The 2 concepts that elevated the Patriots pass defense into a league of its own

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Mike Nolan plays a lot of Cover 1. But you do need the personnel to play it. I don't think he had that in Atlanta.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Haha Clinton Dix plays cover 1.
He isnt a SS. Dix is probably one of the last Safeties in the NFL you want playing SS in Cover 1.

If they are going to play one of the worst tackling Safeties in the NFL at SS, they deserve to lose. Especially in Cover 1

Reactions: BAT

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He isnt a SS. Dix is probably one of the last Safeties in the NFL you want playing SS in Cover 1.

If they are going to play one of the worst tackling Safeties in the NFL at SS, they deserve to lose. Especially in Cover 1

Cover 1 safeties are not usually SS. They are mostly in deep coverage. Hence the word "cover one."

Haha played as a cover 1 safety in Chicago.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cover 1 safeties are not usually SS. They are mostly in deep coverage. Hence the word "cover one."

Haha played as a cover 1 safety in Chicago.
The deep Safety in a cover 1 is usually the FS. SS plays closer to the line. Cover 1 S responsibilities are fairly traditional as far as S plays go, with the expectation that your FS probably has more ground to cover on the back end.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The deep Safety in a cover 1 is usually the FS. SS plays closer to the line. Cover 1 S responsibilities are fairly traditional as far as S plays go, with the expectation that your FS probably has more ground to cover on the back end.

Clinton Dix is a true FS. I think he's capable of filling in that spot. I also think Chido might be moved to SS. I'm not too worried about our safeties. We need more corners to play press. Give it another year and I think we might have the pieces ready to play the defense Nolan wants.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clinton Dix is a true FS. I think he's capable of filling in that spot. I also think Chido might be moved to SS. I'm not too worried about our safeties. We need more corners to play press. Give it another year and I think we might have the pieces ready to play the defense Nolan wants.
I think there is a good chance you see Chido playing subpackages at a S spot. I think Woods will probably be your SS. I dont think he is perfect fit there, but I think in coverage he could do well with the SS's coverage responsibilities in a Cover 1. He played alot slot in Dime as a rookie and man covered TE's. I think his skill set in coverage could be transferable to a cover 1 SS. At least short term.

Dix at FS in a Cover 1 is really where you want him. He has moved around from team to team because he is not a good run defender. In fact he is very poor. But he has consistently been strong in coverage throughout his career.

Hopefully both Diggs and Robinson pan out. But project to be good press man CB's

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Dallas played a lot of cover 1 in 2019.

You need speed on the back side of cover 1 to shrink those deep passing lanes. The Pats rarely put Devin McCourty up near the LOS. If you can take away the deep balls, clogging the middle actually works. So that 86 yard TD Heath gave up against the Jets would have never happened against the Pats.

That speed at cover 1 FS is why I've always said A.Brown would make a better safety than X.Woods.

So the difference between Dallas and the Pats (besides the speed at FS) is...the Pat's SS safety will follow the player going in motion in a three wide set, where Dallas made their safeties play a specific side.

P.S. Our coaching staff was dumb.

Reactions: BAT