The “playbook being outdated” is lazy

Haimerej

Reaction score
I must not can read, been reading the playbook was from the 90's, my bad. Also happened to be at most of the battles between the boys and niners in the 90's to see who was SB bound with my brother being on the niners.

Don't believe everything you read. Especially if it's on a fan forum. Cool about your brother, even if he was a 49er.

Common Sense

Reaction score
The Rams run a version of the West Coast Offense. It is more similar to what Dallas ran under Callahan than what they’ve been running the last few years.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ive seen everyone on here and radio/internet guys keep saying the playbook is outdated.

Nate Newton, who knows more than anyone of us on here said we run 95% of the same plays post snap as the Rams.

The difference and what we’d like to see changed is the presnap misdirection that causes defenses to hesitate which opens up holes in the run game and pass game.

I’ve said forever that most NFL teams are running about the same playbook since there no true west coast or only air Coryell schemes anymore.

As for playbooks; it's not always what's in the playbook, but how it is implemented.

What separates is the timing of the calls. The perfect example is the play vs the Eagles Cooper wanted changed. We didn’t put in a new play in the huddle, we just audibled to one that already existed.

Whoever the new playcaller is, they need to have the openness to change and add some presnap motion.

But they don’t have to throw out the entire playbook.
I will say this; I can never recall the excuse of poor play calling and overall coaching used to cover all sins as much as I have these past 2-3 years.
There are outliers, but in general, the players were held responsible for their own play much more before then than they are now.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I want defenses not sure if it is going to be a run or pass play! Other than maybe one series a game the offense was always predictable.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I don’t really understand why we’re talking about “the playbook” like it’s this massive reference book set in stone and it’s just a matter of flipping to the right page? For the most part a playbook is just a series of interchangeable concepts and principles, formations, route trees, and blocking schemes. They work more like Lego pieces than a giant collection of off-the-shelf plays. It is as much a philosophy as anything else, and it’s clear that Linehan’s philosophy was outdated.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny, only the 90's playbook work with the 90's players and coaches not the 2018 versions.

Emmitt had the luxury of having the Pass set up his runs as Aikman along with Irvin,Harper, could strike at will.....Poor Zeke does not have this luxury hence the very small play book and the same old same old 1st down runs etc etc....depending on the quality of your musical instrument you will hear the music accordingly.....same old same old.....to get to 3rd and short to accommodate our QB short-comings....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Emmitt had the luxury of having the Pass set up his runs as Aikman along with Irvin,Harper, could strike at will.....Poor Zeke does not have this luxury hence the very small play book and the same old same old 1st down runs etc etc....depending on the quality of your musical instrument you will hear the music accordingly.....same old same old.....to get to 3rd and short to accommodate our QB short-comings....
Those 90s teams had nice balance, but were definitely run first.

But you have a point to some degree….It's also why a RB like Murray--who is nowhere near as good as Zeke--could lead the NFL by a mile in rushing in 2014. Can't begin to imagine what those offenses--any of them-- would've been like with Zeke

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those 90s teams had nice balance, but were definitely run first.

But you have a point to some degree….It's also why a RB like Murray--who is nowhere near as good as Zeke--could lead the NFL by a mile in rushing in 2014. Can't begin to imagine what those offenses--any of them-- would've been like with Zeke

Zeke is a unique talent and your right pondering what else the Zeke man could do if he had a Aikman at QB....mama mia...heck we wouldn't even need a defense who would stop us?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Zeke is a unique talent and your right pondering what else the Zeke man could do if he had a Aikman at QB....mama mia...heck we wouldn't even need a defense who would stop us?
Zeke in any year from 2006-2014 would've made a huge difference as well.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ive seen everyone on here and radio/internet guys keep saying the playbook is outdated.

Nate Newton, who knows more than anyone of us on here said we run 95% of the same plays post snap as the Rams.

The difference and what we’d like to see changed is the presnap misdirection that causes defenses to hesitate which opens up holes in the run game and pass game.

I’ve said forever that most NFL teams are running about the same playbook since there no true west coast or only air Coryell schemes anymore.

What separates is the timing of the calls. The perfect example is the play vs the Eagles Cooper wanted changed. We didn’t put in a new play in the huddle, we just audibled to one that already existed.

Whoever the new playcaller is, they need to have the openness to change and add some presnap motion.

LOL...…...that's the whole point. Disguising the plays is what we DONT do.

But its more then motion. If you don't understand these nuances and just think every team is floating out the same playbook, then there is no sense in having a discussion.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Ehhh as far as routes go I know for a fact theirs are quite a bit different than ours. A lot of the time Goff only has one read essentially because all of the routes converge in the same area making things significantly easier for Goff.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Sorry, I don’t agree with the initial assertion that we are running 95% the same plays as the Rams. I watched all Dallas games and have seen the Rams 4-5 times. They are not the same plays with the same routes. I 100% agree that the pre snap formations and misdirections need huge changes.

Irony is that the person calling all the playbooks the same is the one being lazy.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

The playbook being outdated, or the plays being to simplistic, are just blanket statements people make whenever they want to lay the blame on the coaching. That's not to say that coaching and play calling here don't deserve any blame, but when people don't get into the details of whats wrong with them, then they probably don't have anything other than emotions to tell them that the play calling is the problem.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Didn't Nate get busted with like 75 Lbs of crazy cabbage in his trunk... in his trunk... think about that level of intelligence for just a moment.
And he even knows whats going on,,, Ice Cube logic t=right here

That's poisoning the well right there. Where one tries to discredit anything coming from Nate, because of one mistake he did in the past. That seems to be a mistake to think that Nate doesn't know football because of this.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yep, like the one in Philadelphia in the 2nd game of 2015. The one he audibled to and the backer blitzed and broke his collar bone.

Most definitely Romo was much, much better because of his experience his last years. That should be true of any QB and will be with Dak as well.
One little broken collar bone. Notice now you can’t land on a QB like that anymore.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
That's poisoning the well right there. Where one tries to discredit anything coming from Nate, because of one mistake he did in the past. That seems to be a mistake to think that Nate doesn't know football because of this.
True to an extent, but why bother investing in it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
All I saw last week was HB dive and HB power over and over.

It was effective because of the misdirection but the play itself wasn’t fancy.

The play action is the same play we have.

The best way to think of the difference in the playbook is look at it as a menu. Our playcaller prefers the fish section (HB dive) no matter what the defense calls.

The Rams have that same fish section in their menu but if defenses are preparing for it, they with call from the steak category or make it look like a steak before calling the fish.

But we have all the same entrees the Rams do. We just haven’t utilized them and they have better sides (presnap motion).

Our problem is we do none of that and on top of that we play into our tendencies.

It’s been that way for a long time and the coach has never got it fixed.

There are many that have said our reDzone route combinations are garbage too.

All of our players, media, and fans aren’t making this stuff up. The Cowboys coaches do this team no favor and they aren’t calling game like other coaches regardless of how similar the play design is.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I agree to an extent with original poster. Even with a predictable offense we still score points. Alot of the plays are the same, but its just about being aggressive/conservative. Its about adjusting to what the defense is doing, and about not being predictable.

I would love to see a % on the following. When we have a first down incompletion. The amount of times we run the ball on 2nd and 10. It has to be 90% or above. It always happens and its far too predictable. If i can see it and you can the defense sure as hell knows its coming.