Texas Tech on brink of history

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This the first Texas men’s basketball team to play for the National Championship since Houston in 1984.

Phi Slamma Jamma with Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler thought by many the greatest team to never win a championship going to 3 consecutive Final Fours losing the title game in 1983 which is considered one of the greatest upsets ever against 11th seeded North Carolina St and again in 1984 Georgetowns Patrick Ewing team.

Texas Longhorns were last Texas team to even make the Final Four in 2003 losing to eventual champion Syracuse in semifinals.

The only team from Texas to win the National championship is Texas Western now University of Texas at El Paso( UTEP) in 1966 led by HC Don Haskins who started the first all black lineup in America knocking off #1 Kentucky and infamous HC Adolf Rupp.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I can't believe Owens not only got up but returned to the game. His ankle ligaments must be made of rubber.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Just heard this would be TTU first National Championship in a mens team sport. Definitely a huge game for the school. If they were playing any other team I would be rooting for them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I would be rooting for TX Tech anyway but UVA doesn't even belong in the final game. The way they were protected by the refs in the final seconds of the game is disgusting, first missing a double dribble call and then calling a foul at the buzzer on a 3-pt. shot. The refs decided that game so I'm not in favor of UVA even being in the championship game. But like I said, I'd be rooting for the Red Raiders anyway because that's been my team all tournament long.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Still blows my mind that Texas, which has really strong high school basketball, has no national championships in the modern era (and only one..ever).....and almost no final 4 representation.

Huge feather in Tech's cap if they pull this off.
I have plenty of friends that graduated from TT, UT, TAM and TCU.
It's rare that Tech gets such massive bragging rights. Winning the NCAA basketball championship would be HUGE.
:muttley:

Also, as good as Virginia basketball has been historically, I think many don't realize that this too is their first trip tot the title game.

We get a new champion tonight for a change, either way

DFWJC

Reaction score
A Tech win would also be a major breakthrough for the Big 12.

As good as that league is in basketball from top to bottom--and that is very good-- the "top" has been skewed by Kansas.
In fact, other than Kansas, no other current team in the Big 12 has won a national title in basketball in more than 70 years...or the modern era.

Virginia, on the other hand, would be an incredible SIXTH different program to win a basketball national title from the current ACC in fairly recent times. And several have done it multiple times.
So even though Virginia never won one, it's an argument to pull for Texas Tech if a viewer has no skin in the game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just heard this would be TTU first National Championship in a mens team sport. Definitely a huge game for the school. If they were playing any other team I would be rooting for them.
Yep
Biggest day in school history. They closed all classes today.

bb721

Reaction score
I saw an article today about a guy who back in November bet $1500 on Texas Tech to win the NCAA Championship at 200 to 1 odds. He stands to possibly make $300,000 tonight if they win. Probably biting his nails about now.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I saw an article today about a guy who back in November bet $1500 on Texas Tech to win the NCAA Championship at 200 to 1 odds. He stands to possibly make $300,000 tonight if they win.
Probably biting his nails about now.

I'll bet he is. LOL