The Big Picture of the Garrett Era

75boyz

Reaction score
This is our only realistic hope. If somehow Jerry wants to win more than his narcissism, there’s hope. If he either keeps Garrett or hires another puppet, we will know the answer to that question.

Yep, the entire post can end here...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course Booger wants to win just like I want to drop 20 lbs. I just don't want to bad enough to do what I need to do to accomplish that. Wanting to do and needing to do are not even related. And we all assume he knows what he needs to do and just hasn't done it. If he were to make McClay the GM today and turns it all over to him, is he going to deliver? If he hires the HC you want them to hire, is he going to deliver? Assumptions have been made that it would be better but are those correct?

If you want a clue to how they think, go back to a pc several years back when the subject was different teams going to the SB. The gist of their thinking was there is more luck involved than there probably is but luck is certainly a factor. The son even made a comment to the effect they're awaiting their turn. Like this happens on a rotational basis.

If they truly believe that then they take it as far as they're capable of taking it and let the football gods take over from there. Put the roulette ball in motion and hope it lands in our spot.

Couple that with Booger's lack of respect for coaching and there you are. The mystery is that Booger has said one of the most influential people in his life was his former HC at AR, Frank Broyles. He sure has a funny way of exhibiting that.

75boyz

Reaction score
after nearly 10 years of Garrett and his failures, Jones is now being called out by people he respects in the media, and not only that the fans are absolutely laughing at the Cowboys around the league and by most accounts considered a joke. I believe that Jerry now sees the jig is up and his stubborn behavior in keeping Garrett has severely tarnished not only his image but the whole organizations. I believe by not making a fan friendly hire will cause a very real revolt unlike one we haven't seen here. Jerry is having to at least entertain that his coach in training method was a huge flop and one that never matured in the 10 years he pressed for it.

My read on the situation in all honesty is Jerry is really not left with any good choice but to make a splash hire to the mob off his back. He has to be careful how he handles this decision because everyone knows the turd was never worth trying to polish, even though he stubbornly tried... Having said all of that, Jerry does have choices to make, but if he wants to save this team there really is only one choice to make and I personally believe he understands this because his face tells all! I also think he knows he has to go out and show he isn't the liability that is keeping us underachieving and the only way to do that is show he is willing to hire someone who has more control over the team and the decisions that made.

We can agree to disagree here as I know we will, but my gut is telling me something is up.

Really well stated post of what rational fans like yourself want to believe and would like to believe in as to Jerry possibly changing his spots.
I want to believe too. Your post here seems more factual than speculative from a human behavior standpoint. At least a rationally minded person would think so.

I just don't think he has it in him deep down inside to change his spots this late in life. I'm first in line at the crow eating table if he does what you describe here.

Excellent post man.

Javier

Reaction score
There is always some new excuse. Lack of QB Play, Bad Offense, Bad Defense, Bad ST

He had great QB Play, great Offenses and great Defenses and never got anything done.

The Defense and Offense this year rank Top 10 Overall, yet this Team is on the edge of missing the Playoffs and go 8-8 or 7-9.

amen

Javier

Reaction score
The excuses are detrimental for this franchise

People say JJ is the problem (I agree), but they make excuses for Garrett just like JJ does

Number1

Reaction score
If it hasn’t happened in almost ten years, it isn’t going to happen.

if he hasn't been fired in 10 years what makes you think it will happen now?

note, I mentioned in a different thread this is not a Switzer / Gailey / Campo / Phillips situation. It ain't like the players want him gone ... just folks like you, and certain drama queens in the media paid to do so.

Also please name any coach you think will do a better job of managing JJ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course Booger wants to win just like I want to drop 20 lbs. I just don't want to bad enough to do what I need to do to accomplish that. Wanting to do and needing to do are not even related. And we all assume he knows what he needs to do and just hasn't done it. If he were to make McClay the GM today and turns it all over to him, is he going to deliver? If he hires the HC you want them to hire, is he going to deliver? Assumptions have been made that it would be better but are those correct?

If you want a clue to how they think, go back to a pc several years back when the subject was different teams going to the SB. The gist of their thinking was there is more luck involved than there probably is but luck is certainly a factor. The son even made a comment to the effect they're awaiting their turn. Like this happens on a rotational basis.

If they truly believe that then they take it as far as they're capable of taking it and let the football gods take over from there. Put the roulette ball in motion and hope it lands in our spot.

Couple that with Booger's lack of respect for coaching and there you are. The mystery is that Booger has said one of the most influential people in his life was his former HC at AR, Frank Broyles. He sure has a funny way of exhibiting that.
Yes Broyles was influential and along with some of Jerry’s teammates who became coaches is why I believe Jerry wanted to buy a NFL team so he could play out his passions of coaching and running a football team without the concern of accountability most have to adhere to in football operations.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Let me say this first- yesterday’s win was great. I enjoyed watching this team whip the rams with a two by four all day long in a completely convincing fashion.

But yesterday’s win cannot erase the big picture of the last decade. Very, very few NFL coaches have more than 3-5 years to take their team to at least near championship heights. Assuming this team makes the playoffs after hopefully beating the e-girls, only 4 of Garrett’s 9 teams will have even made the playoffs.

Here’s my big point: Look at Jason Garrett’s whole resume and playoff record, not his last game. Stay in the big picture, not the small.

Let’s look at the last decade and the big picture of what Jason Garrett’s teams have in common:
  • Garrett coached teams always seem to play up and down. Three straight 8-8 seasons from 2011-13.
  • Alternating good years with bad. Good years 2014, 2016, and 2018, with bummer years 2015 and 2017, and maybe 2019.
  • Consistently poor clock management with a game on the line. How many times have we seen this coach mismanage key moments in games, especially against good opponents? Like the 2016 playoff game against the pack.
  • A complete lack of creativity or adaptability both in game and in-season. Game plans are seemingly written in stone, regardless of circumstances or what the opponent seems to be going. (Chaz Green in Atlanta?)
  • His teams are 4-5 on Thanksgiving, one of the biggest home field advantages in football.
  • In fairness, his teams have almost always played hard.
  • His teams have also won some big games. But they were either a wild card playoff game or a regular season game.
  • His teams have also lost 3 divisional round playoff games, all very winnable.
This list could go on. Garrett has had more than a fair chance to show that he can take this team where it hasn’t been in nearly a quarter century. A near decade to show he can lead this team to greatness. Keeping Jason Garrett at this point would be a farce if winning a championship is the goal. (Sadly, it may not be the goal for Jerry)

If it hasn’t happened in almost ten years, it isn’t going to happen. The Garrett expiration date has passed. The big picture says Garrett is what he is. A fairly good coach who doesn’t take teams very far in the playoffs. It’s time for a new voice in 2020.

The eagles got rid of Andy Reid because he couldn't get them over the hump, and he brought them to 5 NFC championship games and lost a super bowl. Yet, we'll keep Garrett for pretty much doing the same as Andy Reid, except we've never got nealy as far with Garrett. Makes no sense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Big picture, he sucks.

Current picture, the talent on the team is enough to beat anybody in the league.
That’s mere speculation.

The fact Jerry believes and is selling this is a SB caliber team is enough for me to throw up Red Flags.

We play the lesser teams great but not the more Elite teams which leads me to believe our talent is over hyped.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let’s assume Jerry actually believes this is a SB contender and not just selling it to the fans .

Then why in the hell is he determined to keep a HC who is holding back going to a SB?

It just doesn’t add up Cowboy fans.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That’s mere speculation.

The fact Jerry believes and is selling this is a SB caliber team is enough for me to throw up Red Flags.

We play the lesser teams great but not the more Elite teams which leads me to believe our talent is over hyped.
They just obliterated an 8-5 team....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
A 8-6 team not going to the playoffs.

How’d they fare against actual playoff teams this year?
Wind pick up? Looks like the goal posts just moved.

Record against playoff teams means absolutely nothing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wind pick up? Looks like the goal posts just moved.

Record against playoff teams means absolutely nothing.
If our coaching sucks how did we beat a team with a winning record?

You can’t have it both ways . Lol

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If our coaching sucks how did we beat a team with a winning record?
B/c we have a ton of a talent.

The coaching, in total, doesn't suck. Just the head coach. He obviously had less influence in this game than almost any other this season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
B/c we have a ton of a talent.

The coaching, in total, doesn't suck. Just the head coach. He obviously had less influence in this game than almost any other this season.
Then why can’t the talent beat playoff teams this year?

And who’s moving the goal post now? Lol

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Then why can’t the talent beat playoff teams this year?

And who’s moving the goal post now? Lol
They can, just haven't.

You. I never said anything about playoff teams. You said they only beat "lesser."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They can, just haven't.

You. I never said anything about playoff teams. You said they only beat "lesser."
And if we win division and Rams don’t make playoffs this year id define them as a lesser team.

Yea, I’m capable of breaking Par on the golf course. Just haven’t.
Pure speculation !