That Time Rookie Dak Prescott Faced Multi-MVP Aaron Rodgers - and You Didn't See It

T-RO

Reaction score
Often history gets mis-remembered...or forgotten. So let's review the 2016 Divisional Cowboys-Packer Playoff game, shall we?

I like to aim for a scientific, objective approach, though with football it's difficult, if not imposible. We're all humans and football doesn't occur in a lab room. But can we all agree to aim the arrow towards truth? I will bite your leg off if it's obvious you aren't trying.

Cowboys versus Pack...In particular...Dak versus Aaron, January 16, 2017. Are you ready?

Let' start with the little stuff:
Aaron Rodgers: 2 carries, 16 yards
Dak Prescott: 2 carries, 13 yards

More in a bit...

T-RO

Reaction score
Let's review the big picture of the game:

The Pack built up a big lead...leading 28-10 at the end of the third quarter. Dallas roared all the way back to tie the game with 35 seconds left.

Aaron Rodgers team: 31 points
Dak Prescott's team: 31 points

:35 seconds left.

Here's where "science" and "data" and "truth" must kick in, if we are aiming the arrow at truth. Upon the conclusion of the Cowboy's drive to tie the score each team had enjoyed nine possessions.
Dallas: Nine possessions, 31 points.
Packers: Nine possessions, 31 points.

Rodgers and the Pack won the game during an extra possession the Cowboys didn't enjoy. Same thing happens in numerous games, including historic Chiefs-Bills playoff game 16 months ago. Is what it is. Games don't always ensure a square deal. Sports and life aren't fair, but anyone interested in truth should try to be.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
If your science has to revert to data that's 7 years old then it could be construed as out of date?
Is Galileo's discovery of heliocentrism, in the mid 1600's "out of date"? Is Newton's discovery of gravity in 1665 less relevant today?

Of course we aren't engaging in science like that here. We are looking at a case study. Dak Prescott vs. Aaron Rogers, 2016. Piecing the pieces together as best we can.

Can we really say one was better? (Buckle up)

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Is Galileo's discovery of heliocentrism, in the mid 1600's "out of date"? Is Newton's discovery of gravity in 1665 less relevant today?

Of course we aren't engaging in science like that here. We are looking at a case study. Dak Prescott vs. Aaron Rogers, 2016. Piecing the pieces together as best we can.

Can we really say one was better? (Buckle up)
That's using statistics without analysis. You give that one game 7 years ago, I give you 49ers in 2021 and 49ers 2022. Now tell me which is most relevant.

I agree that the final outcome isnt the determining factor, however, the eye test also indicates that Dak lost composure in both games (4 drives, though granted time was running out in two of them). I dont know where you were going with the Mahomes/Allen shoot out, Mahomes had the last bullet.

T-RO

Reaction score
That's using statistics without analysis. You give that one game 7 years ago, I give you 49ers in 2021 and 49ers 2022. Now tell me which is most relevant.

I agree that the final outcome isnt the determining factor, however, the eye test also indicates that Dak lost composure in both games (4 drives, though granted time was running out in two of them). I dont know where you were going with the Mahomes/Allen shoot out, Mahomes had the last bullet.
Read the title:
This thread is about one single game. January 16, 2017. That's it. That's all. That's our Soup du jour. Single games don't prove much, but they do shed some light.

If you want to discuss other games...serve a different soup...start a different thread.

T-RO

Reaction score
Still aiming our arrow towards the target of truth, realizing a single playoff game won't tell us ultimate answers, but will leak some precious illumination on facts...let's continue.

If we capture the moment (as scientists do when making records) at :35 where each team and QB had equal opportunity... here is what we find:

Dallas/Dak Prescott: 9 possessions 31 points
Green Bay/Rodgers: 9 possessions, 31 points

And...their comparative passing performance...recorded for all the world:

Aaron, the MVP: 26/39 303 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT
Dak, the rookie: 24/38 302 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT

In QBR...Dak slightly wins this, though I think parsing things at such fine slices is meaningless and trivial

...but there's more.

T-RO

Reaction score
I dont know where you were going with the Mahomes/Allen shoot out, Mahomes had the last bullet.
Yes, yes, of course Mahomes got to fire the last bullet. You are missing the important part.

The more important, perhaps egregious part: The game (fates, league, luck, refs, whatever) provided Mahomes an extra bullet. Allen never even had a chance to touch the ball in Overtime. Mahomes won as he got an extra bullet Allen wasn't afforded.

And you are proving the point of my thread title:
That Time Rookie Dak Prescott Faced Multi-MVP Aaron Rodgers - and You Didn't See It

Qcard

Reaction score
Watching Dak from back then and watching Dak now is like watching two completely different things. In 2016 we knew what we had and game planned accordingly. Then we paid him 40 million bucks and forgot what he is.
Fake news......void of Facts!

Dakota Prescott is statically better than he was in 2016......did Cowboys not Win a playoff game 2022 unlike 2016??

T-RO

Reaction score
Again, please, at least for 24 hours in this thread, let's talk only the 2016 season and the playoff game vs. Pack.

And let's focus on becoming better thinkers rather than on protecting our territory...winning some grand debate.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Fake news......void of Facts!

Dakota Prescott is statically better than he was in 2016......did Cowboys not Win a playoff game 2022 unlike 2016??
People have such revisionist history. His naysayers said he wasn’t very good and was a bus driver who can’t pass for over 200 yards. Now they’ve changed the narrative and those 200 yard days were his best years lol.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Often history gets mis-remembered...or forgotten. So let's review the 2016 Divisional Cowboys-Packer Playoff game, shall we?

I like to aim for a scientific, objective approach, though with football it's difficult, if not imposible. We're all humans and football doesn't occur in a lab room. But can we all agree to aim the arrow towards truth? I will bite your leg off if it's obvious you aren't trying.

Cowboys versus Pack...In particular...Dak versus Aaron, January 16, 2017. Are you ready?

Let' start with the little stuff:
Aaron Rodgers: 2 carries, 16 yards
Dak Prescott: 2 carries, 13 yards

More in a bit...
All came down to almost 1 play cornerback, did not get deep enough . and then the team went into disarray, Elliott suspension. The hold out. Losing are starting center wide receiver, tight end. Injuries. We finally looks like we’re back on track since then people think it’s easy just being one dimensional, they forget it takes a team.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Watching Dak from back then and watching Dak now is like watching two completely different things. In 2016 we knew what we had and game planned accordingly. Then we paid him 40 million bucks and forgot what he is.
They changed the style that he was best at . Methodical dink dunk move the football. No let’s open it up and become the Kansas City Chiefs and then we did that and started to lose even though we were passing for 400 yards plus.