The Argument For Drafting a QB With the 10 Pick

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
If I was a team that went far in the playoffs and had an established franchise QB and no major holes, then yes, you could take the QB and turn him into multiple first round picks.

Dallas isn't a team in that position.

basel90

Reaction score
LOL...you think Tom Brady would come to Dallas? you seriously think Brady would come here!? why? what makes you think he would have chosen to come to a team, a first year head coach and a first year OC (has brady played more season than Moore's age?) and a meddling Owner...really!? your think Brady would come here...he chose Tampa, a 7-9 team, with a top notch defense, stacked talent on offense, a good head coach having had a QB that threw 30+ interceptions.....cut that in half and that's an 11-5 team.
just too funny.

Wilson would have cost two arms, two legs, part of your intestine, half of your liver, one eye to get to dallas...then you have no draft picks and a craappy defense and only $7M to fix the defense....doesn't that look just like Seattle? where wilson btw, is 1-3 in playoffs in the past 5 years...go figure

Dalton :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

How do you fix the defense? which FA would be available to fix the defense and how much money did they want? would you have been able to build an all time best defense with those FA (why were they in the market in the first place if they are any good?), you need a defense to compensate for the Grand Canyon size drop in QB play with red ball (didn't we already experiment with red heads and moved on already?)

you are very funny kid.....living in a fantasy world.
I totally disagree. You are blinded by you infatuation with Dak who has done NOTHING . You want to put down hall of farmers for Dak . Trades and deals could have been made to fox the defense without having to keep Dak , who was 1-4 to start the season and you want to blame it on dalton ?? You tell me who is delusional.

basel90

Reaction score
you are clueless if you think TB12 was coming here, he chose TB because he saw a defense and a offensive weapon list in warm climate that could extend his career. Thats pipe dream lets move ion form that thought process..it wasnt an option, period..TB was his target and that where he went brought the Calvary with him and a SB says he made the correct decsions. They were a QB and few pieces away, we were not..
Why do you say TB cannot come here ?
Even without TB , deals could have been made to fix the defense , with or without Dak on the roster . What makes you think Dak is a difference maker ? Heck , he started last season with the OL still intact and got us 1-4 , which should have been 0-4 if not for the Atlanta falcons miracle onside kick . There is NO PROOF Dak is worth his contract .

jnday

Reaction score
context matters and that's what you are omitting. first 5 games we played 4 playoff teams. Dalton lost to average teams. he lost bad. very bad. he gave the team ZERO chance. Ravens, WFT, AZ....he did beat 3 teams that had 4 wins (in the end) and some had 2 wins when we played them. all had their back up QBs when we played them and he still needed 9 turnovers and a defensive TD to get it done. In a must win game, against a 5 win team, he choked once again....and what stood out to me about Dalton, a 10+ year veteran was the last pass he threw in that game, an ill advised dumb pass that was intercepted and not give the offense one more chance at the end zone in a must win game....he showed no situational football awareness what so ever....that was utterly stupid. stupid, stupid. that was utterly Dalton and how his career was. even in that game the defense gave him two turnovers and he still couldn't get it done....Perhaps if Jones was injured and they had their back up, it might have been different

the difference in the OL was pretty much smith available for 1.5 games. in fact by the time Dalton got to the end of the season those back ups had a lot of experience and were playing much better, so he greatly benefited. the defense was HISTORICALLY bad in the first 5 games to the tune of giving up 37+ pts per game...

and the defense was terrible all along, but played much better towards the end. 9 turnovers and a TD in 3 games. 11 in the last 4 games.
If Dak would have put together some drives in the first half of those games, maybe they wouldn’t have been blow outs. The only reason Dak beat Atlanta was due to their special teams screw-up. There is nothing to indicate that a Dak would have won more games than Dalton, unless you buy in to they dreams of the Dak- lovers and those dreams have no dreams to back it up. If you really want to look at the facts, Dak has been horrible in the first half of games for the last couple of seasons. His stats have been accumulated when the defense was relaxed and the game was out of reach. As a Dak’s stats have increased , the number of losses have decreased every year which happens when stats don’t translate to wins. To top it off, Dak doesn’t have a good record at all when facing teams with winning records.

jnday

Reaction score
Romo was the best QB in the NFC East for much of his career and Dak has been the best his entire career.
I guess leading his team to wins doesn’t factor into your anointing of Dak as the best QB in the division.

plasticman

Reaction score
No. You had one of the worst defense in Cowboys history. QB is not a need at the 10th overall pick in the draft. Cowboy needs are RDE, CB, DT, LB, LDE, OT/OG, TE, QB, FB, and WR/KR.

The Dallas Cowboys angels gifted you Dak Prescott to replace Tony Romo. You can get a great developmental QB and quality back up in rounds 3-4 in this draft. That is were you found Prescott. I agree with your competition point and that is why I did not like the way they managed Romo without QB competition. You always want to keep QBs for depth and value to trade (see Morton, and Walsh). But this draft should be approached like the 2005 Dallas Cowboys draft....defense, defense, defense and more defense.
Absolutely, I agree......not the 10th pick overall. I'm assuming the Cowboys trade down. I just wanted to present the option and listen to everyone else's opinion.

What eliminated the option for me was the salary. I thought even the top ten rookies didn't receive that much money. Ten mil a year for the 10th overall? No.

However, I am in favor of acquiring a backup QB at some point with potential to compete. I believe competition is one of the most important aspects of a successful team.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Prefer defense but if the choice is between the TE and and a QB I’m taking the TE. The QB would be a colossal waste of a #10 pick. If it were me we would’ve made the deal for Adams with this pick long ago

This, before QB give me Pitts. We do not need a number 10 pick holding a clip board.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I totally disagree. You are blinded by you infatuation with Dak who has done NOTHING . You want to put down hall of farmers for Dak . Trades and deals could have been made to fox the defense without having to keep Dak , who was 1-4 to start the season and you want to blame it on dalton ?? You tell me who is delusional.
on the contrary, I am not infatuated by Dak as I was one of his earliest critics. I am more realist than all of the Dak detractors combined. as a matter of fact, you are blinded by your hate, refusing to see anything but what you have already determined in your mind....

you speak about trades and deals but that sounds like fantasy football.....if you think trades and deals could be made, give something realistic (not fantasy I repeat)....

Dak was 2-3 to start the season....check NFL rules...I don't make them...

Dalton Sucked. still sucks. we saw before our own eyes how badly he sucked. I don't need to make it up, OPEN your eyes and see for yourself.

put your hate and anger aside. put your ego aside. come back to reality.

btw, you are dilusional...just by defending Dalton and touting him early on last year......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If Dak would have put together some drives in the first half of those games, maybe they wouldn’t have been blow outs. The only reason Dak beat Atlanta was due to their special teams screw-up. There is nothing to indicate that a Dak would have won more games than Dalton, unless you buy in to they dreams of the Dak- lovers and those dreams have no dreams to back it up. If you really want to look at the facts, Dak has been horrible in the first half of games for the last couple of seasons. His stats have been accumulated when the defense was relaxed and the game was out of reach. As a Dak’s stats have increased , the number of losses have decreased every year which happens when stats don’t translate to wins. To top it off, Dak doesn’t have a good record at all when facing teams with winning records.
if the defense would hold in those games we would have won those games. if defense wouldn't give up a 50 yard TD run to a WR we would have won cleveland. heck if defense wouldn't give up 200 yards rushing and 31 points in the first half of cleveland game we would ahve won....

and I put together dallas quarter by quarter scoring average vs. the NFL and all this bologna about first half scoring was put to rest long ago....perhaps its your perception. I even did a break down of scoring in first half of the games in 2020 for somebody who complained we were so far behind early in the games.....all in your head, perception because thats what you want to believe.

and this total craap about stats against defenses when they are relaxed. see the scores in the first 5 games by quarter and you will understand, plus you must not know much about NFL and how the coaches coach the games.....but hey it fits your agenda and perception thus its a good story to tell...right?

and let me ask you again, are all wins and losses on Dak, with nobody else bearing any responsibility? defense? coaching? other players?

you are a Dak hater I assume.....

basel90

Reaction score
on the contrary, I am not infatuated by Dak as I was one of his earliest critics. I am more realist than all of the Dak detractors combined. as a matter of fact, you are blinded by your hate, refusing to see anything but what you have already determined in your mind....

you speak about trades and deals but that sounds like fantasy football.....if you think trades and deals could be made, give something realistic (not fantasy I repeat)....

Dak was 2-3 to start the season....check NFL rules...I don't make them...

Dalton Sucked. still sucks. we saw before our own eyes how badly he sucked. I don't need to make it up, OPEN your eyes and see for yourself.

put your hate and anger aside. put your ego aside. come back to reality.

btw, you are dilusional...just by defending Dalton and touting him early on last year......
You use the woes hate a lot . Seems very curious you accuse me . Look into that , internally . This is a sports opinion and discussion forum . I don’t hate anyone . You still have not proven Dak is worth anything close to his contract and you actually seem to think like Jerry . So we know the results will be bad .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You use the woes hate a lot . Seems very curious you accuse me . Look into that , internally . This is a sports opinion and discussion forum . I don’t hate anyone . You still have not proven Dak is worth anything close to his contract and you actually seem to think like Jerry . So we know the results will be bad .
for not hating anyone you sure put out a lot of hateful ideas...you called me a Dak Lover for giving my opinion...now you object to being treated exactly the same!!!

I have proven plenty...he is a top 10 QB, no arguments there. all your assumption of not doing enough early on was proven absolutely wrong. all perception on your part. all his statistics are similar in first/second half of games. similarly ranked among rest of NFL QBs. all of that has been provided. 50 FO personnel ranked him in the top 10, around 6 or 7th best in the league. with Brees gone, I am assuming he is now higher on the list.

you have provided ZERO proof of anything. like I said, everything you claimed has been totally debunked.

and I asked a simple question which you avoided answering...is all wins and losses on Dak? does defense, coaches, other players bear any responsibility? I guess that doesn't suit your baseless argument so you avoid. right?

basel90

Reaction score
for not hating anyone you sure put out a lot of hateful ideas...you called me a Dak Lover for giving my opinion...now you object to being treated exactly the same!!!

I have proven plenty...he is a top 10 QB, no arguments there. all your assumption of not doing enough early on was proven absolutely wrong. all perception on your part. all his statistics are similar in first/second half of games. similarly ranked among rest of NFL QBs. all of that has been provided. 50 FO personnel ranked him in the top 10, around 6 or 7th best in the league. with Brees gone, I am assuming he is now higher on the list.

you have provided ZERO proof of anything. like I said, everything you claimed has been totally debunked.

and I asked a simple question which you avoided answering...is all wins and losses on Dak? does defense, coaches, other players bear any responsibility? I guess that doesn't suit your baseless argument so you avoid. right?

Love is better than hate , i hope you understand this . name calling is not a virtue.
1- what have you proven with dak ? the yards are a product of the system built to create yards with the best OL RB WR combo at its prime . The whole system is built to produce passing yards . Cee Dee , Cooper , the OL , the running game etc etc. Any serviceable QB will produce yards , period. Dalton actually had to endure the OL when it was struck with injuries. I am not proclaiming dalton is better than dak and if i had to choose on equal cost basis i would take dak as he is more mobile.
2- Dak is not a top 10 QBs in many books . but some may consider him a top 10 due to the yardage. I hope he shows up this coming seaon.
3- All the losses are NOT on dak and i answered this so many times , i can pull up the previous chats if you want. In fact my argument is that this team needs to fix the defense big time , this is why i was against paying dak the richest contract in the nfl as he is not going to produce the wins because the defense is not fixed with the cap limits , nor is dak that big of a difference maker as we have seen . an 8-8 cycle is the usual result.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Love is better than hate , i hope you understand this . name calling is not a virtue.
1- what have you proven with dak ? the yards are a product of the system built to create yards with the best OL RB WR combo at its prime . The whole system is built to produce passing yards . Cee Dee , Cooper , the OL , the running game etc etc. Any serviceable QB will produce yards , period. Dalton actually had to endure the OL when it was struck with injuries. I am not proclaiming dalton is better than dak and if i had to choose on equal cost basis i would take dak as he is more mobile.
2- Dak is not a top 10 QBs in many books . but some may consider him a top 10 due to the yardage. I hope he shows up this coming seaon.
3- All the losses are NOT on dak and i answered this so many times , i can pull up the previous chats if you want. In fact my argument is that this team needs to fix the defense big time , this is why i was against paying dak the richest contract in the nfl as he is not going to produce the wins because the defense is not fixed with the cap limits , nor is dak that big of a difference maker as we have seen . an 8-8 cycle is the usual result.
1- Completely wrong on those accounts, which shows a lack of understanding and a key-hole view into Dak and any QB for that matter.. the best any QB and I mean any QB can do is utilize the resources they are provided to maximize their output. Brees produced a lot of yards, etc. but he had some nice resources in TEs, Wrs, RB and a very good OL at his disposal. does it mean Brees wasn't as good? no, it means he maximized their output. Brady last year had a lot of nice resources in WRs, TEs, running game, coaching and support of a truly top 10 defense. he maximized their output. Wilson is the same, having nice group of WRs, good OL and a good supporting running game and he produced (their defense let him down much like ours)....Dalton in fact didn't produce. against average teams and playoff teams he actually collapsed, pretty bad I might say. WFT, AZ, Ravens owned his arse. he was able to produce against much inferior teams, some with 2 wins at the time. having their back up QBs, and our defense taking advantage and providing him with 9 turnovers (short field) and a score....so Dalton didn't produce. the OL Dalton played was pretty much the same as dak except for 1.5 games that Tyron smith played (injured I must say). so Dalton didn't produce by any stretch of imagination close to Dak or keep the team competitive. CONTEXT matters else you come to the wrong conclusions.

2- Dak is top 10 in most all books, except a few like Stephen A. smith (OMG) and Skip Bayless two of the loudest mouths and empty heads in the business. if you want to follow them and believe in them, good for you...good luck. and FO personnel unlike fans like you aren't enamoured just by Yards, if they were, they would have ranked Winston way up there..... there are many factors the FO personnel use to size a QB.....yards and ability to produce yards are one of many factors. this yard thing is a narrative the Dak haters cling to, which has been debunked 100 times over.

3- so if not all wins/losses are on Dak, why do you continuously harp on his record? you can't be on both side of the fence. and giving Dak a rich contract (not the richest, which is a total lie on your part). doesn't stop us from building a defense. there are no real FA of note to sign that we couldn't, that would make a big difference on this defense. teams tend to hold on to the franchise type players including on the defensive side of the ball. injured, old, head cases are usually the ones that hit the market. if any FA of note worth their play hit the market they will be OVER PRICED as well. the dollars you complain about, is if we wanted to hand it to our own FAs. which I question you to tell us which ones did we want to keep on our defense and couldn't? in fact we should have never paid Jaylon...but we did. our mistake. we have 8 of the largest positional contracts on the team. Money has never been an issue. paying the right players, and the right positions have always been an issue. the easiest path to the superbowl is with a QB. if you want to go with Dilfer wo is >>>>> Dalton then you better build an all time defense to compensate for the lack of QB play. and those all time defenses aren't build through FA. you can sign a player or two here and there to a position that you didn't draft well and have a need. but you CAN NOT build a defense through FA. that's an argument that even Dak haters couldn't support, but continue to argue without merit.

so which defensive players did you want to sign, that would have made a difference in this defense and compensate for drop in QB if you didn't sign Dak and went with Dalton? which of our own defensive players should we have signed and couldn't?

lastly, why are you complaining about Dak contract? when we have over paid players like Lawrence and Jaylon and Zeke on the team. why aren't you dedicating the same number of posts and complain about their contracts? what would be a fair market value for Dak that would have made you happy?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, the team has apparently spoken with Sam Elingher a few times now so it's possible that he might be the one the team is looking at. Hard to know for sure, I mean, he fits the Offense. He's not really a lot different then Dak, coming out, IMO.

Career numbers for both qbs in college;

Dak 6-2 230 lbs
Comp. 734, Att.1169, Pct. 62.8, Yds. 9376, Y/A 8.0, AY/A 8.3, TD 70, INTs 23, Rate 146.0

Sam 6-3 225 lbs
Comp. 923, Att.1476, Pct. 62.5, Yds. 11436, Y/A 7.7, AY/A 8.2, TD 94, INTs 27, Rate 145.0

These two QBs are virtually identical. Same skill sets, same physical size, same agility really. These are basically the same QBs coming out of college.

Two things come to mind. One, those who don't think much of Ehlinger, then you should understand why a lot of people are skeptical of Dak. Those who think Dak is a top 5 QB, in the NFL, don't talk down to Ehlinger because these two really are the same guy at similar points of their respective careers.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Stephen will not be taking a QB at 10. Only way a QB is going to be taken at that spot is if someone trades up to take him at 10.

basel90

Reaction score
1- Completely wrong on those accounts, which shows a lack of understanding and a key-hole view into Dak and any QB for that matter.. the best any QB and I mean any QB can do is utilize the resources they are provided to maximize their output. Brees produced a lot of yards, etc. but he had some nice resources in TEs, Wrs, RB and a very good OL at his disposal. does it mean Brees wasn't as good? no, it means he maximized their output. Brady last year had a lot of nice resources in WRs, TEs, running game, coaching and support of a truly top 10 defense. he maximized their output. Wilson is the same, having nice group of WRs, good OL and a good supporting running game and he produced (their defense let him down much like ours)....Dalton in fact didn't produce. against average teams and playoff teams he actually collapsed, pretty bad I might say. WFT, AZ, Ravens owned his arse. he was able to produce against much inferior teams, some with 2 wins at the time. having their back up QBs, and our defense taking advantage and providing him with 9 turnovers (short field) and a score....so Dalton didn't produce. the OL Dalton played was pretty much the same as dak except for 1.5 games that Tyron smith played (injured I must say). so Dalton didn't produce by any stretch of imagination close to Dak or keep the team competitive. CONTEXT matters else you come to the wrong conclusions.

2- Dak is top 10 in most all books, except a few like Stephen A. smith (OMG) and Skip Bayless two of the loudest mouths and empty heads in the business. if you want to follow them and believe in them, good for you...good luck. and FO personnel unlike fans like you aren't enamoured just by Yards, if they were, they would have ranked Winston way up there..... there are many factors the FO personnel use to size a QB.....yards and ability to produce yards are one of many factors. this yard thing is a narrative the Dak haters cling to, which has been debunked 100 times over.

3- so if not all wins/losses are on Dak, why do you continuously harp on his record? you can't be on both side of the fence. and giving Dak a rich contract (not the richest, which is a total lie on your part). doesn't stop us from building a defense. there are no real FA of note to sign that we couldn't, that would make a big difference on this defense. teams tend to hold on to the franchise type players including on the defensive side of the ball. injured, old, head cases are usually the ones that hit the market. if any FA of note worth their play hit the market they will be OVER PRICED as well. the dollars you complain about, is if we wanted to hand it to our own FAs. which I question you to tell us which ones did we want to keep on our defense and couldn't? in fact we should have never paid Jaylon...but we did. our mistake. we have 8 of the largest positional contracts on the team. Money has never been an issue. paying the right players, and the right positions have always been an issue. the easiest path to the superbowl is with a QB. if you want to go with Dilfer wo is >>>>> Dalton then you better build an all time defense to compensate for the lack of QB play. and those all time defenses aren't build through FA. you can sign a player or two here and there to a position that you didn't draft well and have a need. but you CAN NOT build a defense through FA. that's an argument that even Dak haters couldn't support, but continue to argue without merit.

so which defensive players did you want to sign, that would have made a difference in this defense and compensate for drop in QB if you didn't sign Dak and went with Dalton? which of our own defensive players should we have signed and couldn't?

lastly, why are you complaining about Dak contract? when we have over paid players like Lawrence and Jaylon and Zeke on the team. why aren't you dedicating the same number of posts and complain about their contracts? what would be a fair market value for Dak that would have made you happy?
Dak is not even in the same league as Brees , which show how enamored you are by dak , without any proof points . it is clouding your judgement . Every argument needs proof points. Your proof points are basically that dak is a great QB and has produced yards . But you ignore many games where he missed so many throws , and could not make the right reads or audibles and just folded once the running game fizzled out. The proof i have is his latest record last year despite the fact he benefited from the full healthy OL with zack martin and others. His record against good teams is abysmal , around 20-50 . And on top of this he was injured and was paid the second most expensive salary (although i think it is more harmful to the cap than mahomes deal which much more spread over so many year , plus he has a SB ring !!) in the game. Something is wrong here. This team needs so much help and not a decent nice QB .
The losses, again are not all on dak , nor are the wins by the way . He has a top offensive system .
Free agency has shown how much talent there is to acquire as teams have to trade or release players. Without a top 10 defense a super bowl or CCG won't happen.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Why do you say TB cannot come here ?

Because at his age TB wanted a team that could contend right away, and he had no reason to hitch his wagon to the bumbling Jones boys.

Take off the silver and blue goggles. He was never coming to Dallas, and he never will (except to win another football game for his team).

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Because at his age TB wanted a team that could contend right away, and he had no reason to hitch his wagon to the bumbling Jones boys.

Take off the silver and blue goggles. He was never coming to Dallas, and he never will (except to win another football game for his team).

LLLOOOLLL, love what you used for the end of the first paragraph.