The 1998 NFL Draft: A Look Back at the Epic Ryan Leaf Bust

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    4,612 Likes Received
    I have wondered if Leaf could have had a better chance to succeed if they had done things differently. What if he hadn't been drafted in the first round with the expectations that he could save a franchise? What if he had been selected in the third round and then that team had had him understudy for a year behind a veteran QB in the twilight of his career. Maybe it would have been Leaf the chance to mature and then be a very good quarterback.

ShortRound131 and PA Cowboy Fan like this.
  2. Pape

Pape Well-Known Member

572 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Leaf showed up at the combine out of shape... Weighed in at 261 ... Dude would have flamed out anywhere he went

Furboy and John813 like this.
  3. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

10,167 Messages
    11,300 Likes Received
    He was just too arrogant to succeed in the NFL.

Furboy and Pape like this.
  4. GenoT

GenoT Well-Known Member

3,224 Messages
    4,860 Likes Received
    Best to have put your shovel down than to have dug this turd back up.

Pape likes this.
  5. sean10mm

sean10mm Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    1,719 Likes Received
    Leaf really was just an incredible trainwreck of a human being. When he left the NFL he burglarized people's houses to steal painkillers, multiple times. The best that can be said of him is that he MIGHT have gone straight For Real This Time after he got out of jail in 2014.

I think he had ZERO chance of being anything but a total trainwreck. Being #2 overall and going to a terrible organization probably accelerated things some, but there was only one way it was going to end regardless.

6. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

5,831 Messages
    10,898 Likes Received
    He wasn't the first and he won't be the last

7. Toomany10pins

Toomany10pins Well-Known Member

359 Messages
    303 Likes Received
    As (WSU) being a rival of the school I root for (UW), you could tell a mile away this was coming. He was an arrogant mental midget in his college days.

Million dollar talent, 10 cent head.

The guy has and had a lot of issues in his life, and most are self inflicted, and he would tell you that.

He’s learned life the hard way, again, self inflicted.

Johnny23 likes this.
  8. Johnny23

Johnny23 Well-Known Member

1,380 Messages
    1,005 Likes Received
    I live in Cougar Country in The Tri-Cities and I totally agree. That season in 1997 was insane with everything he accomplished but there was more than enough stories of him being a piece of trash. The red flags were always there for him flaming out.

9. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

6,142 Messages
    5,241 Likes Received
    A story that I heard is the Colts asked Manning and Leaf this same question: What are you going to do after we draft you? Manning response was I am going to get the playbook and read up on it and if you don’t pick me, I will beat you for the next 15 years. Leaf response is I will probably take a couple of my buddies to Hawaii and relax before the upcoming season. Now I am paraphrasing but I think you get the idea.

csirl, Reverend Conehead and Techsass like this.