CFZ The best Cowboys WR most fans have never heard of

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
T.O. was indeed a great WR but he was a selfish malcontent that divided locker rooms and would inevitably become his QB's worst enemy. Granted he made plays and scored touchdowns, but in a team sport like football more is required.

He was a headcase no doubt. With the right QB, he would be fine.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tony Hill owns one of the three most vivid catches in my Cowboys history. Staubach to Hill for 6 to beat the Skins and knock them out of the playoffs, 35-34.

The other two were Drew's immaculate reception and Butch "Six Guns" Johnson's diving catch as he crossed the end zone in the 77 SB.

When I think of the WR's in Cowboys history: Bob Hayes, Lance Alworth, Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Michael Irvin, Terrell Owens and Dez Bryant, we had some very special WR's.
Yea,I can’t imagine Thrill Hill being an unknown WR. While Drew was Mr Clutch, Hill was more explosive and big play.

And we have been very blessed. I’d add Frank Clarke, Lance Rentzel, Alvin Harper, Butch Johnson and Golden Richards.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I appreciate TO as a great receiver, I just don’t include him in Cowboys WR rankings because he only played here 3 seasons. He’s certainly worthy of his HOF jacket.

No I get it. But you wont see Deion off any lists and what did he play here? 2 seasons?

TO is just not likeable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I appreciate TO as a great receiver, I just don’t include him in Cowboys WR rankings because he only played here 3 seasons. He’s certainly worthy of his HOF jacket.
Yea, unfortunately when I think of TO, I think of the guy who ran Parcells off early probably costing that team a better shot of a championship appearance.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I get it. But you wont see Deion off any lists and what did he play here? 2 seasons?

TO is just not likeable.
Deion was here 5 seasons and won an NFC championship, a SB and played in 7 playoff games here, winning 4. The Cowboys played in 2 playoff games with TO, losing both.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score

TO is just not likeable.
2 Seasons?! We had PRIMETIME for only 2 Seasons?! Wow!! your memory is very short.. Back to the archives my friend:laugh:

starfan1

Reaction score
I didn’t even want TO on the team in 06 but even I’ll admit he’s the most talented wr to for the Cowboys ever.
Ya he’s an extreme talent and a freak of nature who just couldn’t grasp his emotions properly at times
Heck I think he could actually still suit up now I heard he’s still in great shape

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Any Cowboys fan that’s been following the team since the 1970s has certainly heard of Tony Hill. Even the fans that started following the team years later have heard of him. The best Cowboys receiver most Cowboys fans have never heard of was Otto Stowe. He was traded to the Cowboys from Miami in 1973. He reminded me of Paul Warfield. He was terrific the first seven games of the 1973 season putting up 23 catches for 389 yards and 6 TDs. He then got injured and was never heard from again. Drew Pearson who was a rookie took over for him and the rest is history.

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/.amp/nfl/player-behind-the-success-of-drew-pearson

https://cyclones.com/sports/2015/3/2/GEN_20140101106.aspx

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Deion was here 5 seasons and won an NFC championship, a SB and played in 7 playoff games here, winning 4. The Cowboys played in 2 playoff games with TO, losing both.

How many was TO here? 3?

cowboyec

Reaction score
as a kid i wrote to gordon banks and kelvin edwards.
got cool responses from both.
loved both those guys.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Two of my favorite highlights of Hill’s career-
1. His TD catch in SB XIII. Drew Pearson made a tremendous deceptive block on that play. Here’s a link to the SB 13 highlights. Hill’s TD is at :32 seconds in the video:
2. His TD catch in ‘79 to beat the dead skins to clinch the NFC East in that great comeback. Here’s a highlight video of that game:

WOW, BH!!!!!!! Thank you for posting Roger Staubach's greatest game!

I remember watching it with my dad, brother, grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins. The whole family went crazy in happiness while celebrating the late comeback win to solidify winning the division and making the playoffs.

mmohican29

Reaction score
The original #80. Tony “Thrill” Hill is IMO one of the top 4-5 receivers in Cowboys history. And most Cowboys fans know little to nothing about him.

Tony Hill was drafted in the 3rd round in 1977, and after a slow rookie season, he led the Cowboys in receptions, yards and TDs for the next 9 seasons.

In 1979, Hill and Drew Pearson- along with the great Tony Dorsett- became the first team in NFL history to have two 1,000-yards WRs and a 1,000-yard RB, when he recorded 60 receptions, 1,062 yards and 10 TDs. Pearson and Hill also became the first WR tandem in Cowboys history, to record 1,000-yard receiving seasons in the same year.

Hill was often in the shadow of the OG #88, HOF WR Drew Pearson who made the NFL’s 70s All Decade Team. But Hill had a surprisingly great career. Here are some of his highlights:
  • Tony Hill had more career yards than Bob Hayes, Drew Pearson and Dez Bryant, making him 3rd all time in receiving yds in team history.
  • He led the team in receptions 9 straight seasons from 1978-86.
  • Hill played in 17 playoff games in his 10 seasons, including 2 SBs and 5 NFC championships. He caught a thrilling TD reception in SB XIII against the Steelers.
  • Averaged 16.7 yds per reception for his career.
  • Had a whopping 26 games of 100 yds or more receiving.
  • He caught passes in 59 straight games.
  • Hill was named to the Cowboys 50 year anniversary team.
  • Hill should be in the ROH.
The next time a list of the all time great Cowboys receivers is made, don’t forget about Tony “Thrill” Hill. I have him as the 4th best WR in Cowboys history behind only Michael Irvin, Drew Pearson, and Bob Hayes.

Dez > Thrill