Test scores for Hill vs. Donald vs. Q Williams

dallasdave

Reaction score
here is his chart from btb

dt_2019.jpg
Hey Putty with this chart of yours, what does it say about Dan Wise ?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
There are scouts who love Hill. He has some insane numbers for a guy who is basically fat.
This guy is raw as rain and is a character concern but if he has connected with Rod and respects him fully he has a chance to be another DT Rod hits on.

If you go get a Bama DT the kid will be FARRRR more refined but he's also reached 99% of his potential at Bama.
This kid is just scratching the surface.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To be in The conversation athletically with Donald, while having 20+ lbs on him is impressive. It seems to come down to the kids personality. Was/is that his problem or was it just a case of the coach not liking him? We’ll see. Plenty of talent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
To be in The conversation athletically with Donald, while having 20+ lbs on him is impressive. It seems to come down to the kids personality. Was/is that his problem or was it just a case of the coach not liking him? We’ll see. Plenty of talent.
He has almost 40 pounds on Donald coming out of Pitt. Aaron was 279-285 at Pitt.
It is only reason he fell outside top 5.
DAL fans wanted him so bad....

Hill started 26 games for the prior staff and that staff LOVES him.

Was he entitled and a jerk to the new staff? Very likely.

But he is 21 years old. 21.
He had double digit tackles for loss and 3 sacks last year even after being benched by the new staff.

Scotman

Reaction score
Hill, while not starting his junior year, was also awarded the Bronco Nagurski Award, the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Outland Trophy. He was part of a team that went on a 25 game winning streak.

Here's what one analyst had to say about him, "Hill is one of the most urgent football players my eyes have ever seen. He battles on every single snap, fires off the ball with intent and pursues the football with reckless abandon. With that said, Hill is often more active than he is effective. More technique is required for Hill to take advantage of his motor that always runs hot. While he outworks opponents and makes his share of plays, that will be mitigated at the next level and more functional strength and hand technique is necessary for him to make an impact. Hill’s elite competitive demeanor is worth taking a chance on and he should be able to make an impact in a rotation."

He was endorsed by Scott Frost, his former coach and the AAC Coach of the Year in 2017. Frost also took UCF from winless to undefeated in 2 years. The year they went undeafeted, Hill was an important player for the team in the Bowl game win while registering a sack . The year the lost in their bowl game to break their winning streak, the new coach barely played him.

You have a coaching squad that replaced a virtual legendary coaching staff telling you that this kid has attitude/coachability issues. The previous coach reported no such issues. Perhaps he does maturity issues. But, I'm willing to give him and the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt here. He's JUST turned 21 on March 25th.

If there was ever a time to wait and see how a pick actually performs, this is it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Aaron Donald = future HOF player, dominant in college
Hill = barely got playing time at a near D2 school

I’ll contain my enthusiasm for now
Yeah, hard to compare to absolute greats.
Agree

But your school comparison is silly.
The college Hill went to (UCF) has a better football program than the one Donald played for (Pittsburgh)
UCF, a giant school with more students than Ohio State or Texas, has a football team ranked in the top 10-20 at the highest level for a few years now.
Not remotely like a D2 school.

GMO415

Reaction score
He's not expected to start so plenty of time for his development

waldoputty

Reaction score
if he was very productive in college, we are not getting him at the end of the 2nd.
he had a problem with new coaches in his senior year.
note that an analyst complained how his college coaches did not start him after he balled out in the penultimate game.
there was a problem there.
probably on both sides.
Hill, while not starting his junior year, was also awarded the Bronco Nagurski Award, the Chuck Bednarik Award and the Outland Trophy. He was part of a team that went on a 25 game winning streak.

Here's what one analyst had to say about him, "Hill is one of the most urgent football players my eyes have ever seen. He battles on every single snap, fires off the ball with intent and pursues the football with reckless abandon. With that said, Hill is often more active than he is effective. More technique is required for Hill to take advantage of his motor that always runs hot. While he outworks opponents and makes his share of plays, that will be mitigated at the next level and more functional strength and hand technique is necessary for him to make an impact. Hill’s elite competitive demeanor is worth taking a chance on and he should be able to make an impact in a rotation."

He was endorsed by Scott Frost, his former coach and the AAC Coach of the Year in 2017. Frost also took UCF from winless to undefeated in 2 years. The year they went undeafeted, Hill was an important player for the team in the Bowl game win while registering a sack . The year the lost in their bowl game to break their winning streak, the new coach barely played him.

You have a coaching squad that replaced a virtual legendary coaching staff telling you that this kid has attitude/coachability issues. The previous coach reported no such issues. Perhaps he does maturity issues. But, I'm willing to give him and the Cowboys the benefit of the doubt here. He's JUST turned 21 on March 25th.

If there was ever a time to wait and see how a pick actually performs, this is it.

nice read

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the attitude issues come from a bunch of dominant personalities not coming together properly. Marinelli knows how to get these young hot heads under control and so does Garrett. Garrett's best asset is getting guys to buy in as people 1st then as players. Doesn't always work like in Irving or rolondo but those guys had 0 interest in football anyway.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Aaron Donald = future HOF player, dominant in college
Hill = barely got playing time at a near D2 school

I’ll contain my enthusiasm for now

Im not saying we should compare Hill to Donald. But near D2? They are the exact same level as Boise and I kinda think DLaw and LVE worked out.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think the attitude issues come from a bunch of dominant personalities not coming together properly. Marinelli knows how to get these young hot heads under control and so does Garrett. Garrett's best asset is getting guys to buy in as people 1st then as players. Doesn't always work like in Irving or rolondo but those guys had 0 interest in football anyway.

yes it is not valid to lump his personality issues with irving or gregory.
he has an attitude but he likes to play ball.

waldoputty

Reaction score
to the experts here, hill's jump scores were the best even if you include donald. so that means he has the most strength in his legs so he can penetrate the gaps the best with his first few steps.

now his shuttle score was the same as donald but his cone score were by far the worst (7.7 vs. 7.1 for donald). where does that hurt? both measure agility. which area of agility is his missing - balance?
in fact, his cone score was lower than our existing 3tech collins 7.7 v 7.5.

if it is balance, is it something that can be trained? or would we expect him to get through the line but knocked on the ground often? in what tape i saw, i did not see him on the ground much except when he was tackled...

from google, i got the primary reasons for the key tests:
1. shuttle - showcases a player's stop-start, change of direction and in-space explosiveness. test of speed, body control and the ability to change direction (agility). The ability to change speeds and get to a top speed quickly. so it seems his incredible explosiveness augmented his inferior agility (compared to other elite dl).
2. cone - is the change of direction workout. evaluate the agility, quickness and fluidity of movement of players by scouts, particularly for the NFL draft but also for collegiate recruiting. so this seems like more of an agility test than the shuttle. he was substantially worse than the others here. curious where this come into play the most.
3. vertical jump - lower body explosiveness - he was better than the other top dl here.
4. broad jump - explosiveness and balance - he scored basically as well as donald, the best here.
5. 10 yard split - we really should have the scores here for dl instead of the 40.

Last edited: