The AFC has absolutely screwed us the last week

Chuck 54

Reaction score
First with the Broncos sending Von Miller to the Rams. Now today it sounds like OBJ will be released and sign with the Packers or Bucs “superteam”. I also wouldn’t count out OBJ signing with the Rams as well. NFC is ridiculous this year.
I don’t see OBJ making it past Washington. Their receivers don’t offer much.

SSoup

Reaction score
None of these things bother me as much as the Colts winning just enough games and scoring just enough points to allow Carson Wentz to meet the snap percentage requirements that will give Philly a 3rd 1st round pick -- which will still end up pretty high because it's still the Colts and it's still Wentz.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
None of these things bother me as much as the Colts winning just enough games and scoring just enough points to allow Carson Wentz to meet the snap percentage requirements that will give Philly a 3rd 1st round pick -- which will still end up pretty high because it's still the Colts and it's still Wentz.

Oh, is it officially a 1st?

SSoup

Reaction score
Oh, is it officially a 1st?
Not yet official. But he needs to sit for, like, 5 games to keep their 1st rounder from going to Philly. Time is running out for them to make the switch.

They're still in the playoff hunt at 4-5 now. And Wentz individually is playing well enough for them to be optimistic about his future (and therefore less likely to shame him by quitting on the year and benching him, even though if they're being realistic he's much more likely to QB them somewhere in 2022 if he's armed with a new 1st round addition to the roster).

They'll almost surely whip the Jaguars next week to get themselves back to .500 so they can convince themselves they're competing.

Then they'll lose two in a row to Buffalo and Tampa, but they'll come out of that saying, "Well, sure, but those are elite teams. No shame in losing to them." And if they happen to cut it close in either those losses, they'll be even more encouraged. With only 5 games remaining.

This is the point of no return. 5 games left.

The next one, Houston, seems like a sure win (they won 31-3 over them the first time they played), so it would be tough to call off the dogs then when youve got a cushy win looming. Even if Houston pulls off the upset and wins and demoralizes them to the point that they face reality and decide the remaining 4-game stretch can't be won out, it's too late to reverse course and save the 1st rounder. (Unless they go full-on Math Nerd and start running an insane hurry-up offense designed to do nothing but maximize the number of snaps in the remaining 4 games, just for the sake of inflating the percentage of snaps the new QB has played.)

Basically, we need to hope the Jaguars beat them next week. If they lose to the Jags and then take their L's against Buffalo and Tampa, maybe that 3-game losing streak causes them to pack it in and protect their 1st rounder. If they put in a bad backup QB after that 3-game stretch, they can lose out or come close to losing out (they play NE, Vegas, and Arizona -- they just need Trevor Lawrence to best them in week 18 and they'll need their backup to cost them the Houston game) and end up with a very high pick to build around in the 2022 draft.

My worry is they'll beat the Jags, and then narrowly lose to Buffalo and Tampa (close enough to call it a moral victory). At that point they'll puff themselves up, and they kid themselves that they'll make a push and sneak into the tournament with the 7th seed. But that doesn't happen. Instead, they lose a shocker to Houston. The Pats beat them. The Cardinals beat them. The Raiders beat them. And maybe even the stinkin' Jags beat them with Trevor Lawrence finally putting things together and looking less like crap to close out the year. At 5-12 or 6-11, they finish miles away from the playoff spot they kidded themselves into thinking they'd steal. And the draft pick is crazy-high, helping the Eagles.

By the way, if they bench Wentz at the last possible second at a point where it's gonna come down to the wire and be really close in terms of snap percentages, it's worth remembering their final game is against a division rival who has a vested interest in costing them their 1st rounder since they have to face the Colts twice a year. The Jaguars could make up their minds to eat up the clock in their Week 18 game, dampening the number of total snaps in the game (so the Colts' new starting QB walks away from that game with fewer snaps than he'd normally get in a normal full game), tilting the math in a way that makes it even harder for the Colts to sneak in under the "75% of the snaps" threshold. If our season was effectively over and all we had to do to cost a division rival a 1st round pick was make a concerted effort to chew up the clock and limit the number of snaps in the final game, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
First with the Broncos sending Von Miller to the Rams. Now today it sounds like OBJ will be released and sign with the Packers or Bucs “superteam”. I also wouldn’t count out OBJ signing with the Rams as well. NFC is ridiculous this year.
The dude is a bum and a cancer on a team. If he plays against us the QB will be throwing away from the idiot. Maybe we'll get lucky an the team will sign his dad too........ha-haaa!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would imagine this to be the case. However, I think he's probably going to realise his opportunities are running out.

Right now it's clear his support system is still coddling him telling him someone else is the problem. Truth is when the problem follows you from QB to QB, Team to Team, it's not them. Untill he puts in the work to really get in sync with the QB and offense as a whole he will never realize his full potential. Romo and Dez were a good combo because they put in countless hours working together even though Dez was really limited in route running. Baker may not be the best QB but for some reason the other receivers don't have as much of an issue with catching the ball than OBJ, but he doesn't ever think about why that is. Such a waste for a guy who used to be talented.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Rams have Coop and Woods as their starting receivers. doubt OBJ becomes the third wheel/not the guy for LA.

Same goes for the Bucs. Brown, Godwin, Evans.

Could see the Packers but even then Im not too worried about him anymore.
Agreed on all. I can see the giants taking him back. They’re high in waiver order. I think around 6-7

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Obj as a third option is kinda scary
For the team that has him that's not good, that means the top two WO's are being blanketed and there is no way in hell that this dude can carry a team. He's a legend in his own mind..................... One more thing, the dude would be last on the Boy's depth chart!!!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Right now it's clear his support system is still coddling him telling him someone else is the problem. Truth is when the problem follows you from QB to QB, Team to Team, it's not them. Untill he puts in the work to really get in sync with the QB and offense as a whole he will never realize his full potential. Romo and Dez were a good combo because they put in countless hours working together even though Dez was really limited in route running. Baker may not be the best QB but for some reason the other receivers don't have as much of an issue with catching the ball than OBJ, but he doesn't ever think about why that is. Such a waste for a guy who used to be talented.

Oh, you're not wrong. I was talking to my roommate who's a Browns fan (I live in Cleveland) about that. I basically stated that, like Terrell Owens, the problem that OBJ has is he is a diva and known for it. He's great when he gets the ball in his hand. However, when he's not getting the ball in his hands, he's a nightmare for the QB. Though, at least TO lasted longer and he actually has multiple memorable plays compared to OBJ.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agreed on all. I can see the giants taking him back. They’re high in waiver order. I think around 6-7

I don't think they will, but I know why you say that. I think the Raiders probably fit him better. Though, idk. I feel like he's become what TO was, and not in a good way.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh, you're not wrong. I was talking to my roommate who's a Browns fan (I live in Cleveland) about that. I basically stated that, like Terrell Owens, the problem that OBJ has is he is a diva and known for it. He's great when he gets the ball in his hand. However, when he's not getting the ball in his hands, he's a nightmare for the QB. Though, at least TO lasted longer and he actually has multiple memorable plays compared to OBJ.

Bigger diva and way less talented than TO. OBJ needs an elite guy to get him the ball. He's always had drop issues and misques. There was a reason the giants wanted to move on and it wasn't a lack of talent, it's just that high end talent rarely showed up in games.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Bigger diva and way less talented than TO. OBJ needs an elite guy to get him the ball. He's always had drop issues and misques. There was a reason the giants wanted to move on and it wasn't a lack of talent, it's just that high end talent rarely showed up in games.

Exactly! At least in the case of TO, he had the skills to back it up. OBJ doesn't.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
they would have to claim his current contract, which typically is a deterrent. Once he clears waivers, he’ll be free to sign wherever

He is making like $14 million a year for three years with no more guaranteed money. Any team that has the cap space and needs a receiver should at least consider it.

Edit: I posted before seeing this comment about his contract restructure.

For those of you that think OBJ will be claimed via wavers instead of going where he pleases you might want to read this:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2...k-contract-obj-to-be-2022-free-agent#ref=home

I think the OP may have been correct and the Slimey AFC may have just strengthened one of our playoff opponents.

Looking at the teams with cap space to sign him only the Chargers are contenders and I doubt they will do it. He likely will go unclaimed imo.

Last edited:

Zordon

Reaction score
For those of you that think OBJ will be claimed via wavers instead of going where he pleases you might want to read this:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2...k-contract-obj-to-be-2022-free-agent#ref=home

I think the OP may have been correct and the Slimey AFC may have just strengthened one of our playoff opponents.
he would have to clear waivers to get the Packers.
If its a waiver wire thing hes going to the Raiders. Relax

Schefter is reporting he's going to get to choose his destination.

Reactions: ICP

tunahelper

Reaction score
My problem with Odell his entire career is that his success never correlated to winning. Highlight-reel talent, no doubt. But highly overrated in my book.

Agreed, but I would add brittle as glass.

Motorola

Reaction score
As of right now there isn't a team in the AFC that I would consider dominant. But I agree, Buffalo. One other possible team. The team in the same division that is quietly at 4-4.
At Carolina, then host Cleveland, before heading down to Atlanta for a Thursday night game.
Ten days pass before Tennessee goes north.
Possible 8-4 before the division rival shuffles off to Buffalo a month from now?