1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Texans Sign WR Randall Cobb

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by ShortRound131, Mar 16, 2020.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

23,132 Messages
    15,700 Likes Received
    It's Jon'Vea Johnson time! ... If they can get those drops fixed.

Seriously, I would expect us to bring in a vet (possibly even Dez for cheap), but I'm excited to see Johnson's development.

Kaiser likes this.
  2. JayFord

JayFord Well-Known Member

5,355 Messages
    8,706 Likes Received
    This sucks....any receiver who gets 800+ yards being the third option is LEGIT!!!

Congrats to Cobb though.....you’ll be missed

Kaiser likes this.
  3. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

4,702 Messages
    1,981 Likes Received
    There's truth to elite QB making WR looking good. Those QBs are HOFers. Look at all the WRs that left NE and GB. What have they done? Yes, there are decent/good QBs who NEED good WRs. Players such as Dak is easy example. Young example is a poor one. Young was a running QB in Tampa Bay who finally understood to be successful he needed to learn art of passing. That's when he became great.

Dion Branch anyone?
    Jordy Nelson?
    James Jones?
    Even Randell Cobbs.

None of them became number #1 WR anywhere else.

4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

96,801 Messages
    23,157 Likes Received
    While I'm not a big advocate of Bryant possible return to Dallas, does anyone feel he will now be signed now that Cobb has left?

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,939 Messages
    25,166 Likes Received
    Its a deep draft and I think they would have drafted a WR for sure, but I think Cobb's replace is someone from the McCarthy Mafia (TM) that played for him before. I would have gone 6MM per year for Cobb but it sounds like they clearly had someone else in mind and had no problem letting him walk. Plus they love those comp picks and have to lose players to offset the guys they are planning on signing.

Rockport likes this.
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

14,939 Messages
    25,166 Likes Received
    There was a lot of buzz around him early in camp. I only went to Oxnard one day but Johnson was one of those guys that was noticeably faster on the field than most of the other WRs in practice.

7. LifetimeBoysFan

LifetimeBoysFan Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    I’m more shocked at the choice to replace Hopkins with Cobb than I am with Cobb moving on. I was not completely convinced he would be back for a team friendly deal just because MM was the coach and the success he had here last year. 9M a year is a little rich for my liking. Especially with the draft as loaded as it is. Younger and cheaper seems like the best plan anyhow.

8. SeanLee50

SeanLee50 Well-Known Member

15,961 Messages
    25,735 Likes Received
    Cobb likely would’ve been back had Houston made him an offer he could not refuse

9. Swagger

Swagger Well-Known Member

1,288 Messages
    1,290 Likes Received
    9 million a season. Hilarious. The guy is well past it. Wowsers Texans :laugh:

10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

96,801 Messages
    23,157 Likes Received
    Houston HC\GM Bill O’Brien is not making Texan fans happy with his questionable moves. You let Hopkins, one of the best WR in the game go for David Johnson? and now pay that kind of money to Cobb who while I think is good is no where close to what Hopkins is and what he means to their offense.

11. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

14,567 Messages
    5,727 Likes Received
    The slot guy isn’t the 3rd option just because he’s not a starting WR outside. Often he is the #1 or #2 based on play design and having the #3 CB on him. Slot guy is a chain mover, especially if your TE is slow.
    Agree with others though. I wanted him back simply because he’s a known commodity, but he’s 30 years old; no way I’m going from 5 million a year to almost 10 for a guy on the downside.

12. Wapp5200

Wapp5200 Member

71 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    That stinks, I like Cobb

13. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

23,132 Messages
    15,700 Likes Received
    It also seemed clear that his drops were the result of concentration issues. Fast guys like to look for the home run before securing the ball sometimes. Hopefully, he'll get some good coaching to overcome that.

14. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

8,407 Messages
    3,277 Likes Received
    Good comedy

Jordy was a stud. Would have been a stud where ever he played. Jordy > Dez all day
    Cobb was good with Dak. Better than he had been with Rodgers since 2015
    Jones was never a 1(neither was Cobb)

15. Duane

Duane Well-Known Member

7,000 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    I liked Cobb while he was here but this WR class is stacked, and we still have Gallop. So to me this is a smart move by the team.

16. ondaedg

ondaedg Well-Known Member

1,581 Messages
    1,778 Likes Received
    Congrats Randall! He helped us but man did he make a coneback!

Rockdoc and SeanLee50 like this.
  17. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

13,291 Messages
    13,752 Likes Received
    FWIW, ESPN giving the Texans a D plus for what they gave Cobb

18. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

4,702 Messages
    1,981 Likes Received
    Ok you can keep your HOF WR and I'll take my HOF QB to start our teams.