The altitude in September is daunting

erod

Reaction score
So when Denver comes down off the mountain, does the heavier air effect their play?
it has more to do with being a good team, not the air. They try to use that as a mind game. Last I seen they still have 8 homes games like all other teams, unless you are the 2005 Giants, and Mara gets you a 9th home game.
Road teams tend to wilt up there in the second half. There's definitely something to it because this is a 17-year sample Bob mentioned.

I love playing golf up there. You feel like Superman off the tees.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
When it comes to cardiovascular fitness, Basketball players are the best athletes in the world.

But they still would need need time to acclimate to the altitude, which the NBA schedule does not allow for ( teams fly in the night before and may be playing on the second night of a back-to-back). Just by the nature of the sport, altitude would be more impactful to basketball players due to the constant running and more limited substitutions.

bodi

Reaction score
well they thing that we have going for us is that most of the team are young guys in shaoe

I used to live at in Leadville when I was just out of college 10,152 feet and I would run all over the mountains

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
But they still would need need time to acclimate to the altitude, which the NBA schedule does not allow for ( teams fly in the night before and may be playing on the second night of a back-to-back). Just by the nature of the sport, altitude would be more impactful to basketball players due to the constant running and more limited substitutions.
It makes complete sense to think that but basketball players are in such good cardiovascular shape that they adapt quickly.

eyedoc

Reaction score

I went on a mission trip to a village in the mountains of Guatemala. It was about 3600 feet altitude. The church we were partnering with was about 700 yards up a thirty degree incline. The first morning I walked to the church I had to stop four times to catch my breath. I am not out of shape but I live at sea level. By the third I could walk to the church without stopping. It took that long for my body to adjust to altitude. Denver is a mile above sea level. It would take several days at that altitude to adjust. It's a huge advantage for the Broncos especially in the second half. Go Cowboys

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. The game is on FOX and it's their Game of the Week so Troy and Joe Buck should be the announcers.

Yes they are listed on the TV map index site to call the game. The actual map is not up yet. It should be later today, but they have the announcers listed.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Didn't we just see a team from San Diego dominate them in the 4th quarter and almost complete the comeback? I think it's overblown. How many of those week 1-2 wins were upsets? If they were consistently beating much better teams, then I'd buy into it. They have been a solid to very good team much of that time so I suspect most of those wins were probably expected anyway.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Opps forgot one

Steelers at Heinz Field............ Check

So the streak at Denver is coming to an end this weekend!!!

Szczepanik

Reaction score
They are conditioned athletes whom are conditioned to grind out teams. We will be fine. The altitude affects the less physical teams the most up here(I live there).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The skis are doing all the work. Bending knees shouldn't wear anyone out. Ditch the lift and walk up the slope and give us a full report afterwards

Have you been skiing often? It's a full body workout especially if you ski black diamond runs and ski as aggressively as I do.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Didn't we just see a team from San Diego dominate them in the 4th quarter and almost complete the comeback? I think it's overblown. How many of those week 1-2 wins were upsets? If they were consistently beating much better teams, then I'd buy into it. They have been a solid to very good team much of that time so I suspect most of those wins were probably expected anyway.
This is an awfully good point. The Chargers didn't wilt. The Broncos' record at home in September does suggest there is some impact from the altitude. Anyone who's spent time in that area probably would agree the altitude has some impact on breathing and stamina. But the Broncos have also been (mostly) good. That has an impact as well. But the stats would be more illuminating if scoring was broken down by quarter.

erod

Reaction score

Understand, I believe the Cowboys have a decided advantage on Sunday. The Broncos offense isn't that much better than the Giants, and their defense is similar. I think the Cowboys win.

I do agree with Sturm that the altitude plays a role.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
the NFL should let visitors blood dope when playing in Denver--or make the Broncos wear altitude simulation masks---but the NFL is too busy harassing Zeke