1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Texans Sign WR Randall Cobb

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by ShortRound131, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Kwyn

Kwyn Well-Known Member

1,221 Messages
    1,338 Likes Received
    this doesn’t really surprise me. Someone was going to pay.Cobb and as much as we liked him, the price was going to be steep. With Gallup and Cooper, this pretty much means we are likely to see a WR in round 3 or 4 unless we find a cheaper slot receiver in FA.

This must have been past two of the Texans worst off season plan ever. At least this part helps them a bit.

ShortRound131 likes this.
  2. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

992 Messages
    911 Likes Received
    Dez come on down? Lol

Honestly I thought Cobb had a good shot at being back with McCarthy but don't blame him running to those numbers when the Cowboys were probably offering 3 year 15 million at most. Had the financial terms been close he likely would have been back.

3. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

13,421 Messages
    11,487 Likes Received
    Too rich for my blood.

Unless we go to a base 3 wr *with Cobb*, I don't want to be paying my WR3 9mil/year.

I'm encouraged. Makes it a little more likely we see a lot of Pollard in the slot in the base offense.

Multirunthreat, here we come!

4. buybuydandavis

13,421 Messages
    11,487 Likes Received
    Lots of Pollard in the base.

I think Jerry has been in the shower contemplating a possession WR3 to move the chains on 3rd down.

Dreski likes this.
  5. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing Zone Supporter

6,588 Messages
    4,794 Likes Received
    You know what? Cobb at $9 million per year (I am shaking my head as I write that) and Dez and $2 million plus incentives - I’ll take Dez every single time.

I’m sure the Cowboys wanted Cobb back but you just don’t pay a 30-year old receiver $9 million per year on a 3-year deal with $18.75M guaranteed. That’s insane.

Kingofholland likes this.
  6. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing Zone Supporter

6,588 Messages
    4,794 Likes Received
    The $9M is bad enough but the $18.75M guaranteed is the kicker. It means that there’s no cutting him, he’s a Texan for at least two full seasons.

buybuydandavis likes this.
  7. buybuydandavis

13,421 Messages
    11,487 Likes Received
    I was unthrilled with Cobb at 5m, although I admit he did really come on in the 2nd half of the season.

Mo money for Cobb, mo comp pick for us!

Part of the bonus of letting players go a year early. Their next contract still gets us a decent comp pick.

8. Javier

Javier Active Member

252 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Hope he dont drop the contract ;)))

9. freddy0227

freddy0227 Well-Known Member

1,085 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Maybe we bringing Dez back ? Lol

10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

80,064 Messages
    54,754 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

Londonboy, ShortRound131 and JustChip like this.
  11. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

8,407 Messages
    3,277 Likes Received
    Cobb went from a one year deal to a legitimate three year deal. See what playing with Dak Prescott can do for a receiver. @CATCH17

12. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

4,702 Messages
    1,981 Likes Received
    Much easier to draft a WR when your QB is named Rodgers.

13. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

8,407 Messages
    3,277 Likes Received
    Nonsense

people like you give QBs too much credit for the success of the WR. Especially when said QBs is deemed great(Mahomes being the latest) when in reality every last QBs in history are only as good as the talent surrounding them. Every last one. See Steve Young in Tampa vs Steve young in San Francisco as prime example of this fact

A guy like Dak will be marginalized by media types because of the talent surrounding him , when in reality , Patrick Mahomes benefits from the talent around him just as much as Dak Prescott does. Even more so cause Mahomes has more talent around him

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  14. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

16,352 Messages
    19,873 Likes Received
    I won't be shocked if we draft a slot receiver to replace Cobb, although, either Cedrick Wilson or Devin Smith should suffice! ;)

15. Dreski

Dreski Well-Known Member

220 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    I’ve been thinking it’d be cool to see Pollard in the slot, motioning into the 2 back sets, or using him like Tavon, but idk how viable it would be! It’d be a way to have Zeke and Pollard out there at the same time.

It sucks to lose Cobb, but I still think we should focus on defense. Who knows what we will do, maybe we will get Tavon back, or maybe Cedrick Wilson wins a spot his 3rd year... Devin Street and that other receiver are still signed. We have a couple of options, not sure if they’d replace Cobb’s production though

buybuydandavis likes this.
  16. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

10,955 Messages
    5,974 Likes Received
    Ruggs at 17?

17. Hennessy_King

Hennessy_King Well-Known Member

9,532 Messages
    13,811 Likes Received
    This one stings.

18. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

26,652 Messages
    22,341 Likes Received
    That is just crazy money for Cobb.

Stupid Texans, gave up a legit stud WR for a bag of Doritos and then pay a 30 yr old slot guy almost $10 a year.

There is actually a worst GM in the league then Jerry.

19. JW82

JW82 JJ21

2,922 Messages
    5,151 Likes Received
    Hate to see him go. Very good player.
    But it would have made no sense to keep him. Ton of wr Depth in this class. Last year may have been a fluke that he finally stayed healthy. Wish him luck. Good move.

20. Dak_Attack_09

Dak_Attack_09 Well-Known Member

1,719 Messages
    1,455 Likes Received
    I rather draft a faster younger WR in the slot that can go outside with his deep speed.