CFZ The additions of Mazi/Overshown are all about fixing the run & read option

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Mazi Smith was a two gap DT at Michigan where his main responsibility was to take on blockers, read/react and make plays against the run. He was athletic enough to not only makes plays within the interior, but also on the outside. He has the ability to get push in the pocket and take away the ability for QB's to move up in the pocket. His play can have a positive affect on the entire defense, from keeping our linebackers clean and even helping out our pass rush. Probably be used more as a run player earl on.

Think of a bigger/faster version of Donovan Wilson with DeMarvion Overshown, they have similar skill sets. When they see the play, they both fly to the football. I have heard one of Overshown's best attributes is his ability to effectively spy these mobile QB's. When you look in our division, we have several read option QB's to we have to face, he will be part of the solution to do a better job in this area, in which they struggled badly with last season. He also will help with covering all these backs and take away that hidden yardage.

The goal is to become better on the early downs, so we can force teams to deal with our pass rush. I feel these 2 additions, have the potential to do just that. Key is keeping our linebackers clean as we have several good run and chase backers that struggle taking on blockers.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wanna some hear something interesting..........I decided to take a peek at MM's 2010 roster with the Packers, the same year he won the Super Bowl. It was the first year he had a fullback and NT. They drafted B J Raji in 2009 and started Korey Hall at FB. So what happened last week.....we drafted our first NT since 1991 and signed FA fullback.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/lineups.htm

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Mazi Smith was a two gap DT at Michigan where his main responsibility was to take on blockers, read/react and make plays against the run. He was athletic enough to not only makes plays within the interior, but also on the outside. He has the ability to get push in the pocket and take away the ability for QB's to move up in the pocket. His play can have a positive affect on the entire defense, from keeping our linebackers clean and even helping out our pass rush. Probably be used more as a run player earl on.
The thing about this kid's mindset is he was never really concerned with sacks........just playing the run and doing the dirty work of the position ( keeping his Lbers clean). I've said it takes a humbling attitude to play NT coz the total impact won't show up in the stats

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The thing about this kid's mindset is he was never really concerned with sacks........just playing the run and doing the dirty work of the position ( keeping his Lbers clean). I've said it takes a humbling attitude to play NT coz the total impact won't show up in the stats
Let's hope the coaches can get more tackles for loss out of him, any pass rush is a bonus. Liked Benton from Wisconsin more, but Mazi has the higher upside. If this defense can solve the early downs, there is no reason to think they cannot be one of the best units in the entire league. I'm more worried about the offense at this juncture.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
You build from the trenches out— and after addressing OL last year, adding a blue chip DT is a big win.

Not only does his presence immediately impact the front 7 in a positive way— he saves snaps for Hankin and takes them away from Galliomore.

Some players excel with limited snaps, and maybe this maximizes the impact of guys like Gholston and Gallimore by increasing the amount of quality snaps they contribute

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Let's hope the coaches can get more tackles for loss out of him, any pass rush is a bonus. Liked Benton from Wisconsin more, but Mazi has the higher upside. If this defense can solve the early downs, there is no reason to think they cannot be one of the best units in the entire league. I'm more worried about the offense at this juncture.
This is one of the reasons I love the pick. He did well at sticking to his assignment and not freelancing like you see from many other collegiate linemen. This is the kind of guy that you can count on to keep our athletic linebackers clean, which allows free runs to ball carriers, which leads to longer second and third downs, which leads to creating chaos with the pass rush.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Mazi was in a 4 point stance at Michigan, so pass rush wasn't what they wanted from him schematically. I see the draft as moves to simply get bigger, stronger and faster in the front 7. There would be dropoff in the rotation once the starter needed a break on the DL, so adding Mazi n Fehoko helps there. Also, Mazi can play 3T. I see Mazi as a Carlos Watkins replacement role wise, so look for #58 to get moved around to dominate weaklink iOL. Fehoko is another run stopper at DE to go with DLaw n Golston.

Overshown can be a good QB spy, it's funny ppl compare him to Dono, and Dono was a Hurts spy one game if I recall correctly. When you look at all the WILBs (Clark, Cox, Harper, Overshown) I feel they all can spy a QB because they're fast **, so I look at this pick as a versatility n mentality pick. The front 7 is now complete.

Oh yeah, don't forget the Defense is getting built to whoop the 49ers too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wanna some hear something interesting..........I decided to take a peek at MM's 2010 roster with the Packers, the same year he won the Super Bowl. It was the first year he had a fullback and NT. They drafted B J Raji in 2009 and started Korey Hall at FB. So what happened last week.....we drafted our first NT since 1991 and signed FA fullback.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/lineups.htm
I don’t know about the FA fullback but I do think they are going to try to get creative with Schoonmaker in a similar role.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I love the pick. He did well at sticking to his assignment and not freelancing like you see from many other collegiate linemen. This is the kind of guy that you can count on to keep our athletic linebackers clean, which allows free runs to ball carriers, which leads to longer second and third downs, which leads to creating chaos with the pass rush.
If they can solve the early run downs, the sky is the limit for this defense.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
You're right about this. To find victories in performing non-glorious tasks is extremely commendable. I'm glad he's playing alongside the likes of Micah who I'm positive will make sure his (Mazi's) hard work will not go unrecognized.

As I'm trying to warm-up to this selection, this kid is making it easy to do. Very engaging in his interviews, has expressed awareness of the expectations and appears to embrace it, and I'm slightly sentimental, so seeing his face when he saw his jersey hanging between D-Law's and Armstrong's locker was heartwarming. O.k...darn it...I like him.

A note for Mazi's D-line compadres. I'm sensing that if you really want to get Mazi rile up during a game, all you have to do is say, "Hey Maz, did your hear what that guy said about your Mama?"

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You build from the trenches out— and after addressing OL last year, adding a blue chip DT is a big win.

Not only does his presence immediately impact the front 7 in a positive way— he saves snaps for Hankin and takes them away from Galliomore.

Some players excel with limited snaps, and maybe this maximizes the impact of guys like Gholston and Gallimore by increasing the amount of quality snaps they contribute
With two new additions within the interior: Mazi/Fehoko who they see inside/outside potential, players like Gallimore/Bohanna are going to have to earn their roster spots. Think Mazi presence will help out the 3T's, but the prospects there have to take that next step.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t know about the FA fullback but I do think they are going to try to get creative with Schoonmaker in a similar role.
I think both Schoon and the new FB potentially can have a major impact within the offense. Playing big personnel formations forces opposing defenses to match up, which means more linebackers then defensive backs on the field. The Cowboys can pass more effectively against these fronts and still be able to run the football.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys saw in opportunity to finish off the defense this draft. They did. Watch the corner they drafted in the 6th round during summer camp. The kid has talent.
Hearing the scouts feel like they drafted another Bland. Don't let that 4.7 40 time fool you, he did it after hurting his quad, there are rumblings that he actually is a 4.5 player. Mosher recalculated his athletic testing just changing his 40 time and it showed he was an elite athlete.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think both Schoon and the new FB potentially can have a major impact within the offense. Playing big personnel formations forces opposing defenses to match up, which means more linebackers then defensive backs on the field. The Cowboys can pass more effectively against these fronts and still be able to run the football.
I don't see it because I don't see young rookies having much impact. I still think they are going to figure out ways to get Hendershot and Ferguson out there together. Then you have Gallup, Cooks and Lamb....I don't know what to expect lol.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Mazi was in a 4 point stance at Michigan, so pass rush wasn't what they wanted from him schematically. I see the draft as moves to simply get bigger, stronger and faster in the front 7. There would be dropoff in the rotation once the starter needed a break on the DL, so adding Mazi n Fehoko helps there. Also, Mazi can play 3T. I see Mazi as a Carlos Watkins replacement role wise, so look for #58 to get moved around to dominate weaklink iOL. Fehoko is another run stopper at DE to go with DLaw n Golston.

Overshown can be a good QB spy, it's funny ppl compare him to Dono, and Dono was a Hurts spy one game if I recall correctly. When you look at all the WILBs (Clark, Cox, Harper, Overshown) I feel they all can spy a QB because they're fast **, so I look at this pick as a versatility n mentality pick. The front 7 is now complete.

Oh yeah, don't forget the Defense is getting built to whoop the 49ers too.
Overshown can potentially be even better then Wilson, having both on the field makes our run defense even stronger. Key in keeping the 2nd level clean, if they are able to accomplish that, our run defense can turn into a strength.

kevm3

Reaction score
I love the fact that they are finally drafting defense. Nothing more frustrating than a 5th round qb gashing the cowboys for hundreds of yards and just washing our D line getting pushed back into another galaxy.

J-man

Reaction score

I was thinking about this the other day. Last's year day 1 starter Bohanna, is now our 3rd string 1 T with Mazi and Hankins in front of him. That's pretty darn good.

With Odigi, Fehoko and Golston, where does Gallimore rank as our best 3T option? He's definitely behind Odigi already. I personally don't think Golston can push him out. But Fehoko may have a chance to do so. If he does, Galli as the 3rd string 3T, is pretty darn good too.