have the answers and probably never will. But this "teacher" had absolutely no right to put her hands on the mother and damn well not the child.
JMO.

I agree with you in the fact that we don't usually get the "whole story" Mark... but the thing that stands out to me here is the chair to the back...

This is about to be a rich woman...

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
trickblue said:
I agree with you in the fact that we don't usually get the "whole story" Mark... but the thing that stands out to me here is the chair to the back...

This is about to be a rich woman...
That's what really blew me away. Only one of two ways to get hit in the back, attempting to brace for an impact, or to be getting away from the situation. Either way TB, you are correct on the money...but don't go and try to marry her for her money now. :p

trickblue

Reaction score
That's what really blew me away. Only one of two ways to get hit in the back, attempting to brace for an impact, or to be getting away from the situation. Either way TB, you are correct on the money...but don't go and try to marry her for her money now. :p

I need to see a pic first... I'm shallow like that... although deep pockets makes them much more attractive...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Sounds like the teacher has watched to much WWF :D

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
well if she would have let the mother grab the bag and give it to her kid i think the pupils would have lost respect for the teacher but that is no reason to open a can of whoop a** on her

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
trickblue said:
excellent point... I keep a set of beer goggles in my fridge...
OK then, I'll marry the teacher. You might have the rich one, but at least I can say, my wife can beat up your wife. :D

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
JMO.

My statement was taken out of context or I didn't state it properly...

I didn't mean defense as in she had cause to do as she did... I meant it as the whole issue could have been avoided if the parent would have followed a general rule that you don't interfere with a teacher, you let the principle do it or it is done in the office, not in class. It all started over a backpack being thrown away... why was it thrown away? Did the girl swing it at someone? Was she asked to pick it up off the floor and didn't, so the teacher put it in the trash?

I'm not saying the teacher is right... believe me, There is no excuse for her assaultive behavior....I've had several confrontations with teachers over things more serious than a backpack in a trash can, but I handled it in the principles office w/ the teacher and in one case got the teacher removed from the class for good.

I just think there is more to this story than being told

trickblue

Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
My statement was taken out of context or I didn't state it properly...

I didn't mean defense as in she had cause to do as she did... I meant it as the whole issue could have been avoided if the parent would have followed a general rule that you don't interfere with a teacher, you let the principle do it or it is done in the office, not in class. It all started over a backpack being thrown away... why was it thrown away? Did the girl swing it at someone? Was she asked to pick it up off the floor and didn't, so the teacher put it in the trash?

I'm not saying the teacher is right... believe me, There is no excuse for her assaultive behavior....I've had several confrontations with teachers over things more serious than a backpack in a trash can, but I handled it in the principles office w/ the teacher and in one case got the teacher removed from the class for good.

I just think there is more to this story than being told

Appeaser... I assume you are voting for John Kerry? :D

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Appeaser... I assume you are voting for John Kerry? :D

Bite me Trick :p

I just posted what I was trying to put across in the first one... Don't want anyone thinking I would defend a teacher right now... I'm in a debate w/ a certain government teacher that doesn't want to teach all the fact... just the facts as he see's fit

BTW... Already voted last Saturday and it WAS NOT John Kerry...

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
Bite me Trick :p

I just posted what I was trying to put across in the first one... Don't want anyone thinking I would defend a teacher right now... I'm in a debate w/ a certain government teacher that doesn't want to teach all the fact... just the facts as he see's fit

BTW... Already voted last Saturday and it WAS NOT John Kerry...

Hit him with a chair :D