Teaching receivers how to run routes or throw a football

malbis030347

Reaction score
One would think these guys had high school and college to understand their craft yet every year we have to hear about receivers learning to run routes or a qb throwing a football correctly…. And on top of it we pay them millions!!!

sbark

Reaction score
Most, even if coached well, take the easy route thru h.s. & even college getting by on their athletism, or simply cannot retain it

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Think of it as OJT. No matter what college a player goes to, they can't prepare them for what they would face in the professional world. Especially when everyone around them are world class athletes.

Also at the end of the day, no matter how much they get paid... they're human.

blueblood70

Reaction score
One would think these guys had high school and college to understand their craft yet every year we have to hear about receivers learning to run routes or a qb throwing a football correctly…. And on top of it we pay them millions!!!
I'm not sure why you're surprised people who go from being an intern or having their first jobs as they get promoted they get sent in new training it's a big adjustment how about going from each level of school like from middle school to high school from high school to college you have to relearn how to socialize and also how to adapt and learn how to study and pass tests in a different manner.... Just because you think you know something doesn't mean that there's a net not a next level.. So it's not as much as learning if it's relearning to do it correctly you can get away with talent alone just like Johnny manziel's a really good example the guy didn't make it in the NFL because he didn't know how to read defenses and he claims he never even looked at his playbook literally didn't really understand all the route trees and the timing involved but when he got to the professional level he didn't have all the advantages where he's allowed to play Sandlot football and just Chuck the ball around the field...

So did he and Mike Evans and all that other talent he had with him know how to play football sure they did but when they went to the next level Mike Evans worked out well because he was carrying Johnny manzel in college by just being able to run down the field or maybe run 3 routes preconceived in the huddle hey I'm about to run a nine route throw it to me that's not how it works at the professional level...

So it doesn't surprise me that these guys have to you know clean up what they do not necessarily relearn it learn to do it better more efficiently and the way your coaches want you to do it in order to fit their scheme...​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Think of it as OJT. No matter what college a player goes to, they can't prepare them for what they would face in the professional world. Especially when everyone around them are world class athletes.

Also at the end of the day, no matter how much they get paid... they're human.
Exactly I agree with most people responding here I don't know how the original poster doesn't understand this it happens all through walks of life no matter what business it is or in this case sports like you said you could be college level player say Ezekiel Elliott it's awesome in college as a running back but he also was really good in high school and college when it came to track and field he had some skills he would have never made it in professional track and field unless he gave up football and all he did was train for hurdles and maybe train for the Olympics and got better at it but yes he went on sheer athleticism up to that point he was a more natural football player so when he got to the pros he didn't need much help but you can't stop learning and every time you move up a level they're gonna teach you how to clean it up and make you sharper and better at it...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Exactly I agree with most people responding here I don't know how the original poster doesn't understand this it happens all through walks of life no matter what business it is or in this case sports like you said you could be college level player say Ezekiel Elliott it's awesome in college as a running back but he also was really good in high school and college when it came to track and field he had some skills he would have never made it in professional track and field unless he gave up football and all he did was train for hurdles and maybe train for the Olympics and got better at it but yes he went on sheer athleticism up to that point he was a more natural football player so when he got to the pros he didn't need much help but you can't stop learning and every time you move up a level they're gonna teach you how to clean it up and make you sharper and better at it...
Spot on.. as the old saying goes, "If you aint gittin better, you're fallin behind."

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I have my drivers license and can drive in circles for days.....Doesn't mean that I'm ready to drive in a nascar race though.

What's considered a good route in college doesn't mean it's a good route in the pros. It's simply a different level of play with a lower margin of error. These guys can all run routes, but with each step into a higher league those routes need to be cleaner, crisper, quicker. A college coach for the most part is going to coach his guy up well enough to make plays on Saturday. They want to help get these guys into the NFL, but i'm not sure their main focus is getting them NFL ready.

GMO415

Reaction score
As a professional one of your core values should be "Quality Through Continuous Improvement."

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
most high schoolers don't. most of these players have great physical skills, and admired by their coaches, teams in high school. they get away with just being physically gifted. similarly in college specially these days with spread offenses, putting lots of WRs out there and ending up against 3rd, 4th strong CBs. only a few coaches in college teach proper route running and position skills. Alamaba's Nick Saban was one. he focused on fundamanetals with his players specially CBs. they all had solid fundamentals when they got to NFL.

a lot of them have to really learn the little stuff when they get in NFL, as everybody is skilled, physically gifted. so those who committ to their craft, spend extra time, study more film tend to make the bigger millions.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
All professional athletes work on fundamentals.
True but some put more effort into it than others. Some are so used to being physically superior they basically just go through the motions when fundamentals are being taught. Those are the guys who fall off the cliff when their physical gifts start to erode.