Texas and OU have expressed interest in joining SEC

Hardline

Reaction score
Now that the Big 12 grant of rights is less than four years from expiration — and the league’s television partners, ESPN and FOX, declined to engage in preemptive contract negotiations to extend those deals — the first new realignment bombshell dropped on Wednesday during SEC Media Days with the Houston Chronicle reporting that the Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners have reached out to the SEC to express interest.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...oklahoma-sooners-sec-interest-texas-am-aggies

Hardline

Reaction score
Texas A&M already butt hurt at the thought of the Longhorns joining the SEC.

As a die hard Horns fan. I don't know how I feel about this.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score

That is a huge advantage for recruiting. Of course they aren’t happy that they no longer get to pitch only Texas team to provide SEC football. This sucks for the Big 12. I get it but sucks. I don’t feel great about it.

This has super league/brexit written all over it. Not trying to make this political stall. It is the big boys leaving. I can’t help to think that overall we all lose.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I get the revenue side

But given the eventual playoff expansion and the total that huge conferences and cable footprints are no longer necessary, this seems counterintuitive

I think the 12 team playoff format was automatic bids to the 6th highest-ranked conference champions--lately that has been the P5 and AAC (American Athletic)--which many consider a "P5/6" anyway.

Really, with the 12 team tourney, the "P5" goes away and it's just whoever finishes ranked highest.
It seems it would be easier for OU or Texas t make it if they stayed put.....but money drives it

Boise was wanting to join the AAC in all sports but they only want them in football.
I guess maybe the Big 12 could try to lure them and BYU....or maybe steal a few teams the AAC.
Hard to say.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not sure I fully buy this. Most likely this is just to negotiate advantages into any Big 12 extensions.

OU is basically set right now for a yearly trip to the CFP as it moves to 12 teams.
UT if they stop sucking, would be set for same.
And once they get that level they can recruit nationally, frankly easier than the vast majority of the SEC teams.

OU is also tied legislatively to OKST legally.
And of ocurtse the Longhorn channel would be DOA in the SEC.
The rights of both are bound to the B12 through 2024 but here we are now with CFB expansion back on the talk tracks.

uvaballa

Reaction score

Man Texas may never win a conference championship if they did that.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I would like to see the weak teams kicked out of the SEC and have it consist solely of:

Texas
OU
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Tennessee
Georgia
Mississippi State
TAMU
Arkansas

Would be Super League brutal.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Im all for this hands down. We keep OU, get A&M and Arkansas rivalries back. Plus, even though at 1st it would be brutal, who wouldnt love to see us play Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida etc, every year or every other year? TCU, Tech, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas St. Iowa St. has always been so blah......And personally, as my Wife is a WVU fan, and I like to root for them as well when not playing TX, it would make things way easier for me to NOT have them in the same conference.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Im all for this hands down. We keep OU, get A&M and Arkansas rivalries back. Plus, even though at 1st it would be brutal, who wouldnt love to see us play Bama, LSU, Auburn, Florida etc, every year or every other year? TCU, Tech, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas St. Iowa St. has always been so blah......And personally, as my Wife is a WVU fan, and I like to root for them as well when not playing TX, it would make things way easier for me to NOT have them in the same conference.

Iimagine it would be a conference of Texas, Oklahoma, A&M and Arkansas or maybe LSU. That means that we would play Alabama every 4 years. Every division needs a dog to kick, so that would be the Hogs. I would imagaine OK State would also look to join the SEC or maybe the Big 10...

Ghost12

Reaction score
If this happens, I bet Kansas goes to the Big 10. Yeah they are among the worst in football, but would bring a lot of basketball cred with them. The perennially good-but-not-great Okie State might slide into the Big 10 too.

Baylor would be in a strange spot. Having just won a championship, I gotta think someone would want them. Pac 12 would make sense IMHO. Not sure who else the Pac 12 might be interested in. BYU could make sense IMHO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Iimagine it would be a conference of Texas, Oklahoma, A&M and Arkansas or maybe LSU. That means that we would play Alabama every 4 years. Every division needs a dog to kick, so that would be the Hogs. I would imagaine OK State would also look to join the SEC or maybe the Big 10...
SEC has no need to expand beyond where they are, but a package that included Texas might do it.
But if they did, it would be two teams to make it an even 16.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would like to see the weak teams kicked out of the SEC and have it consist solely of:

Texas
OU
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Florida
Tennessee
Georgia
Mississippi State
TAMU
Arkansas

Would be Super League brutal.
You are only thinking football

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wouldnt it be worth it in the long run if WVU winds up in the ACC? Closer road games, You get the pitt,syracuse,va tech,louisville rivalries back...Miami, Florida St., Duke, UNC
Also, there are rumblings that Notre Dame (who is already a member in the other sports) might finally join the ACC.
They supposedly liked how it went last year as a football member.

Add WVU and you have a well-rounded 16 team league.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Also, there are rumblings that Notre Dame (who is already a member in the other sports) might finally join the ACC.
They supposedly liked how it went last year as a football member.

Add WVU and you have a well-rounded 16 team league.
Do you think WVU fits with the ACC?

I guess the Big12 is going away now.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Do you think WVU fits with the ACC?

I guess the Big12 is going away now.
No, not really.

Our WVU, Cowboy fan brother doesn't like it when I say it (and I get why) but they are a horrible fit academically.
The ACC is the highest ranked P5 conference academically....if you average all the programs.

They did look the other way with Louisville though.
I have ECU relatives that used to throw the ACC out there as an option. I hated to break the news that the odds were zero.
Not so with WVU. Lousiville got in. WVU has a ton of old rivals there and has a well-rounded athletic program and rabid fan base.

Look, I have relatives from WV, so I don't want to be snotty. But I do think that's how the ACC admin and ADs will think. Tough hurdle academically, but not impossible
Was just throwing it out there.

Last edited: