The best remaining DE options

Loso86

Reaction score
Yeah, I know we are going to sign and start Dorance Armstrong, but I can at least dream a little bit longer until it happens. These are the remaining DE options from the CBS Top 50 Free Agents that are still on the open market and Stephen might even be able to bully them into a lesser deal......

#26. Jadaveon Clowney, 29 Years Old
#32. Derek Barnett, 25 Years Old
#33. Melvin Ingram, 32 Years Old

Any Takers?
Man at some point we need to make our voices heard to them. We in no way have gotten better this offseason thus far

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Bring Armstrong back on a three year deal. Because right now most of the DE's that are left are on the same level as Armstrong. Rotational guys.

CWR

Reaction score
Man at some point we need to make our voices heard to them. We in no way have gotten better this offseason thus far

Local media has been pretty vocal about how pissed off Cowboy fans are now. I think its become abundantly clear to the FO. We are being heard, but are they listening?

Loso86

Reaction score
Local media has been pretty vocal about how pissed off Cowboy fans are now. I think its become abundantly clear to the FO. We are being heard, but are they listening?
Yea I agree but I mean drastically. It will never happen but stop giving then money you know, no games etc

Reactions: CWR

plasticman

Reaction score
Leon Lett didn't light the league up when he first entered the NFL. It took him four seasons to becomes a starter. He started out as a backup DE and then switched to DT where he made the Pro Bowl twice.

Perhaps Dorrance just needed more time. He had some nice productivity last season, although I suspect that was influenced by the presence of others.

Still, in all fairness, he's had three defensive coordinators in his last three seasons, that has to stunt his growth somewhat.

Is he the answer? Is he ready for a break out season? That's the big question. I think that, opposite Tank, it's going to be by committee. We will see Armstrong, Parsons, and others. The actual starter won't play much more than 50% of the times and he will probably be the best run defender.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Unbelievable.
This is the most valuable franchise is Professional Sports?
Just piss poor management.
No way Gregory should get away, unless we saw the opportunity to upgrade.
With that relationship you tell him to bring us his best offer, and if it's reasonable, we match it.
No we are in a huge bind at DE.
I don't like dumping Cooper the way we did either. Could have restructured him and cleared 13 mil off the books.
Instead we tank his trade value by talking crap about him, then dump him for next to nothing.
Now we have a hole at WR. Coop at a 7 mil cap number for the upcoming year would have kept WR a strength, and still allowed us to keep Gallup and Schultz,
And I get the kick the can argument, but the fact is the cap is ready to explode. It could be as high as 248 just next year with the new TV deal kicking in. Kirk just got like 18 per, and Williams I think close to 20. 20 mil for a top 10-15 WR is not horrible at all. Watch as WR salaries soar well past 20 in the next few years.
I sort of get the Collins thing, his laziness etc, but again, you tanked his trade value and now we may just end up cutting him, creating yet another hole (at T) that was a strength.
Too many holes now to fill in the draft, and I'm not really liking the free agents left at WR and Edge.
Just horrible asset management.
Keep RG, Coop, Collins, Kearse. Hooker
Get a LB or 2, maybe a run stuffing DT
Draft OL (which is incredibly deep in this draft)

J_Allen

Reaction score
Unbelievable.
This is the most valuable franchise is Professional Sports?
Just piss poor management.
No way Gregory should get away, unless we saw the opportunity to upgrade.
With that relationship you tell him to bring us his best offer, and if it's reasonable, we match it.
No we are in a huge bind at DE.
I don't like dumping Cooper the way we did either. Could have restructured him and cleared 13 mil off the books.
Instead we tank his trade value by talking crap about him, then dump him for next to nothing.
Now we have a hole at WR. Coop at a 7 mil cap number for the upcoming year would have kept WR a strength, and still allowed us to keep Gallup and Schultz,
And I get the kick the can argument, but the fact is the cap is ready to explode. It could be as high as 248 just next year with the new TV deal kicking in. Kirk just got like 18 per, and Williams I think close to 20. 20 mil for a top 10-15 WR is not horrible at all. Watch as WR salaries soar well past 20 in the next few years.
I sort of get the Collins thing, his laziness etc, but again, you tanked his trade value and now we may just end up cutting him, creating yet another hole (at T) that was a strength.
Too many holes now to fill in the draft, and I'm not really liking the free agents left at WR and Edge.
Just horrible asset management.
Keep RG, Coop, Collins, Kearse. Hooker
Get a LB or 2, maybe a run stuffing DT
Draft OL (which is incredibly deep in this draft)

We lost a guy who averages 6 sacks a season. Thank God someone took him off our hands for 70 million because we were about to sign him to that.

ICP

Reaction score
It's painfully obvious that they wont spend any of that 28 mil on an impact player, instead they bring in 10 different JAGS, hope a couple work out and walk around patting themselves on the back

jnday

Reaction score
Don't forget about Dorance Armstrong
I think most of the fans would like to forget about Armstrong and his non-existent production over the last few years. He has offered very little help for a defense that desperately needs good DE production.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Yeah, I know we are going to sign and start Dorance Armstrong, but I can at least dream a little bit longer until it happens. These are the remaining DE options from the CBS Top 50 Free Agents that are still on the open market and Stephen might even be able to bully them into a lesser deal......

#26. Jadaveon Clowney, 29 Years Old
#32. Derek Barnett, 25 Years Old
#33. Melvin Ingram, 32 Years Old

Any Takers?

Pass, Should have gone hard after Jones.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I think most of the fans would like to forget about Armstrong and his non-existent production over the last few years. He has offered very little help for a defense that desperately needs good DE production.

He actually came in and played solid last year.

Robster8989

Reaction score
We lost a guy who averages 6 sacks a season. Thank God someone took him off our hands for 70 million because we were about to sign him to that.

Gregory is an impactful player. Solid against the run and pressures the QB.
And we had the inside track.
70 mil over 5 averages 14 per season, and those final years are not guaranteed.
You're living in the past on the cap.
We are a few years away from a 300 mil cap.
Watch Edge salaries soar over the next few years.
14 per, with a 6 mil cap this year, is a bargain for a really good player.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I’d take Barnett in a heartbeat. I wanted him in the draft.

If we're looking at edge is basically Clowney, Ingram, Barnett, Hughes, Houston, and Flowers.

I think Clowney has the most upside and is most talented of the group but carries higher injury risk. If he wanted to sign a similar contract to last year 1 year 8 million I would jump on it as a stop gap. Heck give him the 1 year 10 million deal you were offering to DLAW if you want an edge guy.

Derek Barnett is somewhat intriguing mostly because of his age, college resume, and draft status. But the reality is he contributed about as much as Basham did and had more snaps.

Justin Houston has had a good career and carries name recognition. Would be open to signing him, but only a rotational guy and doesn't fully solve edge needs.

Ingram and Flowers I would have zero interest in. Way overrated players. Hughes is another rotational guy, fall back option.

Sans Clowney, Dorrance armstrong may be just as equipped as the other guys who mostly have name recognition at this point. Instead of edge Cowboys may want to consider filling needs on the OL, LB, WR, Interior dline, and db where there remains better quality and value.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Gregory is an impactful player. Solid against the run and pressures the QB.
And we had the inside track.
70 mil over 5 averages 14 per season, and those final years are not guaranteed.
You're living in the past on the cap.
We are a few years away from a 300 mil cap.
Watch Edge salaries soar over the next few years.
14 per, with a 6 mil cap this year, is a bargain for a really good player.

He's not worth 14 million a year. How about next time we just draft players who want to play football. He would rather smoke weed. Stop using the second round for projects.