The beauty of this roster, defined by a pair of Cowboy boots

erod

Reaction score
When was the last time the roster was in this good of shape? Seems eons ago, perhaps not even since the 70s in fact. And I'm not just talking about talent, depth, and youth.

Listen to that. Aren't you enjoying the peace and quiet? Isn't it just sublime?

Outside of maybe a certain running back we all hold our breath on a bit, this is a roster devoid of divas, headcases, and Neanderthals. Taco is no more, so what's left is a room with good dudes with no drama who genuinely like each other. "Clear eyed," perhaps one of our young bucks would say. One and all.

As the perfect example, I give you the story of Dak's new Cowboy boots.

There he was, kid from the south, talking to punter Chris Jones. (Yes, our high-profile quarterback isn't too much of a big deal to hang with our everyday punter.) "You've never had any boots?" Jones asked incredulously of his fellow southerner. Dak shook his head, nope. "Then let's go," Jones ordered.

Off they went, our punter and quarterback, in an old pickup Jones bought and restored to look like his truck from high school. Just the two of them, down the road to a local western clothier, where Jones bought Dak his first pair of Cowboys boots. I repeat, Chris Jones treated Dak Prescott to his first pair of boots.

Dak loves them. He wore them yesterday around the locker room in (yikes) ankle socks, shorts, and a t-shirt. These stories are unquestionably my favorite thing about Dak Prescott. The dude gets it. He gets life. He avoids the traps and scripts that so many others in his position follow. He sees teammates, not just star players and interchangeable parts that come and go. He leaves paychecks and pecking order outside the facility altogether.

The best part is, it isn't just him. Even if he sets the overall tone.

It's the collective team mindset of the receiving corps, which is rare in the NFL among guys of this caliber. It's the respectful and supportive relationships between Vander Esch, Jaylon, and Lee. It's an offensive line that goes everywhere together, and is led by backup Joe Looney. It's a close-knit defensive line and a talented young secondary that avoids the nonsense so many other don't.

I look around the league at the knuckleheads other teams are dealing with. So much selfishness and indivudualism that is just crushing teams' focus and energy. We've had that around here plenty, and it's exhausting.

I realize these things don't last forever, but for now, ain't it great to be a Cowboys fan.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Let’s give Garrett a little credit for the “right kind of guys”

Shout out to @Idgit

Yes. I told you I want to be wrong about him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let’s give Garrett a little credit for the “right kind of guys”

Shout out to @Idgit

Yes. I told you I want to be wrong about him.

Let’s hope he keeps improving the team. That’s something we all want to see. I hope. :)

cowboyec

Reaction score
:starspin:'Merica's Team:starspin:
right there.....plain as day....
:starspin:'Merica's Team:starspin:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
When was the last time the roster was in this good of shape? Seems eons ago, perhaps not even since the 70s in fact. And I'm not just talking about talent, depth, and youth.

Listen to that. Aren't you enjoying the peace and quiet? Isn't it just sublime?

Outside of maybe a certain running back we all hold our breath on a bit, this is a roster devoid of divas, headcases, and Neanderthals. Taco is no more, so what's left is a room with good dudes with no drama who genuinely like each other. "Clear eyed," perhaps one of our young bucks would say. One and all.

As the perfect example, I give you the story of Dak's new Cowboy boots.

There he was, kid from the south, talking to punter Chris Jones. (Yes, our high-profile quarterback isn't too much of a big deal to hang with our everyday punter.) "You've never had any boots?" Jones asked incredulously of his fellow southerner. Dak shook his head, nope. "Then let's go," Jones ordered.

Off they went, our punter and quarterback, in an old pickup Jones bought and restored to look like his truck from high school. Just the two of them, down the road to a local western clothier, where Jones bought Dak his first pair of Cowboys boots. I repeat, Chris Jones treated Dak Prescott to his first pair of boots.

Dak loves them. He wore them yesterday around the locker room in (yikes) ankle socks, shorts, and a t-shirt. These stories are unquestionably my favorite thing about Dak Prescott. The dude gets it. He gets life. He avoids the traps and scripts that so many others in his position follow. He sees teammates, not just star players and interchangeable parts that come and go. He leaves paychecks and pecking order outside the facility altogether.

The best part is, it isn't just him. Even if he sets the overall tone.

It's the collective team mindset of the receiving corps, which is rare in the NFL among guys of this caliber. It's the respectful and supportive relationships between Vander Esch, Jaylon, and Lee. It's an offensive line that goes everywhere together, and is led by backup Joe Looney. It's a close-knit defensive line and a talented young secondary that avoids the nonsense so many other don't.

I look around the league at the knuckleheads other teams are dealing with. So much selfishness and indivudualism that is just crushing teams' focus and energy. We've had that around here plenty, and it's exhausting.

I realize these things don't last forever, but for now, ain't it great to be a Cowboys fan.
I see you’re coming around on Prescott... kudos to you. So many take a stance on a player and then despite evidence to the contrary, they stick to it no matter what.

I always respect people who can be won over by an improving player or by a guy who works hard and has character like Dak.

Dak had earned some questions by not playing great... but now he’s earning the praise through hard work and perseverance. The guy has improved a whole lot on the field, and off of it he has always been among the very best of them. Dak is quality through-and-through.

It is really nice to see how far he has come and it is even better to see fans who doubted him giving him his due because, like I said, so many tend to want to be right in an evaluation and not give credit to a guy who has worked hard to be a really good player.

Again, kudos.

erod

Reaction score
I see you’re coming around on Prescott... kudos to you. So many take a stance on a player and then despite evidence to the contrary, they stick to it no matter what.

I always respect people who can be won over by an improving player or by a guy who works hard and has character like Dak.

Dak had earned some questions by not playing great... but now he’s earning the praise through hard work and perseverance. The guy has improved a whole lot on the field, and off of it he has always been among the very best of them. Dak is quality through-and-through.

It is really nice to see how far he has come and it is even better to see fans who doubted him giving him his due because, like I said, so many tend to want to be right in an evaluation and not give credit to a guy who has worked hard to be a really good player.

Again, kudos.
It's never been about coming around on him with me. I've always like the guy's makeup and poise. As somebody who's hired people for years, I can't tell you how hard it is to find quality people who walk the walk.

It's simply about seeing him actually see the field and throw like an NFL quarterback. He's still got that to prove to me before I believe he's anything more than a middle-of-the-pack quarterback. He certainly has the perfect personnel to do so. Against two bad teams, I have liked his play from the pocket so far. I really like how the ball is coming out quickly, which is obviously a focus with Moore and Kitna. He's driving off his back foot instead of lifting it, which is good. He's made a few really nice throws that perked me up a bit.

But I still need to see it against the upper echelon defensive teams, not just this garbage we've played the first three weeks. We'll know what we have by Thanksgiving.

I will say this. I'm far more optimistic than I've been, and certainly more so than I thought I would be this early in the season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It's never been about coming around on him with me. I've always like the guy's makeup and poise. As somebody who's hired people for years, I can't tell you how hard it is to find quality people who walk the walk.

It's simply about seeing him actually see the field and throw like an NFL quarterback. He's still got that to prove to me before I believe he's anything more than a middle-of-the-pack quarterback. He certainly has the perfect personnel to do so. Against two bad teams, I have liked his play from the pocket so far. I really like how the ball is coming out quickly, which is obviously a focus with Moore and Kitna. He's driving off his back foot instead of lifting it, which is good. He's made a few really nice throws that perked me up a bit.

But I still need to see it against the upper echelon defensive teams, not just this garbage we've played the first three weeks. We'll know what we have by Thanksgiving.

I will say this. I'm far more optimistic than I've been, and certainly more so than I thought I would be this early in the season.
Exactly.

IheartRomo

Reaction score

His play from the pocket these first two weeks is night and day from what he had been prior to the Amari acquisition and even later on last year. The reads are quick and confident, the ball is coming out significantly quicker and with better velocity. The accuracy has been markedly different - he's regularly hitting receivers in stride allowing for YAC which had been one of his biggest weaknesses.

I've always liked Dak because of the flashes of brilliance he had displayed in 2016 (even as a pocket passer from time to time) but he was never able to put it together consistently since (although I do suspect that a huge driver of the issue was inability of any receiver on the roster to get separation). I'm as excited about his long term prospects as I've ever been as I believe most of us are.

Zordon

Reaction score
I was actually going to make a thread about this topic the other day after watching some of the player interviews this week. I recommend everyone go watch Travis Frederick, Amari Cooper and Zack Martin's interviews on DC.com to get a sample of the type of intelligent, professional, high character people that encompass this locker rokm. There are so many it's hard to fathom them not winning a title soon. A lot of my frustration with Garrett is the fact that he can't get over the hump with this group of really good people. Seeing other teams go further in the playoffs than us with a team full of malcontents sickens me to no end.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Kellen Moore has a system that Dak can thrive in. As long as we have both in their current roles and Dak has plenty of weapons, there is no reason to not think the Cowboys will have a very good offensive attack. They've already proven they are the top dog in the league. Now it's time to see how they stand with the rest of the league.

GenoT

Reaction score
Always great to be a Cowboys fan.

Greater still if we can manage to get past the div-round of the postseason.

JBond

Reaction score

Well said.

Thank you.